Sign in to follow this  
santafee

ARMA 2:OA beta patch 75666

ya, its funny how people which dont got issues claim that its the harware of those with troubles now. ITS NOT!
Very true, that is actually what's known technically as "bollocks" :)

Also check the 1.55 official thread in general sections, plenty of machine specs higher than other specs having inconsistent issues on all platforms.

And I agree I have not changed rig or settings since 1.54 vanilla and all betas and 1.55 and yet experience similar, of which I never experienced since I got Arma2 on release day .. up to OA and up to 1.54 then up to 2 last beta just prior to 1.55 = issues and lod, slowing down re draw and having to alt tab to fix randomly. flickering textures, odd heli flight etc etc.

Mind you me thinks it pretty clear its happening to the ones who need to know the most, no matter what "im all right jacks" actual say it is, after all they aren't the ones that can fix it :)

The people who are ok and ones who are not can draw a pattern I hope, so reporting its ok is fine, telling others that have issues its hardware is the bollocks part :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Despite the known bugs performance with 75666 and Catalyst 10.10e is really great.

Could anyone please confirm -

the very last version in which i could buy units in warfare (CTI) mode was official 1.54 (1.54.72888)

In any latest beta and official 1.55 buying menu is just blank.

Using combined operations (ArmA 2 dvd + A2OA dvd). Thoughts that i'm the only one with such problem just makes me crazy :mad:.

I lowered the view distance to 2000 just to make sure, but it didn't help. So it doesn't matter if my view distance is on 2000 or 5000 the issue is still there. The only way to make it go away is to put everything on low but even then LODs fail to load if there's fighting going on.

**MOVED TO PATCH 1.55 TOPIC**

**Please moderator, delete this post**

Beta patch 75666 does its job and fixed the problem it was supposed to fix.

Edited by xjiks

Beta patch 75666 does its job and fixed the problem it was supposed to fix.

Maybe for you but as you can read, quite a few people not having (major) issues before started to get issues with 1.55 and still have with 75666 beta so something is clearly not right.

/KC

eww..they really let us wait with a new beta which fixes the Texture Problem;-(

let us test a current build BIS, so we can be sure we can play again with PMC!

Very true, that is actually what's known technically as "bollocks" :)

you have to start somewhere, and H/W is the first to check. I can not reproduce the issues some players are talking about. Hope Bis can.. oh and the zfighting is even less on Cherno now with the 666.

Also i use alot less RAM now on the 75xxx compared to the 1.54,73xxx+, which they would/could run out of RAM error, so alot is fixed.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I lowered the view distance to 2000 just to make sure, but it didn't help. So it doesn't matter if my view distance is on 2000 or 5000 the issue is still there. The only way to make it go away is to put everything on low but even then LODs fail to load if there's fighting going on.
It does matter when you get the rightbalance for your 512mb card, which in my testing is really best @ 1280/1024, no AA, no shadows, VD -1200max, no PP, normal Obj,no Terrain ,high or VH texture. AF disabled.

When fighting happens then your on the CPU. VD and AI are CPU intensive. If your still playing Redhammer, then you will always have issues.

For those who have the lod issues, send them (Bis) a mission or test setup they can try.

I have observed heavy LOD switching all along the recent beta patches (at least two betas) and now in patch 1.55 as well. I just put myself next to a forest on Chernarus, set the game speed to 0.1 and zoomed in.

To be admired here (Youtube), please make sure to view in full HD. At the end of the video I am showing my video settings. I usually get about 55fps, the low FPS are due to Fraps. So there's no performance issue that would cause this I'd say. It seems more inherent to the rendering techniques used to squeeze out more FPS. Works counterproductive on my system.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

you have to start somewhere, and H/W is the first to check. I can not reproduce the issues some players are talking about. Hope Bis can.. oh and the zfighting is even less on Cherno now with the 666.

Also i use alot less RAM now on the 75xxx compared to the 1.54,73xxx+, which they would/could run out of RAM error, so alot is fixed.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

It does matter when you get the rightbalance for your 512mb card, which in my testing is really best @ 1280/1024, no AA, no shadows, VD -1200max, no PP, normal Obj,no Terrain ,high or VH texture. AF disabled.

When fighting happens then your on the CPU. VD and AI are CPU intensive. If your still playing Redhammer, then you will always have issues.

For those who have the lod issues, send them (Bis) a mission or test setup they can try.

Comon...I also got a HD4850 with only 512 MB. The game just run great with 1.54 without those heavy texture switching. Also i can play the game with very high textures and texture memory, usually the textures just load very less slower. Its the patch and its bugged, we dont need to discuss this 100x times more now, even if you dont got issues.

To be admired here (Youtube)

thx for the video. I have same troubles on my ATI HD5870 1GB / intel core2quad9550 /win7x64

I also experience this "funny" LOD switching though game runs better with this beta patch, still ingame vsync overides my GPU settings while I can enforce AA and AF no matter what settings I have ingame.

Mainboard: ASUS P6T

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz

RAM: 4GB Corsair

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 10.8)

Sound: M-Audio 2496

I keep getting a massive drop in fps after about 10 minutes of play with latest beta

The RPT is so long it took forever to scroll

Ok, I tested a lot with this beta, with and without mods, and game is runing fine in my system except for this LOD flickering occurring at a distance around 500 m (viewdistance in my settings is 2288). No more freezing or CTDs and massive frame drops are gone.

Regarding the vsync facts I previosly stated, the action of enabling or disabling it while ingame actually stresses the system and trouble happens but when starting the game with vsync enabled everything works as expected, very smooth.

RAM usage in 1.54 was around 1.6 GB, with 1.55 the system was paging stuff up to 2.5 GB. Now we're back at usual levels

Mainboard: ASUS P6T

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Catalyst 10.8)

Sound: M-Audio 2496

Ticket already opened since a long time for this : http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15073

"Demo" mission already there, bu anyway putting a man facing trees on Chernarus is not exactly an interesting "repro step".

It happens everywhere on Cherna, on any mission. It doesn't look dependent on the mission's situation, 1 single player on an empty map is enough.

It is not dependent on CPU/GPU load, graphics settings all the way down shows the same issue.

Something has gone wrong in the rendering, most probably, as simple as that. It is not a shame to point it out to BI, quite the contrary, there's nothing wrong with bug reporting.

I don't understand why trying so much to blame it all on a client hardware issue, instead of simply.... reporting a bug....

Still noticing the AI soldiers standing and spinning in various situations, in combat as well. Maybe while trying to acquire a target?

anyway putting a man facing trees on Chernarus is not exactly an interesting "repro step".

If you are referring to my video - purpose was just to illustrate the behaviour on my machine in detail, no more no less.

Purpose of this dynamic LOD switching seems clear - increase performance. This has been introduced in Arma 1 already. It's only now that apparently something was changed in the code which causes this violent switching no matter whether the game observes FPS degradation or not.

And my humble request would be to offer the user an option to determine the amount of LOD switching activity himself.

Or embed it into the Texture Quality control (Highest - minimum LOD switching activity, Lowest - switch as of 1/10 distance in FOV) or whatever.

I just don't like this crappy picture being rendered all around me @55fps; this doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

If you are referring to my video -

Absolutely not, quite the contrary your video helps figuring out the issue :)

I was refering to the demand of a demo mission when anything can be a demo mission, as the problem is not mission specific at all