Sign in to follow this  
nicklomas

Arma II and OA AI is POO

The thing that stops this game from being great is the poor AI. I created ambush missions in the editor and had a about 20 takistani militia (BLUFOR) ambush a BTR 60 and two trucks full of Takistani Army. The BTR gets knocked out by a mine so causes no problems but the militia still have problems completing the ambush because at any one time only a few are firing.

The issue i'm trying to make is that during a fire fight i constantly see soldiers standing, aiming there weapon and then doing nothing in addition to watching fights and seeing the enemy run straight past them, then spin on the floor then do nothing! ruins what could be a very good game.

One other big issue is (and for some reason i never had this problem with OFP) is when helicopters come to land and come under fire they ignoer the waypoint, fly off and stay hovering just a few hundred meters away.

I mean come on, was the person in charge of AI off sick alot?

Anyone else get these problems or is it just me

And here's a banana:yay:

Both of those are flaws in the mission design. Generally when the AI stops and takes a while to aim it's because their skill is set low, thus they take longer to adjust what they're aiming at. Basically, up the AI's skill. You can also try using the reveal command to make them all know of each other, preventing units from just walking past each other, though I rarely see that without it.

The helicopter issue is easily fixed with setting it's behavior mode to careless and setting it's combat mode to never fire. If you don't want it shot at you can always try this setCaptive true.

As I've said many times, I've been working with the AI in these games for years now when mission editing and I still find them very formidable opponents, even more so when combined with AI mods. Sure, they're not perfect, there are hiccups with them once in a while and there are odd behavior traits that won't go away, but it does so many other things right that I think the good outweighs the bad. ;)

We have plenty of AI threads, another one just for your issue is not needed.

Please search before posting!