joehunk

Warfare BE: ACE Edition

Warfare BE ACE Edition

Warfare Benny Edition ported to ACE (Advanced Combat Environment)

Current version 2.069 [1.4]

(download link at bottom of post)

What is it?

This is a port of the excellent Warfare BE mission to use the ACE (Advanced Combat Environment) family of add ons. This is also an attempt to drum up interest in the Arma community for playing ACE-based Benny Warfare and using ACE in general, because our group has found it very fun. Finally, it's some simple instructions on how to get started.

Why play with ACE?

Because it's fun!!:yay:

ACE is a collection of Arma add ons whose mission it is to make the game more realistic and immersive, but only where that matters to gameplay and makes the game more fun. Some of the stuff I love about ACE in general and ACE-based Warfare in particular:

• Better weapon assortment. ACE uses all the Arma weapons and adds many (including original models) of their own.
  • More realistic weapon and round performance. ACE introduces a ton of new mechanics that make differences among weapons more compelling. Long barrel sniper rifles will fire a round farther and straighter than a carbine that fires the same round for instance. Base ArmA does not model this!
  • Much better sounds. Especially the sonic cracks of bullets whizzing past your ear. Prepare to be knocked out of your seat.
  • Better OPFOR/BLUFOR balance, without sacrificing realism. The number of small arms available to each side is much more similar, and a few late-model OPFOR vehicles have thermal sights (correctly) added.
  • Way, way too many little things to count...adjustable grenade launcher sights, quicker switching to sidearms to take out the bad guy when you run out of ammo, machine guns much more accurate under automatic fire when used prone with a bipod, etc., etc., etc. It's amazing really. Like a whole new game. See the ACE features page for a breakdown.

Also, man several members of the community put a TON of work into this stuff, and you should enjoy it too!

How do I download/install ACE?

This is the only hard part. If you have any problems please post here or PM me and I will attempt to help out. Heck knows I have spent many hours figuring this stuff out, and no reason everyone else should suffer as I have :)

Anyway...ACE is a series of add ons that total more than 1 gig (!!) in size. Rest assured you will never regret spending the time downloading and installing them though. You can get ACE from a couple different places.

Download from Six Updater

This is what I use nowadays. It always hosts the latest version of ACE. It's a fairly full-featured software suite however, so I am not going to try to document its full usage here. The documentation and download for Six Updater are here:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater

Six Updater also handles launching the game with the proper options, so you can skip the "launching" section below if you use it (although make sure to enable Combined Ops mode if it does not come up that way by default!). Also Six Updater has automatic support for downloading the exact versions of a mod in use by a particular server, though in my experience, most/all servers run the latest Six Updater version anyway. I just always get the latest version and I am good to go.

Download from AddonSync

Note! I no longer keep my own AddonSync server up to date. Unless you know a server to use or need to use it for some reason, I recommend using Six Updater, above.

AddonSync is available from:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/yoma-addonsync2009/files

How do I launch Arma 2 with ACE?

If you are using Six Updater, just launch from Six Updater. No additional manual steps are needed. If launching ACE manually, stop and download Six Updater :) Failing that, read on.

By default, Arma just launches in normal-Arma mode, even after you install ACE. This is a good thing because it still lets you play non-ACE Arma any time you want. You need a special shortcut to launch in ACE mode. The way you make this is different for Steam vs. other installs.

For Steam, download this file:

http://www.blackcompanywow.com/ArmA/_runA2COAce.cmd

Save it in your Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead directory. For most Steam installs, this will be "c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead". Keep the file name the same (especially the ".cmd" extension). Some browsers I have seen try to add a ".txt" extension and make the file "_runA2COAce.cmd.txt". Depending on your settings, the .txt extension may not even show up in your file window!! But somehow you have to make sure the extension is seriously no-fooling ".cmd"

Run the game by double clicking this file. You can also create a shortcut to it on your desktop by right-click dragging and saying "Create Shortcut."

For non-Steam users:

• Find the shortcut you already use to run Arma in Combined Operations mode.
  • Copy the shortcut and rename the copy "Arma ACE Combined Operations" or something like that.
  • Right click on the new shortcut and choose "Properties."
  • In the properties window, look for the "Target" blank.
  • Copy/paste the following text at the end of whatever is already in there (make sure to get the space at the beginning of the line)
     "-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy"

• Launch Arma with the new shortcut when you want to play in ACE mode.

Once you launch the game with ACE, you should see the add ons show up in a list on the right side of your screen, like so:

ModList.jpg

If you don't see them, then something is wrong. If you can't get it to work, post here or email me.

