Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

High fps but "massive" drops when moving / turning around fast and zooming in / out

I'm experiencing weird fps drops when moving and turning around fast, it happens even more when zooming in and out at the same time. When just stationary and i've looked around 360 combined with zooming in and out, the fps becomes stable @ 60 fps flatline and i it will stay like this untill i move around and most likely it needs to load new data. The fps drops are quite severe, it goes from flat 60 to 25 and after a 3/4 secs it raises and crawls back up to 60.

The problem is most apparent when doing this in the center of Zargabad which is known to be "heavy". This tells me it's something to do with loading / processing enviromental data like buildings and objects like trees and bushes. I've defragged the hd several times, drivers etc are all fresh. Furthermore i've tried -exthreads 1/3/5/7 but it has no effect on this problem. Only thing i noticed so far is greatly reducing viewdistance (@500m) which makes the problem less obvious but its still noticable.

I'm out of options, maybe some could help me out?

Here are my system specs:

i7 920 @ 3.6ghz

6 GB Ram

2x 5850 crossfirex

2x HD in Raid 0 which holds my system and Arma2 / OA installment

Edited by Chill xl

I'm experiencing weird fps drops when moving and turning around fast, it happens even more when zooming in and out at the same time. When just stationary and i've looked around 360 combined with zooming in and out, the fps becomes stable @ 60 fps flatline and i it will stay like this untill i move around and most likely it needs to load new data. The fps drops are quite severe, it goes from flat 60 to 25 and after a 3/4 secs it raises and crawls back up to 60.

The problem is most apparent when doing this in the center of Zargabad which is known to be "heavy". This tells me it's something to do with loading / processing enviromental data like buildings and objects like trees and bushes. I've defragged the hd several times, drivers etc are all fresh. Furthermore i've tried -exthreads 1/3/5/7 but it has no effect on this problem. Only thing i noticed so far is greatly reducing viewdistance (@500m) which makes the problem less obvious but its still noticable.

I'm out of options, maybe some could help me out?

Here are my system specs:

i7 920 @ 3.6ghz

6 GB Ram

2x 5850 crossfirex

2x HD in Raid 0 which holds my system and Arma2 / OA installment

Crossfire is the problem, in most cases.

Crossfire is the problem, in most cases.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I'm running crossfire without any problems (other than an unrelated LOD switching issue with the ATI 10.9 drivers).

Chill xl- I've got a very similar system (i7-870 @3.5, same GPUs using 10.6 drivers/renamed .exe), and I think what you're describing may be 'normal'. I never get anywhere near 100% CPU or GPU utilization, so I would tend to assume it's just the HD finding files.

Then again, I rarely get drops of that size. It tends to be a steady 60fps (no v-sync causes tearing for me) in most areas, or a steady 30-40 in busy situations or very complex towns. Not much in the way of jumping every time I look around.

I was just on a server playing and when I got to the town it started to get jerky when zooming in and out of scope view FFS I am slowly getting pissed off now I have been a fan since OFP and I love this game but PLEASE PLEASE BIS I want to see 100% work on tweaking the engine not DLC.

I went out and got a new GPU and stuff but still runs below par.

system is

32 bit win (yeah yeah wont use all me ram but then nor does ARMA2 so why go 64 bit)

Q6700

4gb

4890 1gb

I know its not the fastest pc but I have no more moneys hahaha :P all donations welcome :).

EDIT

This is using latest BETA no mods etc.

Edited by stk2008

system is

32 bit win (yeah yeah wont use all me ram but then nor does ARMA2 so why go 64 bit)

Q6700

4gb

4890 1gb

What are your video settings at? You won't be able to max it out with that set up.

Hi thanks for the reply

1680x1050

View distance 2500

PP OFF

Shadows HIGH

Anti analogizing OFF

And every thing else on NORMAL.

The mad thing is if I turn every thing up to HIGH except PP and Anti analogizing I get the same FPS in test OA benchmark 08

If I set me resolution to 800x600 I get the same FPS in test OA benchmark 08.

Is it me CPU (Q6700 so not to shabby) and/or hard drive even though i got x2 SATA raid all be it on crappy drives but I get a through put of 150mb/s even though decent single SATA drive can do that.

I ran some tests a while ago on the benchmarks and was getting better/same as some other peep who had a better PC.

I know this game does what no other can but I would like to see more engine tweaking not DLC.

Thanks in advance

Edited by stk2008

Hi guys,

Sounds like you've got pretty decent rigs so you shouldn't be suffering such enormous slow-downs.

So have you tried any of these tweaks?

If not, let us know what mileage (if any) they offer.

Hope that helps,

C.

Hi there I am gutted because I went out and got a new GPU 4890 1gb I know its not great but should run this game better then what it does.

I have tested all the tweaks with no luck.

Like I said I can set most things higher and still benchmark very close to what I did when the settings where less even resolution I can set to 800x600 and still get the same FPS as if it was set to 1680x1050 so that's mad for a start.

I think a lot of my problems is streaming shit from HD and when I was on a MP server a soon as I went into city it lagged I zoomed into scope it lagged then zoomed out it lagged but then settled down again sort of.

I really don't want to go any further and purchase a new HD or over clock me CPU (probably will be e next thing I may aim for 3.2ghz).

I'm also gutted for you because I also have a 4890 and I can run the game at 1920*1200 without any significant slow-downs (30-40 fps).

The difference is that I've overclocked my E8400 from 3 to 3.9 GHz and I run a few mods that actually increase performance (see my above post). Not to mention all the tweaks I described in my earlier post.

You might also want to try ATi's 10.4 Catalyst drivers.

Edited by domokun