Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make grass near player transparent when prone

Make grass near player transparent when prone

People in real life can easily see through grass when hiding because they have 2 eyes. Inside ArmA II they can't because technically everyone is a cyclops. With 2 eyes that are at slightly different distances, one eye can see what the other can't.

This picture is a good example if you have viewed stereo photography before:

The only game that has kind of compensated for it is Battlefield Vietnam where grass near player becomes transparent. It would be much more realistic for people going prone to see through the grass, they'd be more like ambushers instead of sitting ducks.

And here we go again :-)
    Aren't here on the forums already enough topics about grass and how it should be "fixed"?

Don't get me wrong, i am not against your idea entirely, but my personal experience of sneaking around in high grass in RL is little different - whether you can see something depends not only on your mono vs. stereo vision, but also on the character of the grass and its density which plays the most important role.
    And usualy, the grass is dense enough to obstruct your view like it is in game now.

When speaking about 5 straws just in front of your face, then yes, you are right, you should be able to see "around" it.
    But if we are speaking about area full of grass, then no, no way you could be able to see anything except just grass from your prone position.
    MSI P55-GD65 | Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | 4GB DDR3 | ATI HD 5970 (Asus EAH5970​/G​/2DIS​/2GD5) | OCZ Revo 120GB PCIe SSD | 2x OCZ Vertex 4 120GB |
    Windows 7 64bit Home Premium | Catalysts 13.1 | ArmA2 OA 1.62.0.101480 (beta) +BAF +PMC +ACR | ArmA2 1.11.0.86734 | ArmA 1.18.0.5281 | OFP 1.0.0.96

Be smart, use Sprocket!

If you end up like sitting ducks during an ambush, then something is very wrong about that ambush plan Like, failure to see grass as an obstacle to consider, and failure not to overcome it by choosing a different location.

I don't mind high grass in Chernarus, in fact I want it, but I would like more tactical possibilities to get around it. So that when coming to a location, you can study the grass and deliberately avoid areas of high grass, and choose avenues of approach where you can actually shoot back. Overwatch positions are made a bit too difficult, since hills tend to always be covered with dense trees and tree crowns that block your view.

In Takistan (and Utes), grass doesn't pose a problem at all.
    Regards
    Carl Gustaffa - left this game due becoming Steam Exclusive

Hi, to fight with the game's tall grass there's a great mod that actualy makes it better and reduces the performance hit.

- GDT Mod Grass.

The problem with fireback when prone... it's the eye placement; you don't (in the game) rise your weapon to the shoulder and then move the head a bit down to paste your face to the weapon's stock as you would IRL; in the game... you place your eye (when aiming) too lower instead raise your weapon to aim/see above the grass.
    Make the grass transparent arround the player wouldn't fix anything as you gonna shoot at distant targets more likely, that mod is the better way of deal with the game's grass as we can't fix how you aim (where you put your weapon for aim down the sights) as that will require a total redo of all the animations related to the weapons aiming or almost 'em all. Let's C ya

Quote Originally Posted by CarlGustaffa View Post
    If you end up like sitting ducks during an ambush, then something is very wrong about that ambush plan Like, failure to see grass as an obstacle to consider, and failure not to overcome it by choosing a different location.

I don't mind high grass in Chernarus, in fact I want it, but I would like more tactical possibilities to get around it. So that when coming to a location, you can study the grass and deliberately avoid areas of high grass, and choose avenues of approach where you can actually shoot back. Overwatch positions are made a bit too difficult, since hills tend to always be covered with dense trees and tree crowns that block your view.

In Takistan (and Utes), grass doesn't pose a problem at all.
    the problem is you can't position your character just right at the edge of a root, a grassless patch of dirt, or pat the grass down slight or elevate your body slighty. so the grass is indeed a problem.

Is transparency doable in this engine? Or is it just really expensive? Because the first thing that needs to be transparent are the ghost rings on the irons sights of American guns.

This is a problem but I don't like the idea with transparent grass. Instead I'd be ok with a button making your player get rid of the grass just in front of you, like it is now when crawling. It would also be good if you could push away a few branches and textures on bushes with the same button.
    Intel core2 quad cpu 2.68 Ghz
    3,5 Gb RAM
    ATI radeon HD 5770 1Gb
    Windows XP

A miniature grasscutter object would be suitable for this. Place via action for anyone, and script makes it last for about a minute. I'm using the larger grasscutter now, but not everyone can use it (only asst gunners, making them more useful) to "prep a firing position", which also comes with a lowered hesco wall for simple protection.

Rather than making it transparent, adding shallow DoF when aiming would definitely solve this

Excellent point, Cookieeater!
    And yes, making it semi-transparent would be the most desirable solution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast