Sign in to follow this  
ffur2007slx2_5

Who has reached the boundary in AmrA2?

I just want to know whether the boundary in ArmA2 is a circle or an invisiable wall. I once unpacked the sky model and found that its a hemisphere. But I've neither reached the top of the sky nor the end of the world in gameplay. So I just want to know what will happen if you reach the boundary and what is the largest altitude? Will the game crash or some bugs appear?

If you keep flying up eventually you end up in outer space and the game turns into a demo for carrier command:p

Wow! That's really awesome if the game can be like that! Maybe BIS can consider making outspace weapons! lol

Terrain outside the main map is infinite and, as far as we know, generated procedurally. You can never "reach the boundary" because there isn't one.

And as in most games, the sky in Arma2 is projected into the background/infinity, so you can never reach that either.

And as in most games, the sky in Arma2 is projected into the background/infinity, so you can never reach that either.

I have, however, reached the lower boundary before.

The game Tribes 2 used a method of reusing the same land over and over. But most people only used a small part of that...if the entire map was utilized it'd be hundreds of miles probably, if not more.

Seems arma2 is the same way, but from what I've seen the wooded terrain stops and the landscape gets real flat. In tribes 2 you would see mountains and valleys forever, just no trees.

In T2 you can take a "shrike" (1 person jet) load up on beacons and just keep going ,placing beacons so many miles apart forever....then die, respawn then follow your trail.

It'd be cool to try that in arma2.

The game Tribes 2 used a method of reusing the same land over and over. But most people only used a small part of that...if the entire map was utilized it'd be hundreds of miles probably, if not more.

Seems arma2 is the same way, but from what I've seen the wooded terrain stops and the landscape gets real flat. In tribes 2 you would see mountains and valleys forever, just no trees.

In T2 you can take a "shrike" (1 person jet) load up on beacons and just keep going ,placing beacons so many miles apart forever....then die, respawn then follow your trail.

It'd be cool to try that in arma2.

I'll be sure to load up that bacon :D

Skybox follows player, so you'll never reach the end of it.

Once you get out of terrain, the game begins to do things procedurally (x,y and via complex equations, it returns new terrain height) which will extend to "infinity". To be as anal as possible, you'll eventually reach a limit where the computer can't deal with the massive numbers anymore as nothing is infinite in computers.

In OFP, you will reach a point where normal movement becomes impossible due to floating point rounding errors of your coordinates.

Spent about 20 mins flying into the sky and found nothing just got grey, though it is cool to look down at the clouds

In OFP, you will reach a point where normal movement becomes impossible due to floating point rounding errors of your coordinates.

Yeah that was fun. even in the [0,0,0] point there were some anomalies.

Iv'e been in MP games where the mission suddenly bugged, and we were al floating in empty space. Fun times!

Thank you for your answers!

By the way, I found that AI won't move if you put them outside the main terrian. (In waypoint mode)

AI do move if you put them outside the normal terrain but they can't cross the invisible barrier between map and no map, nor can they recognize waypoints on the "wrong" side of the barrier. I was having trouble with this a while back and had to use a horrid workaround.

I did a test.

Flew a plane out into the wilderness and see how far I could go.

The bird that took me there

SalutePlane.jpg

Should be around Moscow :p

Moscow.jpg

Long way back to Chernarus

LongHikeBack.jpg

Do stupid thing when you are bored.

CONTEST IDEA: Set a spot on the map, then fly away from it, turn back, get the distance and take a screenshot. Whoever has the farthest distance wins the respect of the community. ;)

Include time.

Would make a nice conversation piece with those who play those other games.

CONTEST IDEA: Set a spot on the map, then fly away from it, turn back, get the distance and take a screenshot. Whoever has the farthest distance wins the respect of the community. ;)

player setPos [10^6, 0,0] - instant win ;)