Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

ShackTac Movement addons

Introducing the ShackTac Movement addons, by Rg

If you've ever hung up in a doorway, on a tree, or generally found yourself falling all over yourself in close-quarters movement, you're going to get a kick out of this. "ST Movement" is a set of two tiny addons that bring a welcome change to your ArmA2 movement model.

The first, st_collision, is based on an addon concept by Rocko and Kju from the ArmA1 days, redone in ArmA2 by Rg. This addon causes your weapon collision with the environment to be significantly toned down, meaning that you can now move sideways through doorways and generally find CQB to be enjoyable, versus feel like a rusted robot trying to navigate a terrifying alien world called 'indoors'. Try it out and see, it's simple and very noticeable.

The second may or may not be a big deal, depending on how you move around in ArmA2. There is a combination of keys in A2 that, for reasons unknown, triggers you into a several-second-long evasive-sideways animation. Personally, this used to get me in trouble (or killed) frequently. The st_evasive addon simply removes this animation from the player's movement system, preventing any key combination from accidentally triggering it.

Both addons can be seen in video form here:

File mirrors/sites: Please do not mirror this addon. The above link can be shared instead; it's a 3KB addon set, after all. ;)

Edited by Dslyecxi

Nice one but I think you should include a key/signature specific to this mod as I assume adding shacktac.bikey to our server would mean we'd be permitting the ST HUD mod also?

I'd always wondered what was up with the slow sidestepping move, good to know I wasn't the only one. These should come in useful.

The "st_collision" may cause any side effect like clipping issues or "firing throught walls" ? Or is a win-win situation?

Just by watching the video the game seems a lot more smother. Kudos.

A very small addition, with a very big outcome, Nice One on thinking this up :)

The "st_collision" may cause any side effect like clipping issues or "firing throught walls" ? Or is a win-win situation?

Just by watching the video the game seems a lot more smother. Kudos.

The A2 weapons fire from the chamber, not the muzzle, so while you can stick the muzzle into/through thin walls in theory, you can't shoot through them, due to the chamber still being on the 'correct' side of the wall. So, no, you should not see any exploits like that, to the best of my knowledge based on having played with it for awhile now.

Awesome nice job lads the side step animation really annoys me will test asap :)

Just tried it in-game and the difference is quite phenomenal, great mod.

I have to say this is a fantastic mod, I can't overstate the improvement to CQB. The slight incongruity of gun barrels clipping through walls is massively outweighed by the improvement to indoor movement.

The changes made in st_collision should be implemented in an official patch, such a huge gameplay improvement. :)

Awesome, I was talking about this thing a lot of times.

But is it just me or is the link bugged?:mad:

Nice one :)

One thing though. I see the key is called: shacktac.bikey. This is the same NAME key as used for @sthud. As the dedicated server holds a keys directory where all are listed it will override the other. Unless they are identical internaly this holds a conflict.

They signed the addons with the same key as sthud.

If you already have the shacktac.bikey on your server, no need to add anything.

It's much nicer now that I'm not getting stuck when moving around buildings all the time, or accidentally triggering that annoying animation when I apparently press some obscure key combination. :p

Thanks for this, guys!

I never had that animation problem, i guess it depends on how you redefine your keys?

Anyway, thank you very much for both addons.

The new collision makes a really huge difference.

A brilliant addon, works perfectly [A2 standalone as yet] & does everything it sets out to do, Woo! No more sticking to objects or having to reverse down narrow passages because you can't turn round even with your rifle lowered.

Thanks!

:respekt:

Carl