Warfare BE ACE Edition
Warfare Benny Edition ported to ACE (Advanced Combat Environment)
Current version 2.069 [1.4]
(download link at bottom of post)
What is it?
This is a port of the excellent Warfare BE mission to use the ACE (Advanced Combat Environment) family of add ons. This is also an attempt to drum up interest in the Arma community for playing ACE-based Benny Warfare and using ACE in general, because our group has found it very fun. Finally, it's some simple instructions on how to get started.
Why play with ACE?
Because it's fun!!
ACE is a collection of Arma add ons whose mission it is to make the game more realistic and immersive, but only where that matters to gameplay and makes the game more fun. Some of the stuff I love about ACE in general and ACE-based Warfare in particular:
- Better weapon assortment. ACE uses all the Arma weapons and adds many (including original models) of their own.
- More realistic weapon and round performance. ACE introduces a ton of new mechanics that make differences among weapons more compelling. Long barrel sniper rifles will fire a round farther and straighter than a carbine that fires the same round for instance. Base ArmA does not model this!
- Much better sounds. Especially the sonic cracks of bullets whizzing past your ear. Prepare to be knocked out of your seat.
- Better OPFOR/BLUFOR balance, without sacrificing realism. The number of small arms available to each side is much more similar, and a few late-model OPFOR vehicles have thermal sights (correctly) added.
- Way, way too many little things to count...adjustable grenade launcher sights, quicker switching to sidearms to take out the bad guy when you run out of ammo, machine guns much more accurate under automatic fire when used prone with a bipod, etc., etc., etc. It's amazing really. Like a whole new game. See the ACE features page for a breakdown.
Also, man several members of the community put a TON of work into this stuff, and you should enjoy it too!
How do I download/install ACE?
This is the only hard part. If you have any problems please post here or PM me and I will attempt to help out. Heck knows I have spent many hours figuring this stuff out, and no reason everyone else should suffer as I have
Anyway...ACE is a series of add ons that total more than 1 gig (!!) in size. Rest assured you will never regret spending the time downloading and installing them though. You can get ACE from a couple different places.
Download from Six Updater
This is what I use nowadays. It always hosts the latest version of ACE. It's a fairly full-featured software suite however, so I am not going to try to document its full usage here. The documentation and download for Six Updater are here:
Six Updater also handles launching the game with the proper options, so you can skip the "launching" section below if you use it (although make sure to enable Combined Ops mode if it does not come up that way by default!). Also Six Updater has automatic support for downloading the exact versions of a mod in use by a particular server, though in my experience, most/all servers run the latest Six Updater version anyway. I just always get the latest version and I am good to go.
Download from AddonSync
Note! I no longer keep my own AddonSync server up to date. Unless you know a server to use or need to use it for some reason, I recommend using Six Updater, above.
AddonSync is available from:
How do I launch Arma 2 with ACE?
If you are using Six Updater, just launch from Six Updater. No additional manual steps are needed. If launching ACE manually, stop and download Six Updater Failing that, read on.
By default, Arma just launches in normal-Arma mode, even after you install ACE. This is a good thing because it still lets you play non-ACE Arma any time you want. You need a special shortcut to launch in ACE mode. The way you make this is different for Steam vs. other installs.
For Steam, download this file:
Save it in your Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead directory. For most Steam installs, this will be "c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead". Keep the file name the same (especially the ".cmd" extension). Some browsers I have seen try to add a ".txt" extension and make the file "_runA2COAce.cmd.txt". Depending on your settings, the .txt extension may not even show up in your file window!! But somehow you have to make sure the extension is seriously no-fooling ".cmd"
Run the game by double clicking this file. You can also create a shortcut to it on your desktop by right-click dragging and saying "Create Shortcut."
For non-Steam users:
- Find the shortcut you already use to run Arma in Combined Operations mode.
- Copy the shortcut and rename the copy "Arma ACE Combined Operations" or something like that.
- Right click on the new shortcut and choose "Properties."
- In the properties window, look for the "Target" blank.
- Copy/paste the following text at the end of whatever is already in there (make sure to get the space at the beginning of the line)
- Launch Arma with the new shortcut when you want to play in ACE mode.
Once you launch the game with ACE, you should see the add ons show up in a list on the right side of your screen, like so:
If you don't see them, then something is wrong. If you can't get it to work, post here or email me.
Also once again, these missions are designed to run in Combined Operations Mode which means Operation Arrowhead plus base Arma. You can tell if you're in combined ops mode because you should be able to see all the missions, scenarios, and campaigns for both games. If you cannot get this to work, also post here or PM me.
Soon, I plan on putting up a Wiki where I document Benny Warfare as a mission. I have never found a good place that explains the ridiculous number of awesome features in this mission, and I've had to figure them out by a mixture of trial and error, asking sheepish questions on Warfare servers, and in some cases reading the source code! I'll post as soon as it's up.
I have a server running the Takistan version of this mission discussed here:
Come drop by, we often play evenings US Time but you are welcome to use it any time.
And now the files!
I only have a couple maps, both designed for Combined Operations mode (see above).
- Fixed some issues with AI purchasing troops
- Changed the AI to always use UPSMON. This seems to fix the "AI standing around" issue.
- Updated UPSMON to latest version available.
- Fixed issue that caused the Tactical menu not to come up.
- Updated to 2.071 Warfare BE code base
- Removed mando missile mod option (this is not compatible with ACE and makes the missions each about 4 meg smaller)
- Incorporated new EASA configs from woore
- Javelin CLU added
- Updated to 2.069 code base for Warfare BE
- ACE wounds can now be enabled/disabled via a parameter
- Updated to 2.067 codebase for Warfare BE
- Added a couple missing magazines
- Repair truck rebalance: repair trucks cost more, and rearming with a repair truck costs more as well. Rearming with an ammo truck is still free.
- Added maps: Fallujah, Sara, Saralite, Lingor, Isla Duala
- Consolidated all maps into a single zip file.
- Fixed bug that was causing some CSW to not be available to BLUFOR
- Added tracer rounds to a couple places they were missing
- ALL NEW! Gameplay: Defense Auto Reload parameter. You can set static defenses built from the base or repair truck to have unlimited ammo always, only when near your base, when near your base or a friendly town, or never.
- Fixed a couple issues with the new ACE Gear interface, such as respawn ruck contents sometimes being wrong.
- Added some ACE crew-served weapons available for purchase as gear
- Added some goggles/glasses for purchase
- CSW mortars bought via gear purchase enable the artillery computer for the player using them, even if the parameter for the artillery computer is turned off. This is to induce players to make more use of CSW in the game. Mortars built from the base or from a repair truck will still follow the the artillery computer mission parameter on vs. off.
- Revamped respawn penalty (still off by default). If you turn the respawn penalty on, a "respawn cost" will be displayed when purchasing gear. This is now based on how much more your gear costs than the default loadout.
- ALL NEW! ACE gear purchase interface supporting ACE rucks and weapon-on-back, all part of your respawn loadout
- New gear interface shows all magazines available for a weapon in the magazine window, including grenade launchers, SMAW spotting rounds, etc.
- ALL NEW! ACE wounds enabled, all wound gear in game
- Officer class's "Spawn MASH" ability now actually spawns a MASH that works with the wound system
- Medics spawn with medical gear
- Added a few ACE crew-served weapons, including mortars.
- Normally in ACE, static defenses such as those built by the commander must be manually reloaded. To preserve the gameplay experience of the original warfare however, a script has been added that will auto-reload static defenses when they run dry. Crew-served weapons purchased as gear must still be manually reloaded.
- HuntIR monitors and rounds should now be buyable.
- New map: Zargabad
- Updated to WarfareBE 2.066 code base
- Added a couple more OPFOR rifles to round out caliber/optics/grenade launcher combos
- Extended JIP timeout. If you run this version in conjunction with ACE 1.7 pre-RC or later, you should not see the JIP bug.
- Added ear plugs to default loadout.
- Fixed some problems with magazines not being available for purchase.
- Third time is a charm: SMAW spotting rounds ARE actually in now, and work. You will not see them as default ammo available for the SMAW; you must purchase them from the big list, just like you do grenades for an under-barrel launcher.
- Big pass over the code to clean up private arrays that could have been corrupting server variables
- Some minor bug fixes I ran across during the clean up
- JIP seems to work with the CBA hot fix (see Sickboy's post in this thread) even after the game has been up for hours
- Fixed a problem with JIP that would cause the "Loading..." screen to disappear before the game was fully loaded.
- Changed Loading text to "Loading (may take several minutes)..." since JIP does still seem to take a little bit if the game has been up a while.
- Actually added the SMAW...I screwed up in b2 and it was not showing up in the Combined Ops version
- Added tracer rounds for most weapons
- Added a couple more OPFOR launchers
- Added AKMS SD as silenced option for OPFOR
- Added spotting rounds for SMAW (SMAW itself was already in there)
- Added themobaric round for RPG-7
- Extended JIP initialization timeout to 60 seconds. It just seems to be taking more time in ACE I guess. This was causing the game to get into bad state where people would join and not initialize (no Options menu etc.)
Download (all maps):