Sign in to follow this  
pathetic_berserker

Mil Mi-24A Krokodil

Just now I have some info only about NUV-1 gun system that was used with Mi-4 chopper. It had MG tranversed 0 to -55 degs verticaly and about +-30 deg horizontaly. I'll search more in the books about NUV-1 that was used with Mi-24 a bit later.

Will check what it says in my book.... But scratching my brain... did they not carry an extra Mechanic/engineer with them?

sometime, on long run. and extra-fuel-tank inside.

intiall Mi24 was made for Air Assault units, not as combat chopper [in Western meaning].

thats why Army picks Mi24 over [far superior in all aspects]Ka29FN2 and derrivatives - cruise speed, which is KEY for such units, deploying[in air assault mode, w/o ropes, on low-level fly]and fire supporting which, is Mi24 should.

Just now I have some info only about NUV-1 gun system that was used with Mi-4 chopper. It had MG tranversed 0 to -55 degs verticaly and about +-30 deg horizontaly. I'll search more in the books about NUV-1 that was used with Mi-24 a bit later.

Thanks Spooky Lynx, did some digging and the pics I can find of the Mi-4 do show a similar horizontal pivot and some sort of handle bar arangement to the weapon mount , but still cant find the bits inbetween. Also found some refence to the Mi-8T using the mount, but the only pics so far show a PK? mount, not the 12mm.

Should also correct my previous statement, the Mi-24a also has a +-30 deg horizontal.

I've decided that the best course of action is to get it in game and figure it out via trial and error. And work on the rest of the LODs and textures in parallel.

Kind of lagging in my attempt to make fortnightly updates so here are a few images of my texture progress. Probably needs a little more dirt and some rivets before it starts to realy blend in with EricM's work but I am happy with the progress so far. And the vent above the starboard wing is now modeled for LOD1 and not just a texture

hindatext1.jpg

hindatext2.jpg

Great work :thumbs-up:

btw your Hind A have fixed gear??

xxx-mil-mi-24-hind-2.jpg?w=576&h=256

I thought the Hind A have retractable gear

Edited by RobertHammer

Yeah the gear is retractable, just the way EricM originaly modeled it. Think it is suposed to make configing memory points and animations a bit easier. For example if you get the doors opening out wrong by a degree you probably wont notice, but get them wrong closing and it sticks out like dogs balls. So all the bits are there I was just too lazy to doll her up for the pics.

impressive work!

Thanks again Gedis, never thought I'd see a manual. I can't actualy read Russian but I can still follow the pics and make out some of it. Simply awsome, and from 1976 and relevant to the A model, still cant believe my eyes.

Thanks again!

sadly it's only piloting/controling hind in flight manual, but yeah service/operational manual would be increadible for Mi-24A :)

Thanks again Gedis, never thought I'd see a manual. I can't actualy read Russian but I can still follow the pics and make out some of it. Simply awsome, and from 1976 and relevant to the A model, still cant believe my eyes.

Thanks again!

Hello, I can help you with Russian (since it's my native language). Just send me a PM and I'll translate whatever you need.

Also, the helicopter's nickname is Krokodil, not Krokadil (Крокодил). Not sure it was your type, I've just seen the news at Armaholic.

Also, the helicopter's nickname is Krokodil, not Krokadil (Крокодил). Not sure it was your type, I've just seen the news at Armaholic.

Thanks for that nuttex. It was a typo on my part. Be sure it will be fixed for release.

Thanks for that nuttex. It was a typo on my part. Be sure it will be fixed for release.

No problem, mate! Always glad to help.

Well I supose my fortnight is up.

Almost done (95%) with the external textures. But finding some of my poorer modeling and UV decisions made early on are being high-lighted by normal maps.

externalnorms.jpg

Oddly it looks reasonably fixable, and I have come a long a way with it, but I'm walking away from that particular nut for now to concentrate on other stuff.

And giving the cargo section some much deserved lurve.

cargolurve.jpg

Looking very nice!

I think if you can't eliminate that stretching, you might be able to displace it down to the bottom or something.

Gonner have some door PKs? Red Dawn style.

I think they can also mount AGS30s in the doors.

Gonner have some door PKs? Red Dawn style.

Would be cool, I think they can mount pretty much anything in them, they appear to work a bit like an adjustable weapon rest.

I also have visions of going a bit Afgan and ripping out the seats, to have two side gunners sitting on a bunch of ammo crates. Also allowing the chopper to refuel and rearm without going back to base.

But saddly no. Too much extra work at this stage.

Looking very nice, don't worry so much on the UV stretching at this point otherwise you'd likely have to go back and repaint.

How many pixels are your rivets?

2 basic sizes, 4pix and 6pix diameter on a 4096^ image. I have also taken the strange move of making them at 4096 then shrinking them and enlarging them back to original. As the slight pixelation meant they sat better next to EricMs original work.

My method was to basicaly paint guidelines on the model by hand then use that as a tempate to placing the rivets by hand. Where the stretching was at its worst I also painted oval rivets by hand. Nomals were produced with B&W images passed through Gimps normal plugin.

I think after I've stepped back from it for a bit it will be a matter of sitting down and tweaking. It had occured to me that I should probably repaint the whole model if I want it absolutely perfect, but that idea realy dosn't excite me.

Like I said before this is the first project at this level of detail I've taken on so I should probably not expect to get everything perfect. Not to say I will not be striving, but to expect improvements over projects, after learning from mistakes, not shit hot on the first pass.

What method are you using for the rivets? I ask mainly because (if you are okay with criticism and suggestion) they look a tad bit large when compared to the photo's, if you do want to make them smaller then you may want to try starting with a 1 pixel dot and running the nvidia normal map filter to enlarge it, mind you this goes into 3x3 pixels.

It is also good that you aren't working you don't try working for 'perfection' on your first, that will become very stressful very quick and you don't want to burn out just yet, afterall the first is meant to be enjoyed :) and for your first time you are doing great.

Edited by NodUnit

What method are you using for the rivets? .

Painting a layer of black dots and passing it through Gimps normal filter.

And yes you are correct about the size of the rivets. This has come about because this is a derivative work based on Ericm's Hiind-D and I've chosen to modify his textures instead of starting from scratch. So I've adopted his original rivet size. I assume his rivet size was in part influenced by smaller texture sizes for A1 and in part artistic licence.

I think with my next project i will experiment with modeling more detail for normals, blender seems to handle non closed and floating geometry quite well so it may be Ok to float modeled rivets over the surface. The method is working Ok so far for the instument panels, and should eliminate UV stretching issues

RL has held me back a bit the last few weeks, but still chip'n away.

Getting it in game was more of a little motivational exersise and as anyone who has made an addon may see, there is still a lot of work to be done before its game ready, so thses pics are really just to tease.

firstingame.jpg

interioringamewip.jpg

pafshindafirstflight.jpg