Sign in to follow this  
Bryce23

Converting models from sketchup to oxygen

I am very new to modeling. I downloaded sketchup and was wondering how i open sketchup models in o2. I have looked all over and cant find any instructions.

Thanks for any help.

For Sketchup, it's impossible.

For Sketchup Pro, you can export to .obj format.

Thats too bad. :(

Sketchup(Free)>File>Export>3D Model...

...export as a .dae. Which is a collada file. Open the .dae in Blender (or whatever 3D apps you have to hand that read .dae files) and save as .obj (or using Leopotam's .p3d plugin save as .p3d)... open in O2.

export as .kmz in Sketchup... the .kmz file is just a .zip file... rename it as a .zip. Extract it. It'll have a .kml file within (rename it as a .xml)... has relevant info inside. Also, .zip contains a .dae as well... same as previous... open in Blender save as .obj or use Leo's plugin...

Have fun.

Cheers, Sy.

PS. If you get stuck do a 'Google Search'...

PS2. Oh yeah, You might have to re-orient the model space... it's z-up in Sketchup...

Edited by Synide

As a side note, 3ds max 2011 can import skp files directly, without additional plugins. I know max license costs a lot, but:

1. if you are a student, you can get it for free

2. you can always get the 30day trial

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

PS2. Oh yeah, You might have to re-orient the model space... it's z-up in Sketchup...

..like it should be :P.

Never understood software where Y is up (in fact i have set both modo and maya with Z-up..maybe because max got me used to that. Only Zbrush doesn't have that option).

just fyi, most sketchup models are double sided so make sure u delete all the back facing polygons. if you dont, you will end up with a huge mess to clean up.

Hi folks,

there's another way to show and convert the sketchup files directly. Try "Deep Exploration", it's a very powerfull tool. You can save the model in 3ds, so it's no problem to import in oxygen.

One would conceive that TOP is asking how to convert from sketchup because he doesn't want to buy or download expensive 3d software. Once you start getting 3rd party softwares involved, there's plenty of ways to do it.

Never understood software where Y is up.

Because in any real 3d GAPI (DirectX, OpenGL, Xna, and others) Y-axis marked as "Up", X-axis marked as "Right". Z-axis direction in RHS (right hand systems like OpenGL, Xna) marked as "Backward" (to viewer) and in LHS (left hand systems like DirectX) - marked as "Forward". Any Z-up systems just fakes. :)

while all that is true leo, i still find it strange when my mind system works with Z up (since all the math geometry works that way).

Architecture CAD software (my main use for autodesk software etc), work that way, independent of directx or opengl space systems, but rather based on world (math) systems.

exporting always allows me to select the axis i need up anyways, it is just for a question of sanity here :L

anyhow, we are diverging from the subject