Sign in to follow this  
pathetic_berserker

Mil Mi-24A Krokodil

Thanks to the generous kickstart from EricM and Rock I finaly gathered the courage to stop trawling for references and start working on the first incarnation of what we know as the Hind.

Already there has bee a great deal of swearing and spitting as I try to deal with nothing but photos and badly drawn schematics, but finaly think I have something to show.

Almost finished roughing in the cockpit, just the ATM optical and cabling around the glass house canopy to do

krokadil.th.jpg

After that its a few (easier) tweaks to the fuselage, and then textures. I was suprised to find the 'A' variant had actualy seen fair bit of combat action with a number of operators so I'm yet to decide on whether to go for full retextures or a roundel system.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Haha, Red Dawn comes immediately to my mind seeing this.

At the same time I'm very happy to see someone finally took it up, this will make a great addition to the game!

btw; what's the official number on A-operators? I could list no more than few if someone asked me.. Etiopia/Kambodia... hmm..

ROFL. Back in OFP days I once kitbashed the wings of some Hind addon with a Puma addon to get the "Rambo" helicopter :D

More pictures:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Museums/VietnameseAirForce/Helicopters/Mi24.jpg

http://www.red-stars.org/IMG/jpg/Mi-24_Hind-A.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Mil_Mi-24A_Hind.jpg

These thing were actually deployed quite often by the Vietnamese.

btw; what's the official number on A-operators? I could list no more than few if someone asked me.. Etiopia/Kambodia... hmm..

Damn good question, I havn't even been able to find an official date for the Hind-D, its successor, entering service only a vague reference circa 1980. To say that the Hind-A was in production for almost 10 years (1970-1980) seems a bit of a stretch, but then again the Hind was a little known beast before the Afgan conflict started in 1979. Hopfully there may someone out there who can shed a bit more light.

However I read and/or have pictorial evidence that it served with North Vietnam vs Cambodia, with Ethiopia vs Somalia, and with Libya vs Chad, I havn't found anything conclusive but I expect that it also served in the early days of the Afgan conflict and quite possibly in the Rhodesian Bush Wars conflict as Cuban aid for Angola.

First test Mi24A lifted off in september '69.

First serial Mi24A in service by 71~72.

Work on the 24D variant with new cabin began in '71.

First five serial helicopters made in Arsen'jevo in 1973.

Full production by 1974.

Mi24V testing finished by november 1975.

Source: Bojevoj Vertoljet Mi-24, S. Moroz and I. Prihodchenko, Exprint publishing, Moscow, 2005

Nice to see this being made :P Apparantly they quickly moved on from this cockpit set up because of the poor field of view for the pilots and copg's and because the flat glass created lots of reflections making it awkward to fly.. There were a few other reasons (Something with the gun) but I cannay remember them off the top of my head :P Any chance of doing an a with the flat wings and the falanga's on the hull? Great stuff man hope to see more soon.

I've heard Molatia is using Hind-A :) *wink,wink*

Thats right! I knew there was more.

@Soul Assasin, thanks for the info. Russia obviously handed down a few A's to its friends when the D's entered service.

this looks like it'll be a great model, but boy does that hind look stupid in comparison to the D variant

Stupid like a FOX!

I'm excited to see how this one turns out!

Thanks to the generous kickstart from EricM and Rock I finaly gathered the courage to stop trawling for references and start working on the first incarnation of what we know as the Hind.

Already there has bee a great deal of swearing and spitting as I try to deal with nothing but photos and badly drawn schematics, but finaly think I have something to show.

Almost finished roughing in the cockpit, just the ATM optical and cabling around the glass house canopy to do

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9211/krokadil.th.jpg

After that its a few (easier) tweaks to the fuselage, and then textures. I was suprised to find the 'A' variant had actualy seen fair bit of combat action with a number of operators so I'm yet to decide on whether to go for full retextures or a roundel system.

I was going to offer you my Mi-24 Research archive but it looks like you aready had some good refs! That looks really good.

Eric had my archive so i dont know if he gave it you, but if you need it PM me and ill dig is out for you.

I've been waiting for a Mi-24A for so long.

Looking good, can't wait.

Looks great man but I think the hind A's tended not to have filters or if they did they were normaly thebucket ones ... Not saying you need to change it as I'm not certain and I dont know about export kits. Stunning model dude \m/

Looks great man but I think the hind A's tended not to have filters or if they did they were normaly thebucket ones ... Not saying you need to change it as I'm not certain and I dont know about export kits. Stunning model dude \m/

All Hind A got no "eyes covers" /mean those filters or what is it :D/

The first Hind got those covers was D version

Edited by RobertHammer

Pathetic_Berserker, sorry for interruption, bust I must warn you - I hope you're not making symetrical Mi-24A, because they aren't. All these drawing, like this (of new Mi-24V and others) are wrong. Because the exact drawings are hard to find, i'm adding the picture of Mi-24V from DCS: Black Shark, where is quite detailed, or you can check one of hinds from ArmA 2 in the front. BIS was attentive for details on Mi-24, too.

The exact drawings especially for Mi-24A are hard to find too, so that's why I'm using the picture - this is front picture of Mi-24A. The angle of photo isn't perfect, but for my explanation is good. I drew the lines of fuselage for easy imagination. The whole fuselage, with rotor and tail except of cockpit is tilted into right (starboard of aircraft). It's tilted for aerodynamic reasons to counteract the effect of the tail rotor. The cockpit of all A and "bubbled-cockpit" hinds is actually the only one thing which is correctly parallel to the ground.

I only want the good for you, and above of all, I still can't wait for Mi-24A version in ArmA2. Nothing can be perfect. :) Just when I saw the WiP pictures, I just couldn't helped myself for not warning you about that and I hope I didn't insulted you.

Edited by SmukY

Why have the russians constructed a helicopter unsymmetrical???

Absolutely incredible, i heard that for the first time and never noticed this attention to detail even at the BIS helo.....

They wanted to make a very fast and stabile combat helicopter. From the wikipedia:

Considerable attention was given to making the Mi-24 fast. The airframe was streamlined, and fitted with retractable tricycle undercarriage landing gear to reduce drag. The wings provide considerable lift at high speed, up to a quarter of total lift. The main rotor was tilted 2.5° to the right from the fuselage to counteract dissymmetry of lift at high speed and provide a more stable firing platform. The landing gear was also tilted to the left so the rotor would still be level when the aircraft was on the ground, making the rest of the airframe tilt to the left. The tail was also asymmetrical to give a side force at speed, thus unloading the tail rotor.[5]

Where they start with "The main rotor was tilted", should be "fuselage" instead of main rotor or "fuselage with main rotor"

SmukY thanks for mentioning that, I totally forgot about it. No wonder you're the main "rotorhead" of our team ;)