Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

maps under construction:

Thank you for the info. If you read my earlier post, you'll see that I've created my terrain outside V3 (QGIS + GIMP + L3DT + Wilbur to be exact). I use World Tools and Road Painter. I also used some of mikero's tools and I used 3DE in Arma but AFAIK 3DE is not compatible with Arma 2, am I wrong? But there is a lot of things that to my best knowledge can't be done to fix V3's unwanted behaviour as e.g. the problem that the only way to import objects to V3 is by ImportObjects script which every time it is run it generates random sizes, direction etc. of objects (based on V3 project settings), is there any community tool to overcome this?

Well to start a list (or project space) to gather all the issues and annoyances of V3, and want to have features would be a good start to give tool designers and programmers a better idea and something to start with - agreed?

This is what I mean by people need to start/continue working on the vision. :)

Agreed.

And I just started to dream about using some kind of opensource GIS software (my favorite QGIS for example) as a common platform for making source files for V3 (by converting all the dispersed community tools used for one purpose into QGIS plugins that generate appropriate files...). It could be an open source imitation of the quoted earlier TerraVista TerraSim... Just dreaming :)

Edited by lecholas

There is almost nothing in a pew (V3) file that is relevant to the exported, unbinarised, wrp output. Put another way, there are only three, very simple, structures in an exported wrp. The elevations, the textures used, and the location and name of each p3d. All three of which would be easily creatable from a foreign source. All the complications of a pew such as roadnets, town-names etc, simply don't exist at the wrp level. they are pew / v3 concoctions .

creating a 'better' island building tool might be difficult, I, would not know. But, exporting the data from that tool or series of tools to wrp is the easy bit.

ImportObjects script which every time it is run it generates random sizes, direction etc. of objects (based on V3 project settings), is there any community tool to overcome this?

lecholas,

Back in the ofp days I used a program called ezmacros to do what you are looking to do. Basically you set up an excel spreadsheet with the object names (paths), then a random direction RANDBETWEEN(0,360), random location within the specified area, and finally a random size (I believe I used something like RANDBETWEEN(.09,1.1) to give some variation. This will allow you to populate a large square area so you only have to go through add around the edges. The downside is that you will have to manually record the first macro which means alt tabing and using keystrokes to copy and past. Once it is done all you have to do is speed up the macro and go get a beer while hundreds of objects are placed. As I don't have the program anymore I'm going to purchase it again and give it a shot on my project today. If you are interested shoot me a pm and I'll let you know how it turned out.

JeffS

Oh... On topic. I began my first island since the OFP days. It is called Waldron and based off of the Waldron Island located in East Sound Washington. The Map is 10240 by 10240 but about half is ocean. It's been ages since I've done this and it seems to be more difficult than I remember so I don't expect anything in game for a few months. I'm using 1/3 sec dem data. The end goal is to have a dedicated training area (ranges, land nav course, etc).

Edited by vasf_jeffs

lecholas,

Back in the ofp days I used a program called ezmacros to do what you are looking to do. Basically you set up an excel spreadsheet with the object names (paths), then a random direction RANDBETWEEN(0,360), random location within the specified area, and finally a random size (I believe I used something like RANDBETWEEN(.09,1.1) to give some variation. This will allow you to populate a large square area so you only have to go through add around the edges. The downside is that you will have to manually record the first macro which means alt tabing and using keystrokes to copy and past. Once it is done all you have to do is speed up the macro and go get a beer while hundreds of objects are placed. As I don't have the program anymore I'm going to purchase it again and give it a shot on my project today. If you are interested shoot me a pm and I'll let you know how it turned out.

JeffS

I must look into it. But AFAIK visitor script 'import objects' can't read externally defined (through the spreadsheet for example) object size. It will always change it randomly based on the project settings for the corresponding object template. Or did I misunderstand you? I don't really get it how you want to insert the objects from the spreadsheet into Visitor with some macros...

