Sign in to follow this  
Chris2525

How about a "Fire At Position" function for direct fire weapons???

....or better yet, change the suppressive fire function so that the subordinate will fire at that spot regardless of whether he detects an enemy unit there or not. Just like the artillery "fire at position" function.

With this, it would also be useful to be able to control their rate of fire between rapid/normal/slow so that ammo can be conserved.

It would be nice if you could tell units (right down to riflemen) to fire at a particular spot in a sustained manner for the sake of suppression while you maneuver another element in for the assault - just like IRL.

It has been mentioned before and yes this would be nice.

We even have the commands needed in game (look at and fire commands)

Absolutely! Ideally, the player should be able to highlight (box) the area that he wants his subordinate to suppress.

Peace,

DreDay

i vote yes, i agree

should be such trigger, etc. in menu to order grenadiers/artillery direct from squadleader menu

yes, it is missing

artillery module is not good enough

i would love to see SP mission in which i order my cannon to fire at enemy position and than attack (some cinematic WW2 actions) , but not as artillery module

I remember in Close Combat First to Fight there was a command where you gave a "suppressive fire" command, and the team SAW gunner unleashed a 5-10 sec burst on an area, there was something similar in Full Spectrum Warrior. I think a "press space-order suppressive fire" feature would be really nice, only problem that Arma 2 units would probably use up their ammunition much more faster, ammo and resupplying was much more in the aforementioned games. But it would be nice, also a realistic option.

^^ Correct, which is why i think such a function should come with a rate fo fire selection as well.

Best soloution would be to get units to simply shoot at the highlighted area when you command "supressive fire" regardless of whether they see enemy there, and...

I'd suggest another menu item under the engage(#3) menu that allows you to tell a unit what rate of fire theyre fring with when in supressive fire. This way you could change their rates of supressive fire as the attack progresses.

In reality (at least in CDN army doctrine, im sure others are the same) you would see the supporting element firing rapitldy at the beginning of a firefight in order to initially supress the enemy, then that element would fire at a slow or normal rate (to conserve ammo) while the assaulting element maneuvers into position (i.e. to the flank) to begin their assualt, and then the supporting element would begin firing rapidly again a minute or two before the assault step off on their approach to the target. So an ability to change their rates of fire wile theyre firing would be useful in this manner.

And if you wanted to get fancy, you could add a "shift fire left" or "shift fire right" command to any units executing the "supressive fire" command to shift their fire off of the objective just beofre the assaulting element reaches the targetted area. This is done IRL during flanking attacks.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

....i guess it should be mentioned that if, while supressing an area, a target becomes visible, the ai who's supressing should try to shoot that unit.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

.....If i knew the first thing about scripting, i'd try to throw something together to accomplish this.

Maybe someone can answer a few questions for me:

1 - Is it possible to get a location (i.e. x,y,z corordinates) from pointing the cursor at a piece of ground and selecting a menu option

2 - can an object be created that only a particular unit can see, and can you make it so that said unit is guaranteed to see it so long as there nothing obstructing it's view

If the answers to all of these are "yes", then this should be simple to script...

-Add a menu command for "supressive fire".

-When activated the x,y,z coordinates of where players cursor/reticle is pointed is gathered

-an invisible object is created at that location which is only seen by the selected unit(s)

-On command "cease fire", that object disappears.

As for controlling rates of fire, i'd have no clue.

Edited by Chris2525