Sign in to follow this  
The Hebrew Hammer

Steam vs. Buying the disc?

So, about to get a computer over the holidays, I'm just wondering if I should go out and buy ArmA II: CO from a store or order the disc off of Amazon.com?

Basically I'm just wondering if I can install the game from a disc and still use Steam to D/L any DLC or updates. I've never really used a PC for gaming, I'm making the transition from an Xbox 360, so I have no idea how steam works.

Also since I'm buying it pretty late in the game, do I still need to download and install the patches? Would the original ArmA II be patched and the OA part need to be updated? And would I download only the most recent one or all of them?

To use Steam updates or Steam DLC the game has to be bought from Steam. With some games you can just enter the serial key that you get in the retail box to Steam and it gets added there, but Arma isn't one of them.

If you buy any disc version, either from store or Amazon then get the DLC from Sprocket, not Steam. Do not mix a disc version with Steam DLC.

Yes you still need to apply the patches, especially when you go for the disc version as they won't get updated.

When you have Combined Operations you only need to download the latest 1.56 patch, it updates ArmA2, OA and the BAF DLC.

1. Order Arma 2 CO from Sprocket

2. Order BAF from Sprocket

3. Order PMC from Sprocket

4. Download 1.56 patch

5. Install Arma 2

6. Install Operation Arrowhead (Arma 2 is updated)

7. Install BAF

8. Install 1.56 (Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead both updated)

9. Install PMC

10. Backup all your DLC to disk or hard drive

I use Steam for some games, but for this game I strongly recommend Sprocket, as will many others here.

EDIT - was beat to the punch, but make sure you get it from Sprocket... and enjoy the switch from the console to the good side

Edited by Mosh
stuff

Gracias amigos, will do, dunno if I'm going to buy BAF, might get PMC. I should install PMC only AFTER I install 1.56 though right?

On the note of backing up the game, should that be done on a separate portable HD? I don't know if having duplicate files would mess with the game at all.

More questions on the topic of installations of missions/mods/maps to come in the future when I get the game, needless to say I'm excited.

More questions on the topic of installations of missions/mods/maps to come in the future when I get the game, needless to say I'm excited.

Please dont, use search instead :)

If you want help in hebrew there's always the vgames.co.il Arma 2 forums, where you can even find a hebrew guide for pretty much everything you need as well ;)

Steam has the advantage of simple re-download in case of disaster (house on fire or similar) and automatic patching, but the patches do get released a few hours to a day later and require you to re-download most of the game in order to patch it.

Gracias amigos, will do, dunno if I'm going to buy BAF, might get PMC. I should install PMC only AFTER I install 1.56 though right?

Yes.

On the note of backing up the game, should that be done on a separate portable HD? I don't know if having duplicate files would mess with the game at all.

External HD, DVD or USB stick - it's up to you where you backup the downloaded installation files.

And as long as you have you password to the Sprocket shop, you can download the files from there at any time too.

There will be many, for sure. But yes, please search before asking something that has been asked before dozens of times. :)

Yep, I love this game so much I boight it twice, once through Steam and again on disc to manage the patching system. Needless to say, I use the disc system.

Like a prior poster said, love steam but not for this game.