For now I think that World Tools are much better for random creation of objects than any spreadsheet ;)

But AFAIK visitor script 'import objects' can't read externally defined (through the spreadsheet for example) object size. It will always change it randomly based on the project settings for the corresponding object template. Or did I misunderstand you? I don't really get it how you want to insert the objects from the spreadsheet into Visitor with some macros...

Back in the day I actually had a macro go through and "manually" perform the placement of objects by copying and alt tabing to vistor each of the attributes. You're absolutely right that there are some much better tools than this, I am just finding out about them as I've not done this in years. It took me about an hour to set up but I was able to generate a forest with random tree sizes last night, but as the macro is running it meant I didn't have access to my pc for some time.

Jeff

@lecholas: after any importing session from WT you can turn back to natural/artificial objects and change settings -inside V3PE- for next importing session... for example, you can import inner part of forest with bigger pine trees -already set in natural objects- and then change those models settings again, giving them a more little size -30% - 10% and make a mask for the outer part of same forest... then, when you import this new part from WT you will have those areas with the same model but V3PE will place them with the new settings, since it only affects new placement of same model but do not affect that same model that was already placed on map with its own properties... hope I made myself clear... saludos!

Yes, it's clear. I know I can do it like this, but it's a lot of work, especially if you use different forest types. I wonder if it is possible to edit the import objects script that it reads externally defined size of an object...

Also you can make a selection within V3PE and then CRTL+C and then delete those selected objects... then change settings for those models and then SHIFT+V (paste absolute) ... hope it helps ;)

Maybe someone has an idea,

just a few days ago I had to export and reimport my objects an terrain due to making a new project file cause of ghost road pieces from roadpainter actions.

Since I have done this, my ingame map cloak all object and vegetation markers when I zoom a little bit out, until I get them back in sight I have to zoom very deep in, before the reimport it works fine as on every map.

An Idea? :)

First serious try of myself to bring up an Island ingame into the ArmAverse. I created the height- and texturemap by using L3DTpro, but I am yet in a very early stage, as I simply brought

the Island ingame. Currently it has a placeholder SatMap and just one grass texture, no objects so far. If this will become a project which might have a chance to be released to the public...I´ll let you know.

So far, welcome on Isla Sorner (hope that name doesnt exist already :D )

http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/120602/d3ei37xv.jpg

http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/120602/guysz5ml.jpg

http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/120602/nc5fdz2v.jpg

Edited by MemphisBelle

Gnat;2161874']Looks good! .... and very .... green ;)

lol, yeah, thats true. it is indeed quite green. It is because I used the L3DT texture map as Sat map...but this is just a placeholder...as I wrote above ;).

I still need to find my own way to create a Sat Map I dont delete again and again because I dont like it...May be you´ve got some advices for me :)

This looks nice. Kinda reminds me of the original Flashpoint maps.

Jens

This looks nice. Kinda reminds me of the original Flashpoint maps.

Yeh it does.

Good job

Still working on BearRocks in order to correct objects misplacement,

Still wondering if I am going to build a BearRocks Winter version,

Still working a bit on Adoville, a small I44 dedicated terrain build at one of my Clan ADO buddy. I fact this terrain was built as a test map before larger projects dedicated to I44, Carentan and Drouville.

All other projects, meaning :

- Brik EXtended

- Sbrodjistan

- Trois-Ponts

- Drouville

- Carentan

are cancelled ... due to

1° RL issues (health, ...)

2° Main rig destruction (do not play an extralarge Civ V map on veryhigh on a ATI6970 ... )

3° Iron-Front release

4° All the fuss about Arma3 (E3 news, upcoming A3 "Community Alpha" release ...)

Edited by Old Bear

Update for belfast here's a video i made a month or so ago lots have changed since, as I have been making models to make it look more UK\NI.

I am slowly getting there hopefully i will release a beta in a month

Area is only 2kmx2km but is highly detailed i have tried to use more non bis addons to get the right feel.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

@SmokeDog i like it:)

i have made a simple intro Mission for the map i am working on.

I hope you guys like it.:o

It is a 20.4 x 20.4 km Map based on real terrain somewhere between Pakistan and Afghanistan.