Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: VBS2 Discussion thread - the one and only

Snow and Biotopes are easily doable in A3, Biotopes is pretty much pure scripting and there were community made systems in A2 that worked close to it.

Desctructable buildings is neat, but I'll be really impressed when I see it on buildings with complex textures, as how they are doing it now seems to be a fairly simple solution compared to other game engines (but good progress).

Vehicle slippage/traction control could be modeled in A3 (a bunch of those features are already included in A3, just not fully utilized).

Remember that VBS3 brings the core of the engine up to RV4, which is A3. VBS3 has additional features on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by NouberNou View Post
    Snow and Biotopes are easily doable in A3, Biotopes is pretty much pure scripting and there were community made systems in A2 that worked close to it.

Desctructable buildings is neat, but I'll be really impressed when I see it on buildings with complex textures, as how they are doing it now seems to be a fairly simple solution compared to other game engines (but good progress).

Vehicle slippage/traction control could be modeled in A3 (a bunch of those features are already included in A3, just not fully utilized).

Remember that VBS3 brings the core of the engine up to RV4, which is A3. VBS3 has additional features on top of that.
    I'll believe you when I see proof that these things can be done in Arma 3. It's not that I don't think you can do it, it's just that there could be unforeseen roadblocks. (Excluding destruction as we need the game to get support for it.)

---------- Post added at 03:42 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NouberNou View Post
    Vehicle slippage/traction control could be modeled in A3 (a bunch of those features are already included in A3, just not fully utilized
    What? I searched for such a thing but never found it in Arma 3's configs.

Quote Originally Posted by ProGamer View Post
    I'll believe you when I see proof that these things can be done in Arma 3. It's not that I don't think you can do it, it's just that there could be unforeseen roadblocks. (Excluding destruction as we need the game to get support for it.)

---------- Post added at 03:42 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

What? I searched for such a thing but never found it in Arma 3's configs.
    I already posted a proof of concept of the snow system a couple pages bac, what they are doing is just using a finer mesh than I am (probably dynamically changing mesh resolution based on what needs to be rendered, for example edge pieces along roads and around buildings have a higher mesh complexity than general terrain coverage.

The Biotopes is basic procedural generation of terrain objects. Look at Dynamic-AI-Creator for A2, it had a number of functions that did this.

Vehicle slippage combines a lot of the improved gearbox system that is configable in A3, along with some of the slippage features they already had in VBS2. It is not hard to simulate this in A3.

Bigger question is are the Personal Edition owners eligible for the upgrade
    ~The bearly literate pugilist~
    MP: Black Amish

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by froggyluv View Post
    Bigger question is are the Personal Edition owners eligible for the upgrade
    No one knows, the last update was that we would find out in December. That was a couple of months ago.

We are still thinking about VBS3 Personal Edition (PE). Generally we don't see any negatives. It's cool how PE users help out our non-PE users on our forums - the PE users know their stuff! We are also considering alternative pricing models to make it more accessible (no promises)

For the record, VBS3 is not directly based on the Arma3 engine. We branched following Arma2, and now we bring tech across as we need it. We still work fairly closely with the game team but military requirements continuously take VBS away from the Arma engine. Every now and then tech goes the other way, for example the thermal model in Arma is based upon the VBS implementation.

The new snow tech was built for the Swedes, because apparently they have a lot of snow. It was going to be an offline implementation (i.e. convert a terrain to be snowy), but the programmers figured out how to do it all at runtime using shader magic. We're quite proud of it. Lakes and rivers will freeze as well. Snow + biotopes allow us to build a single terrain for all four seasons.

I'm happy to answer questions on VBS if you like. We are strongly focused on military simulation but many of our team come from the OFP and Arma communities. We are always looking for new hires in Prague and Orlando, btw

Quote Originally Posted by snYpir View Post
    We are still thinking about VBS3 Personal Edition (PE). Generally we don't see any negatives. It's cool how PE users help out our non-PE users on our forums - the PE users know their stuff! We are also considering alternative pricing models to make it more accessible (no promises)
    Would that mean existing PE owners are repayed the difference from when they bought it? joking.

Wow, the physics-based destructible buildings and slip regulation look amazing! I wonder if the latter also works with differential effects, so that one must use differential lock to gain extra traction!

"A generation that has taken a beating is always followed by a generation that deals one."
    - Otto von Bismarck

So for realism it was VBS2<Arma 2 ACE but now it's VBS3>Arma 3. Wish we could get updates like these in Arma 3. Can any of this be modded into Arma 3 with the quality and realism?

Yes. All of it I would like would think think.

Wish we could get updates like these in Arma 3. Can any of this be modded into Arma 3 with the quality and realism?
    Full PhysX implementation is the best way for many of these features to be implemented. And you have to go the whole way to do it right. E.g. the only reason the tank can destruct the building is because both the tank and building are simulated using PhysX.

PhysX does allow differentials to be simulated to a high degree of fidelity. PhysX is really awesome

Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast