Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Mil Mi-24A Krokodil

Looking very nice, don't worry so much on the UV stretching at this point otherwise you'd likely have to go back and repaint.

How many pixels are your rivets?

Master Gunnery Sergeant Pathetic_Berserker's Avatar
    Author of the Thread
    2 basic sizes, 4pix and 6pix diameter on a 4096^ image. I have also taken the strange move of making them at 4096 then shrinking them and enlarging them back to original. As the slight pixelation meant they sat better next to EricMs original work.

My method was to basicaly paint guidelines on the model by hand then use that as a tempate to placing the rivets by hand. Where the stretching was at its worst I also painted oval rivets by hand. Nomals were produced with B&W images passed through Gimps normal plugin.

I think after I've stepped back from it for a bit it will be a matter of sitting down and tweaking. It had occured to me that I should probably repaint the whole model if I want it absolutely perfect, but that idea realy dosn't excite me.

Like I said before this is the first project at this level of detail I've taken on so I should probably not expect to get everything perfect. Not to say I will not be striving, but to expect improvements over projects, after learning from mistakes, not shit hot on the first pass.

What method are you using for the rivets? I ask mainly because (if you are okay with criticism and suggestion) they look a tad bit large when compared to the photo's, if you do want to make them smaller then you may want to try starting with a 1 pixel dot and running the nvidia normal map filter to enlarge it, mind you this goes into 3x3 pixels.

It is also good that you aren't working you don't try working for 'perfection' on your first, that will become very stressful very quick and you don't want to burn out just yet, afterall the first is meant to be enjoyed and for your first time you are doing great.
    Last edited by NodUnit; Jun 15 2011 at 01:25.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by NodUnit View Post
    What method are you using for the rivets? .
    Painting a layer of black dots and passing it through Gimps normal filter.

And yes you are correct about the size of the rivets. This has come about because this is a derivative work based on Ericm's Hiind-D and I've chosen to modify his textures instead of starting from scratch. So I've adopted his original rivet size. I assume his rivet size was in part influenced by smaller texture sizes for A1 and in part artistic licence.

I think with my next project i will experiment with modeling more detail for normals, blender seems to handle non closed and floating geometry quite well so it may be Ok to float modeled rivets over the surface. The method is working Ok so far for the instument panels, and should eliminate UV stretching issues

Author of the Thread
    RL has held me back a bit the last few weeks, but still chip'n away.

Getting it in game was more of a little motivational exersise and as anyone who has made an addon may see, there is still a lot of work to be done before its game ready, so thses pics are really just to tease.

That is awesome.... Great work so far man!!

That last picture looks amazing! Great work!

Abs
    My Projects:

RHS Contributor | Former ONS Member | Former W'39 Member
    I will not be taking part in the contest, but I support it 100%! Great idea, BIS!

Supreme Emperor of Nigeria RKSL-Rock's Avatar
    That does looks bloody good!

Addons makers don’t get cash they get credit! Support them!
    RKSL Studios Website is BACK!! http://www.rkslstudios.info

Placentashire, Placentassex, Placentaland, Placenta Kingdom of Great Placenta and Northern Placenta
    The normal mapping looks good; love the way the light reflects off of it.
    ("The itsy bitsy spoider clicked down the spoider spout.")
    Spoiler:
    ("Down came the spoider and washed the spoider out.")
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Looking for a voice actor for your mission or campaign? Just send a quick PM!)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My specs:
    Spoiler:

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast