Sign in to follow this  
turin turambar

PMC05 - Elimination

How can i know where is the engine block of the vehicles? It doesn't appear in the thermal vision, and i need lots of shots to destroy the vehicle (which is when the "disable the engine" task is completed).

I tried to shot at the center/front and center/side but i still can't get a way to disable the vehicles without destroying them.

And i don't have enough ammo to destroy them all (yep, i already got the ammo from the back of my mate).

edit: Oh, it will appear in IR if i am close enough.

... damn, this mission is going to be hard, the last bmp2 and t34 are very close to the enemy infantry area.

Edited by Turin Turambar

It took me over one hour (ingame time) + all the dieing and loading. :) A superb mission!

This is a mission where you need to plan your tactics and approaching routes and have patience! This is what Arma is supposed to be!

edit: Oh, it will appear in IR if i am close enough.

... damn, this mission is going to be hard, the last bmp2 and t34 are very close to the enemy infantry area.

Let Asano do the job with the infantry with his silenced rifle. It worked great for me.

Yep, it's a very interesting mission. It seems hard, but it's just a question of having patience, thinking before acting, advance slowly and look carefully at your sorroundings.

And Asano is not immortal, man! :P

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH Ive just spent god knows how long on this mission.

Ive shot all enemy veh commanders and gunners killed all the infantry but dont have any ammo left to shoot engine blocks, I can ride around in a t55 as I killed the driver but when I exit the tank it blows up. so I cant even do it that way!

How many shots does it take to take out a t72, because at the start I moved all the way to the bunker where a t34 or what ever its called and put 2 clips into its engine block at the back and it did nothing, so thats why I took out all gunners!

Is my only option to re start mission and try again?

FUNKSTAR, did you empty the ammo in your (and Asano's) backpack already?

For a T72 - I think 6 shoots in the engine... Not sure anymore.

How many vehicles are there? And where are they?

I've spent the last hour just looking for vehicles.

So far i've detected and successfuly destoyed:

2x BRDM

2x T72

1x T55

1x T34

1x BMP-2

All of these tasks are completed, but the last "neutralize all vehicles" still remains. Gaaaaaaah!

How many vehicles are there? And where are they?

I've spent the last hour just looking for vehicles.

So far i've detected and successfuly destoyed:

2x BRDM

2x T72

1x T55

1x T34

1x BMP-2

All of these tasks are completed, but the last "neutralize all vehicles" still remains. Gaaaaaaah!

There's also one M113 that drives near the big crater on the eastern side of the map.

My bad I was running PMC with ACE so thats why it was doing nothing, I re did the mission with vanilla and that made it work.

I have the same issue with this mission... the Thermal Sight is not showing the engine block... the entire vehicle glows as a hot spot. You have to practically stand on the vehicle for the Thermal Sight to differentiate and display heat variance.

I turned off all my mods crawled inside of 100m's of this vehicles... and still can't tell where the engine is... the entire vehicle is glowing white hot. It's a good premise for a mission, but it's completely irrelevent if the Thermal Sight isn't working well enough to do the job the mission is based around.

Where am I supposed to shoot this BDRM exactly?

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6960/arma2oa2010120206332412.jpg

I have the same issue with this mission... the Thermal Sight is not showing the engine block... the entire vehicle glows as a hot spot. You have to practically stand on the vehicle for the Thermal Sight to differentiate and display heat variance.

I turned off all my mods crawled inside of 100m's of this vehicles... and still can't tell where the engine is... the entire vehicle is glowing white hot. It's a good premise for a mission, but it's completely irrelevent if the Thermal Sight isn't working well enough to do the job the mission is based around.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6960/arma2oa2010120206332412.jpg

Mmm try to change your detail setting and the visibility range in graphical options. Maybe it's affected with that.

Use common sence, The engine blocks are at the back of the tanks and bdrm's, bmp + 113 are transports so engine blocks are at the front left(if face on)

Plus dont use any mods for this mission, or it just wont work!

Edited by FUNKSTAR

How the hell common sense says that the engine block should be in the front left in transports? Maybe you have a different definition of common sense, mine doesn't imply knowledge or real world usage of military hardware.

I think my point here is that the premise of the Mission is to use the Thermal Scope to see where the engine is and then snipe that spot for a "vehicle-headshot" that allows you to destroy it with an infantry weapon.

However, if the Thermal Scope isn't displaying "hot spots" properly... that destroys the premise of the mission regardless of if you can still complete the mission.

The question here then is... what is wrong with the Thermal Imaging?

If I get close enough, and zoom right in on the vehicle... the thermal scope shows the hot spots, reduce zoom and suddenly the entire vehicle glows hot again.

If I remember correctly, I saw the detailed thermal imaging at least from 200+ meters...

But, I don't think that a .50 bullet can penetrate a heavy tank armour...

Surely it can't blow everything up XD

(by the way, you have a lot of rounds: in your pokets, in your backpack and in your mate's backpack)

Didn't like this mission, or the PMC overall. I wan't to play realistic scenarios, wich ARMA should be about, as ofp was. Two guys will never, ever, ever take out 10+ tanks alone with an anti material rifle. It would be suicide... in addition to impossible.

I get exited everytime BI launches a new campain, but for ages it has just been rubbish... Did you fire the story writers from back in the OFP days?

How the hell common sense says that the engine block should be in the front left in transports? Maybe you have a different definition of common sense, mine doesn't imply knowledge or real world usage of military hardware.

Sorry Im ex forces, so yes you get to slap my wrist :)

Didn't like this mission, or the PMC overall. I wan't to play realistic scenarios, wich ARMA should be about, as ofp was. Two guys will never, ever, ever take out 10+ tanks alone with an anti material rifle. It would be suicide... in addition to impossible.

I get exited everytime BI launches a new campain, but for ages it has just been rubbish... Did you fire the story writers from back in the OFP days?

This mission could have been made realistic if the enemy had a weapons cache with RPG'S but no we get Exploding tanks from Rifles

This is a great mission, it was nice to get a more slow paced, tactical mission after the more action packed start of the campaign. But I think there were too many vechicles, and I agree the tanks should not have been there.

The mission would have been better had there been only a few light armored vehicles. If you know where to hit, they can be disabled by .50 cal armor piercing ammo. But a tank, never. You could knock out the optics on a tank if you can hit such a small target, but you'd never ever get through the armor.

Also, have anyone else noticed that you seem to need to be pretty close to take out the vehicles? I took out a T-72 with 3 rounds from about 300 meters. But then I put three magazines into the engine of a T-34 from 500 meters, and nothing. Could it be that you need to be no further than maybe 400 meters away?

Edited by Johan S

As I got into this mission I actualy started to enjoy it more and more.. yes, I know that it's unrealistic that you are watching MBT's brewing up as if hit by a javelin.. but sneaking about, formulating my path and switching from one side of the map to another to get the best approach to the desired target, keeping my number 2 under control and not allowing him to engage unless a dismounted threat got a little close etc..

The only problem I had was getting my oppo to follow me down into the crater and use it as cover.. took several attempts with me having to go back and virtualy lead him down the path I needed him to follow. But really enjoyed playing it..

Use common sence, The engine blocks are at the back of the tanks and bdrm's bmp + 113 are transports so engine blocks are at the front left(if face on)

Get a change for yours - BRDM engine is at its back, like in a tank.

It isn't a transport also, BTW.

Shooting at around center of back armor plate does the trick

Get a change for yours - BRDM engine is at its back, like in a tank.

It isn't a transport also, BTW.

Shooting at around center of back armor plate does the trick

I should have put a ( , ) after brdm's so I hope that makes more sence.

I got one BMP left I think, but it knows where I am and I need to shoot it from the front! Think when I reload my current save tonight I'll try taking out the gunner first. :)

I think I had a brdm blow up by blasting a tire to nothingness.

On this mission the thermal imaging starts off good for me but degrades over a small amount of time to were I just see a plain white image of the vehicle. I have no addons running.