Also once again, these missions are designed to run in Combined Operations Mode which means Operation Arrowhead plus base Arma. You can tell if you're in combined ops mode because you should be able to see all the missions, scenarios, and campaigns for both games. If you cannot get this to work, also post here or PM me.

Soon, I plan on putting up a Wiki where I document Benny Warfare as a mission. I have never found a good place that explains the ridiculous number of awesome features in this mission, and I've had to figure them out by a mixture of trial and error, asking sheepish questions on Warfare servers, and in some cases reading the source code! I'll post as soon as it's up.

Dedicated Server

I have a server running the Takistan version of this mission discussed here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=110655

Come drop by, we often play evenings US Time but you are welcome to use it any time.

And now the files!

I only have a couple maps, both designed for Combined Operations mode (see above).

Changelog:

- Fixed some issues with AI purchasing troops

- Changed the AI to always use UPSMON. This seems to fix the "AI standing around" issue.

- Updated UPSMON to latest version available.

- Fixed issue that caused the Tactical menu not to come up.

- Updated to 2.071 Warfare BE code base

- Removed mando missile mod option (this is not compatible with ACE and makes the missions each about 4 meg smaller)

- Incorporated new EASA configs from woore

- Javelin CLU added

- Updated to 2.069 code base for Warfare BE

- ACE wounds can now be enabled/disabled via a parameter

- Updated to 2.067 codebase for Warfare BE

- Added a couple missing magazines

- Repair truck rebalance: repair trucks cost more, and rearming with a repair truck costs more as well. Rearming with an ammo truck is still free.

- Added maps: Fallujah, Sara, Saralite, Lingor, Isla Duala

- Consolidated all maps into a single zip file.

- Fixed bug that was causing some CSW to not be available to BLUFOR

- Added tracer rounds to a couple places they were missing

- ALL NEW! Gameplay: Defense Auto Reload parameter. You can set static defenses built from the base or repair truck to have unlimited ammo always, only when near your base, when near your base or a friendly town, or never.

- Fixed a couple issues with the new ACE Gear interface, such as respawn ruck contents sometimes being wrong.

- Added some ACE crew-served weapons available for purchase as gear

- Added some goggles/glasses for purchase

- CSW mortars bought via gear purchase enable the artillery computer for the player using them, even if the parameter for the artillery computer is turned off. This is to induce players to make more use of CSW in the game. Mortars built from the base or from a repair truck will still follow the the artillery computer mission parameter on vs. off.

- Revamped respawn penalty (still off by default). If you turn the respawn penalty on, a "respawn cost" will be displayed when purchasing gear. This is now based on how much more your gear costs than the default loadout.

7b

- ALL NEW! ACE gear purchase interface supporting ACE rucks and weapon-on-back, all part of your respawn loadout

- New gear interface shows all magazines available for a weapon in the magazine window, including grenade launchers, SMAW spotting rounds, etc.

- ALL NEW! ACE wounds enabled, all wound gear in game

- Officer class's "Spawn MASH" ability now actually spawns a MASH that works with the wound system

- Medics spawn with medical gear

- Added a few ACE crew-served weapons, including mortars.

- Normally in ACE, static defenses such as those built by the commander must be manually reloaded. To preserve the gameplay experience of the original warfare however, a script has been added that will auto-reload static defenses when they run dry. Crew-served weapons purchased as gear must still be manually reloaded.

- HuntIR monitors and rounds should now be buyable.

- New map: Zargabad

6b

- Updated to WarfareBE 2.066 code base

- Added a couple more OPFOR rifles to round out caliber/optics/grenade launcher combos

5b

- Extended JIP timeout. If you run this version in conjunction with ACE 1.7 pre-RC or later, you should not see the JIP bug.

- Added ear plugs to default loadout.

- Fixed some problems with magazines not being available for purchase.

- Third time is a charm: SMAW spotting rounds ARE actually in now, and work. You will not see them as default ammo available for the SMAW; you must purchase them from the big list, just like you do grenades for an under-barrel launcher.

4b

- Big pass over the code to clean up private arrays that could have been corrupting server variables

- Some minor bug fixes I ran across during the clean up

- JIP seems to work with the CBA hot fix (see Sickboy's post in this thread) even after the game has been up for hours

- Fixed a problem with JIP that would cause the "Loading..." screen to disappear before the game was fully loaded.

- Changed Loading text to "Loading (may take several minutes)..." since JIP does still seem to take a little bit if the game has been up a while.

- Actually added the SMAW...I screwed up in b2 and it was not showing up in the Combined Ops version

2b

- Added tracer rounds for most weapons

- Added a couple more OPFOR launchers

- Added AKMS SD as silenced option for OPFOR

- Added spotting rounds for SMAW (SMAW itself was already in there)

- Added themobaric round for RPG-7

- Extended JIP initialization timeout to 60 seconds. It just seems to be taking more time in ACE I guess. This was causing the game to get into bad state where people would join and not initialize (no Options menu etc.)

