ASR AI Skills v1.1

This addon can be install on clients, servers or both. It will configure only the AI local to the machine where it is installed.

So it runs ok if you only install it on the server?

So it runs ok if you only install it on the server?

Sure, it will control the server AI (for ex. the enemy in a coop mission).

Downloading the update right now. Anyway I have another question. Do you think it could be possible to set the vehicle crew class (/pilot class) with a very low courage value, to make them retreat when the tank is destroyed, instead of continuing the assault? (that is the most logical/realistic behaviour for a crewman). Hoping they don't start to flee with the tank at the start of the mission lol.

Downloading the update right now. Anyway I have another question. Do you think it could be possible to set the vehicle crew class (/pilot class) with a very low courage value, to make them retreat when the tank is destroyed, instead of continuing the assault? (that is the most logical/realistic behaviour for a crewman). Hoping they don't start to flee with the tank at the start of the mission lol.

It's possible I think, to make the crewmen/pilots grow/shrink balls (setskill courage) with some getin/getout eventhandlers :)

Maybe in future updates.

I understand that GL4 has a similar approach. Does your mod override the AISkills of GL4?

Can't answer that right now, it depends on the GL4 initialization timings. To make sure this takes over, you should disable the AI skill settings in GL4_Global.sqf:

// ==============================================================
   // GL4 Enemy A.I. Difficult Level:
   // ==============================================================
   // True / False, default is True
      GL4_Global set [45, False];

Updated to version 1.2 in first post.

Changes:

- Tank, heli and plane crews lose some courage when getting out of their damaged vehicle and gain some when they get back in a good one.

- The addon should no longer auto-add itself to the mission.sqm required addons list.

Changes:

- Tank, heli and plane crews lose some courage when getting out of their damaged vehicle and gain some when they get back in a good one.

- The addon should no longer auto-add itself to the mission.sqm required addons list.

Great stuff, thanks very much!

For realism, you might have a small random chance for any given unit to have a very high accuracy (especially if they are civilian/non-military combatant and carry a bolt action, sniper rifle or shotgun), to represent extra-curricular markmanship or hunting as a hobby.

For realism, you might have a small random chance for any given unit to have a very high accuracy (especially if they are civilian/non-military combatant and carry a bolt action, sniper rifle or shotgun), to represent extra-curricular markmanship or hunting as a hobby.

Sounds good to me, perhaps I'll add this in future updates. Say, 1:50 chance a unit of any kind has some extra marksmanship ability. Thanks.

Changes:

Great, man! thanks for making that... :yay:

Confused:

what do we do with the contenets in the asr_aiskill folder? Do we put those in with the pbo addons folder or seperate?

Will this work with SLX?

Edited by stevedrumsdw

Confused:

what do we do with the contenets in the asr_aiskill folder? Do we put those in with the pbo addons folder or seperate?

Will this work with SLX?

Steve,

Nothing out of ordinary about it and the installation is explained in the first post.

Simple process: put the @asr and the userconfig folders in your main Arma2 or Arrowhead directory, launch with -mod=@asr

Yes, it works with any other mod, including SLX.

Rob, how effective would it be to add another class for the snipers? I see that there are already top notch (1), just curious if it's possible to get better long range engagments for the snipers alone.

Seems like the SF guys will engage at equal distances to the snipers. Would be cool if we could extend the snipers a wee bit beyond the SF guys. Perhaps via better spotting values as a seperate class?

Steve,

Nothing out of ordinary about it and the installation is explained in the first post.

Simple process: put the @asr and the userconfig folders in your main Arma2 or Arrowhead directory, launch with -mod=@asr

Yes, it works with any other mod, including SLX.

Hey thanks for your time, your making some great addons, keep up the good work!

Rob, how effective would it be to add another class for the snipers? I see that there are already top notch (1), just curious if it's possible to get better long range engagments for the snipers alone.

Seems like the SF guys will engage at equal distances to the snipers. Would be cool if we could extend the snipers a wee bit beyond the SF guys. Perhaps via better spotting values as a seperate class?

Spotting range is already top as you noted. For further refinements, I might extend this with some config modules, for the AI weapon engagement range, rate of fire etc.

I think spotting range should have the same values for all "elite" class soldiers. We should not confuse the eye-spotting ability and the extra spotting ability offered by high tech optics.

