Sign in to follow this  
blackettle

Mixing Retail DVD version with Steam DLC

If I own the retail DVD, can I still purchase the DLC content via steam and use with the DVD version? I would prefer to buy through steam than the other online retailers.

If I own the retail DVD, can I still purchase the DLC content via steam and use with the DVD version? I would prefer to buy through steam than the other online retailers.

To attempt this would be nothing short of retarded. There are about a gazillion posts stating quite clearly that this is impossible as well as Steam's own page for the DLC saying you need the steam version of the game.

Why the hell would you prefer to get something from Steam when you could just buy direct from BIS using Sprocket?

To attempt this would be nothing short of retarded. There are about a gazillion posts stating quite clearly that this is impossible as well as Steam's own page for the DLC saying you need the steam version of the game.

Why the hell would you prefer to get something from Steam when you could just buy direct from BIS using Sprocket?

if you want to help, why dont you link to the post you mentioned instead if saying his idea is retarded.

quoted in case you edit your msg and my response looks awkward.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Steam is nice because anywhere you go, your games are there. Install the Steam Client, download the game and play.

There's far too many negatives to make that feature worth dealing with steam, but for games you don't care too much about it's great. :)

Does sprocket retain a record of what I have purchased so that I do not have to repurchase again in the event my house falls into the center of the planet or is the direct target of an alien attack?

Does sprocket retain a record of what I have purchased so that I do not have to repurchase again in the event my house falls into the center of the planet or is the direct target of an alien attack?

Of course it does. :)

As long as you remember your login details for your account there, yes.

Of course it does. :)

Aw. Nice. Ok, I will get it from Sprocket then.

I actually have the game on Steam anyway, but i just use the DVD copy when I play.

(I have 2 copies of Arma2 on Steam, One copy of AO on Steam, and one copy of Combined Ops on DVD)

Btw, I bought BAF and PMC from sprocket too. At first I didn't wanted to, because everywhere they talk about the downloader and such and I really didn't wanted to install yet another-great-downloader-you-really-need.

Anyway, I couldn't resist and bought them anyway and to my great surprise, I was able to choose to download both add ons directly within the browser without any other software being installed beforehand!

IDK about you guys, but to me that's one of the best selling points you can have as a legal download site, yet I didn't find anything in the How to or FAQ. I sense more marketing potential here :-)

just my 2c

What downloader? I right clicked the link for normal web/ftp link and save to disk.

And yes I agree all this downloaders from different sites are annoying.

What downloader? I right clicked the link for normal web/ftp link and save to disk.

May I quote from http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=27 :

The delivery

Once you pay for the game, you will be redirected back to SprocketIdea.com and you will download a small file "sprocket.exe". This is the downloader that will manage the actual data transfer from our servers to your computer.

When you run sprocket.exe it will connect to the server (depending on the choices you made during the ordering process, with regard to the language version and file mirror) and start downloading the installation file. You can pause or cancel the download at any time. The downloader can resume broken downloads.

When the download is complete, the downloader runs the installation.

or from http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=41 :

Q: I downloaded a game but now I cannot find any files and the installation hasn’t started. What can I do?

A: Please check the documents/sprocket/ directory, all downloaded files should be here.

Both refer to this additional downloader software, but I couldn't find anywhere the you can just simply download the software raw through the browser anyway, which IMHO is the big plus of it.

Btw, I bought BAF and PMC from sprocket too. At first I didn't wanted to, because everywhere they talk about the downloader and such and I really didn't wanted to install yet another-great-downloader-you-really-need.

Anyway, I couldn't resist and bought them anyway and to my great surprise, I was able to choose to download both add ons directly within the browser without any other software being installed beforehand!

I agree on the downloader issue. I was actually angered when I thought I was going to have to install a downloader. Once i saw the direct link, i cancelled the downloader immediately. Happyness!

Yeah, I got the direct link and now have an executable on my hard drive which I hope to be able to use if I reformat my system rather than have to use a downloader again.

It does ask you for your reciept number when you first use it however to activate the game\addon. I hope this isn't a stumbling block next time I go to use the .exe.

Thanks

Rough Knight

Just make sure your browser/the link supports continuing an interrupted download if you use the direct link. Nothing like losing several GB of data to a little outage. Special downloader apps are annoying, but they have their advantages..

I have retail A2/OA , Sprocket BAF, Steam A2, Steam OA and Steam BAF installed.

Steam PMC automatically installed to retail A2/OA when I clicked "play" in Steam PMC, then launched the retail A2/OA.

So yes, Steam PMC should work fine with retail OA.

May I quote from http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=27 :

or from http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=41 :

Both refer to this additional downloader software, but I couldn't find anywhere the you can just simply download the software raw through the browser anyway, which IMHO is the big plus of it.

I got both BAF and PMC from www.sprocketidea.com.

I never downloaded (or installed ) any downloader from sprocketidea

I right clicked the link at the bottom where it says:

If you experience problems with downloaders, you may wish to use direct link to download with browser here

And it downloaded the full DLC installer just fine.