Download (all maps):

http://www.blackcompanywow.com/ArmA/WarfareBE_071_ACE_18.zip

Edited by Joehunk

Nice man! Downloading now.

EDIT:

Just played about an hour in it. Seems like everything's going good. Did you do something to the AI to let them heal themselves? I swear I saw an enemy AI heal.

Also, how do you get the AI to start buying vehicles instead of always hoofing it?

Great going by the way. No hitches at all.

Edited by zuff

Important!!

There is an issue with one of the ACE mods in the new 1.56 patch that will cause you to not be able to join the mission. There is a hot fix here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103871

(at the bottom of the post "0.7.0 with hotfix for ArmA II OA 1.56")

Also, my AddonSync server has the hot fixed version.

Heh thanks...

As far as balance, one thing I should have mentioned in the OP is my goal here is to take Warfare BE as is and make it playable in ACE by doing the minimum possible.

Currently that's not much...I added the ACE modules, added several ACE weapons, added some items you need to make the game playable (earplugs, Vector batteries) and that's all. Even wounding and vehicle repair are turned off, both because they are works-in-progress according to the ACE guys (well, wounds isn't but IS in the process of being completely revamped). Plus adding wounds means messing with medics, supporting the special inventory slots for medical supplies, etc.

EDIT:

@Zuff

Did you do something to the AI to let them heal themselves? I swear I saw an enemy AI heal.

I did not do that, no. ACE has many AI improvements though, maybe this is one? I have seen it happen too.

Also, how do you get the AI to start buying vehicles instead of always hoofing it?

You can only do this if you are commander. Go to Options -> Commanding -> Team Orders. I don't have the game in front of me now, but there is some drop down in that window where you can tell the AI generally what to build. I just figured this out myself last night. I chose something like "Mechanized Infantry: BTR" and a few moments later one of my friends who was playing said "did you just build a BTR-90? Wait, no...that's an AI!"

I am going to work on a web site to document the Warfare BE mission (what I just described above is a feature of Warfare BE, NOT something I added) because it has a righteous s^&*ton of features and I have never seen good documentation for it. This will take a while though.

Edited by Joehunk

A couple of things about the small arms...

You might want to replace the XM8 models with the HK416/417 models, XM rifles aren't used anyway. At least i haven't seen anyone using them.

Add tracer rounds.

I will dig into the mission a bit more to find weapons you could replace with ones not in vanilla ArmA 2.

Add a variety of AT launchers, afaik there are a couple more launchers for OPFOR and SMAW with spotting rounds could be added to BLUFOR.

I actually like the XM8s because they are some of the lightest rifles in the game, which matters in ACE with the Stamina system. Is there anything wrong with leaving them in and adding the 416/417s also? To my mind having a wider variety of weapons doesn't really unbalance the game or make one side more powerful, just makes it more fun. The only potential unbalance is if you add something with a capability that the other side does not have an answer for (this is why for instance I have not added the XM109 unless I could come up with a good reason both sides should have it).

You are right I should have tracers in there; will add.

I did a survey of the AT launchers and nothing jumped out at me as something that added a capability that was missing from the ones in there. But the SMAW with the spotting round is a good idea.

no problem, but sometimes you have too much to choose from... :p

The influence the XM109 has is so minimal i don't think it gives you that much edge. And it's a superheavy weapon anyway. I doubt there are more than 5 players including me who will be using it as an extreme range sniper rifle.

AKMS SD is a good thing f.e. OPFOR is missing a good SD weapon. There are other Ak variants as well that are better that the vanilla AK74 versions.

RPG 18 22 27 29

RPG-7 PGO and a variety of RPG grenades.

There doesn't have to be a counterpart for every weapon. f.e. there is no counterpart for IEDs, but it is still fun using them. Just think about that and not always balancing and balancing and balancing. Some weapons have a minor impact on the game but give some players some fun time when using them.

no problem, but sometimes you have too much to choose from

There is no such thing!!!

EDIT:

And most of the new AK variants as well as some of the new RPGs (not all) are already in there. Some require higher gear tech levels.

Edited by Joehunk

b2 now available. Incorporated most (all?) things Enforcer requested.

I am having one outstanding issue with the mission, which is that join in progress takes a REALLY long time after the game has been going a while. You'll spawn with a default loadout and no Options menu, then a minute later you will teleport to the right place, get your Options menu, and your loadout.

The game still seems to work, but it looks like it's not working for about the first 1-2 minutes after you join.

