ZeroG

ZGM Mapmaking Tutorial

... check the link in the post above yours, Wael... ;)

... welcome to the Forums, by the way!

B

yea i already checked it and this is the one i already finished i thought that this part two is a separate one, however i think i will switch to a new tut becuase this one is not finished and i really want to make my own terrian, it's very too bad because this one was pretty good and easy to follow :( so do you recomend any other one or i have to give up on this terrian

thanks anyways for the reply :)

There's no all-in-one, beginning to end tutorial - mainly 'cause theres so many different types of terrain...

They all have the basic structure and files in common though...

If you haven't already done it I'd suggest Sgt Ace's Tutorial, or possibly better still, my own Beginners Guide (follow the "absolute beginners bit if you want to, otherwise skip to the main section)

A good read thru that and a look at the accompanying source files and you should have a good understanding of the basic structure...

After that... well it starts to depend on what you want to make... if you're thinking of a realworld terrain then ZeroG's tut here at least starts to cover that (though it's written in "ongoing blog" form, so part 3 has yet to appear)...

If you're thinking more of an "imaginary geotypical" terrain like one of Icebreakrs fine examples, then you'll need to make a heightmap - searching this forum section for "heightmaps" and "l3DT" will turn up some info...

Either way, you'll need a Satellite and a mask layer... the satellite image might be a real one - or synthetic and hand-drawn... again, there's no real full-blown tutorials around but there's a few threads on each topic with good information...

Laying roads is a little issue all in itself - for that, check my website again for "Alliex's Roads Tutorial", plus search these forums .... again... try searching for "RoadPainter"...

B

ok thanks im working on that now but i got a problem with the forest creation in ZGM tut i do as he says exactly and i cant find the button scripts< import objects

i can find (add & run script) and when i do that and choose my file after scripting i see anything even when the button show natural objects is on do you think that it is from my PC because it did that when i was making the background image and when i reduced its quality it appears

ZeroG hasn't been around for a while, I'm afraid... still - you can get his most recent version of this tutorial from my little website - "Resources & Tutorials" section - under "Tutorials"...

I'd also strongly suggest you take a look at Mondkalb's new Terrain Tutorial

... and possibly Bush's Beginners Guide for initial setup and a more detailed discussion of the basic fileset...

B

Heya!

Yeah indeed, I haven't been doing maps or ARMA2 in general for like 9 months, because I had big time RL stuff to do this year. However, this phase is over and seeing tutorials like B's and Mondkalb's really motivate me to finish my map and the tutorial...at least I hope the process won't change too drastically until A3 is released :)

At first, find that the ASTER GDEM has received a quality upgrade recently, which means that folks like me should download the new DEM if they have old data stored on their PC to make sure they have an accurate heightmap.

ASTER GDEM IMPROVEMENT

Hello everyone! :) I try to make my own terrain thanks to ZeroG's tutorial !

However I would like a small help with coordinates. According to page 10 of the tutorial I have to import my coordinates in Universal Map Downloader. In ZeroG's pictures the coordinates are in decimal format (he uses Global Mapper 11) but I use Global Mapper 13 and the coordinates appear in the following format for example ( 38° 00' 29.3774" ). How can I convert this coordinate in a decimal format?

You can set Global Mapper to use Decimal Degrees instead of the default Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format (Tools > Configure > "General" tab) and/or use an online converter like This One

B

Hello guys!

I will post more and more parts of the tutorial in the same speed as I create my map, making it a kind of mapmaking BLOG :)

Feel free to comment, feel motivated and be patient :)

PART 1 begins with fetching real life DEM and ends with the implementation of the satellite image as background in VISITOR 3.

PART 2 deals with the usage of shapefiles and placement of large forests.

ZGM MAP MAKING TUTORIAL PART 1 & 2

Dear ZeroG,

I was rtying to download your tutorial. Unfortunatly I got an error message with this link http://78.47.95.193/ArmA%20II/Tools/ZGM%20ARMA%202%20Map%20Making%20Tutorial%20PART%201&2.pdf

Could you check it out?

Thanks,

Frank