Sign in to follow this  
Ripsaw5165

Who's overclocking their CPU or GPU(s) to aid Arma 2 & OA performance?

I can't really OC my CPU being a laptop and all, unless SetFSB might work which I haven't tried yet (2Ghz Intel Q9000 Quad Core).

I did, however, overclock my ATI HD4650M (mobility) videocard and it takes the overclocking like a man. Used RivaTuner after modding Rivatuner's .cfg file with the device ID for the RV730 GPU (9480h). I am able to run Arma 2 and OA with no glitches, crashes or artifacts with the GPU at 700mhz (factory default was 550mhz) and the GDDR3 ram at 800mhz (default 600mhz). I am actually surprised that it tolerates that high of an overclock. Tested with Furmark GPU stability test in Extreme Burning mode (100% GPU loading), full screen with GPU-Z running in background monitoring GPU temperature. GPU temps only ran about 10 deg C higher than default clock speed temps, even at 700mhz. All of this only gains me a few fps, however, because I am CPU limited by the 2Ghz. But its nice to know my humble mobility Radeon can run at desktop speeds (Mhz) without issues (so far...). My hat is off to HP for choosing to use the GDDR3 ram version of the card in their machine, just wish the bus was 256 instead of 128, but again not much matter due to my being CPU limited anyhow in Arma2.

I was overclocking both before I got my 3GHz 3-core CPU. Now I'm running without overclock. Seems like it takes 3GHz to really run this game.

Q6600 2.40ghz now @ 3.00ghz

stable and helps FPS in all games a surprising amount.