Is the server strong enough? Sometimes that happens when the server has a lot to work on.

But this delay is actually good, you can't play untill all data is sent to the client. In another mission a clanmate put a delay ( on purpose ) where you can't take any actions until all scripts and data have been sent to your client.

Ive been experiencing this on my own dedicated server since the release of 1.55.

Ive seen it in all versions of BE -- in fact the Sahrani version never loads correctly at all anymore.

From what Ive seen it appears CBA and how it initializes with the new OA version is central to the problem.

I had this issue without ACE (my standard config used GL4 and Zeus) before ACE BE came out.

The bottom line is that wihtout CBA, the init appears to take place normally, and the long (or infinite) delay in JIP init goes away.

As the OP said, it has nothing to do wiht the initial loading of the mission, as you are already standing there in-game, waiting to get the normal initial loadout for BE, you have no options menu, you respawn immediately, and in some cases you get kicked back out of the mission.

Ive asked Benny about this issue in the BE warfare thread, but have gotten no response.

If the server is yours and you can 'play' with it, try JIPing with and without CBA, after the mission has been running a couple hours. Youll probably see that with CBA the init problem is there, without it the issue is not there.

Of course youd have to do this on a standard (non-ace) version of BE.

seems i've got the same problem here, although with crCTI.

Please try if the latest available version of CBA, and this server-side fix solves the problem; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15622

Otherwise please provide rpt of server and client, as well as mission and details at http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cca/issues

also useful is at what version of CBA you noticed the issue with, how long ago etc.

Edited by Sickboy

Thanks for the post Sickboy. Am I understanding you correctly that I can patch the server and all will be well, without having to require clients to update?

I am currently testing a b4 revision of my mission where I cleaned up the code a lot. There were a couple areas where there could have been some variable corruption and I think I caught them all. It still takes a long time to join, but I have never seen the infinite loading like I did in b2 and before. Also, I tightened up the code that displays the "Loading..." screen so the screen actually stays blank and says "Loading..." until all the server data is transferred and the client is ready to go (so you never see a state where you have the wrong weapon and no Options menu). I also changed the message to "Loading (may take several minutes)..."

I will post this new version after a little more testing.

And now, a plea!

I'd love to get into some ACE Warfare games with folks, but not many people are joining our server! Again if you're having troubles joining let me know. But nowadays I am forced to play non-ACE Warfare and say "rabble, rabble" to myself when I am annoyed by the absence of the ACE awesomeness.

Replied to. I did actually see a server up running this mission...I got on and chatted to the owner (or the owner's friend maybe?) and the server is hosted in France. I had about a 170-something ping to it, but I would still play that. Maybe we'll see you there...if you stay up really, really late :)

I was very excited to try this out! Unfortunately, something goes wrong! When I try to run the cmd I get this:

fazaargh.png

What am I doing wrong here?

I ran it in cmd so I could show whats going wrong. When I double click it in windows it just pops up disappears and does nothing.

Replied to. I did actually see a server up running this mission...I got on and chatted to the owner (or the owner's friend maybe?) and the server is hosted in France. I had about a 170-something ping to it, but I would still play that. Maybe we'll see you there...if you stay up really, really late :)

I think thats mine. Hosting a server in France running this map 100%. Its up 24/7.

Twisted Few ACE warfare 32slot

Connection Info: 188.165.226.173:2302

Hosted on badass hardware and 96MBps up/down, so if your in EU region you should stay below 50ping.

Edited by Zaajko

^^Beaten..

Regarding the French server, it's run by a friend of mine and that's the reason I want to try this out!

I was very excited to try this out! Unfortunately, something goes wrong! When I try to run the cmd I get this:

fazaargh.png

What am I doing wrong here?

I ran it in cmd so I could show whats going wrong. When I double click it in windows it just pops up disappears and does nothing.

This seems like an error that might pop up if the server cannot find your Arma 2 installation. You must have Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead purchased via Steam and downloaded for this to work. Do you have a directory called "arma 2" under "steamapps\common" alongside your "arma 2 operation arrowhead" directory? If so, it could be a bug in that script that's messing up from everything being on the E: drive, I will look into it.

Thanks for posting, and let me know if you do in fact have Arma 2 installed alongside OA.

Edited by Joehunk

And now, a plea!

I'd love to get into some ACE Warfare games with folks, but not many people are joining our server! Again if you're having troubles joining let me know. But nowadays I am forced to play non-ACE Warfare and say "rabble, rabble" to myself when I am annoyed by the absence of the ACE awesomeness.

Whats your server name ?

Thanks for the post Sickboy. Am I understanding you correctly that I can patch the server and all will be well, without having to require clients to update?
Correct :) Or at least, im asking to try and confirm :P