I think spotting range should have the same values for all "elite" class soldiers. We should not confuse the eye-spotting ability and the extra spotting ability offered by high tech optics.
well yeah in a perfect world, but thats not how the game is done, if you want to "simulate" a better combat/engagements with snipers.

Fully agree, spotting and engagement ranges have their own separate settings, so far I did not include any weapon stuff but I will probably add such configs soon.

What I'm not 100% sure is if the AI has better spotting with a 10x scope compared to when it has a non-scoped weapon. I would expect the magnification to be a factor, my feeling is that it does, seeing how the AI finds enemies after using binocs but I did not make any tests to verify this.

Edited by Robalo_AS

I've really enjoyed using this. Machineguns and snipers now engage me even out to 1000 meters, providing realistic (inaccurate) firefights appropriate to Afghanistan's hills.

I like the feeling of chimps flinging doodoo at each other that it provides.

I installed this addon along with the rearming script but it doesn't seem to work. Does this work by the skill you assign in the editor? I've tried making peasants have max skill while Spetznaz the lowest and the Spetznaz still whup the peasants ass. I have also tried having Spetznaz against a US rifle team squad and they get they're asses beat even though I set all of the US teams skill to the lowest.

Also snipers never engage far away. Most of the time, they only engage when the enemy is 100m away from them.

The only addons I have installed are CBA, and the JRSR soundpack.

Edited by Cookieeater

Cookieeater, the skills are customized in the userconfig file, please post yours.

For your atypical scenario, it may be easier to disable this (ASR_AISKILL_DISABLED = 1) and just use the editor.

Also, it may be a matter of equipment, what weapons were the Specnaz using when they lost against the US ?

Again, this addon does not (yet) control engagement ranges.

Cookieeater, the skills are customized in the userconfig file, please post yours.

For your atypical scenario, it may be easier to disable this (ASR_AISKILL_DISABLED = 1) and just use the editor.

Also, it may be a matter of equipment, what weapons were the Specnaz using when they lost against the US ?

Again, this addon does not (yet) control engagement ranges.

Here is my userconfig file:

// AI skill settings

// used by asr_aiskill.pbo

// If you uncomment the line below it will not run

//ASR_AISKILL_DISABLED = 1;

// Runs only if ASR_AISKILL_DISABLED is undefined

//

// By default only skill levels 1 - 7 are used

// They match the "asr_aiskill" value from CfgVehicles, for example:

// class USMC_SoldierS_Sniper : USMC_Soldier_Base {

// asr_aiskill = 1;

// };

//

// lower number for asr_aiskill means better skills

// numbers 8 and 9 are special skillsets for pilots, not so great infantry combat skills but good spotting

// Defaults listed below, to change, uncomment and modify:

/*

ASR_AISKILL_SETS = [

["aimingAccuracy",[0.65,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.65,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.75,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.75,0.25],"spotTime",[0.65,0.25],"courage",[0.65,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 0

["aimingAccuracy",[0.60,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.60,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.25],"spotTime",[0.60,0.25],"courage",[0.60,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 1

["aimingAccuracy",[0.55,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.55,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.65,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.65,0.25],"spotTime",[0.55,0.25],"courage",[0.55,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 2

["aimingAccuracy",[0.50,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.50,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.60,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.60,0.25],"spotTime",[0.50,0.25],"courage",[0.50,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 3

["aimingAccuracy",[0.45,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.45,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.55,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.55,0.25],"spotTime",[0.45,0.25],"courage",[0.45,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 4

["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.50,0.25],"spotTime",[0.40,0.25],"courage",[0.40,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 5

["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.35,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.45,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.45,0.25],"spotTime",[0.35,0.25],"courage",[0.35,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 6

["aimingAccuracy",[0.30,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.30,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.40,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.40,0.25],"spotTime",[0.30,0.25],"courage",[0.30,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 7

["aimingAccuracy",[0.40,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.40,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.50,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.25],"spotTime",[0.60,0.25],"courage",[0.40,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 8 (pilot 1, better)

["aimingAccuracy",[0.35,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.35,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.45,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.65,0.25],"spotTime",[0.55,0.25],"courage",[0.35,0.25]] //asr_aiskill 9 (pilot 2)

];

*/

They were using their typical weapons. I don't really remember you can find it yourself in the editor. I thought this controlled engagement ranges because I saw people saying how this increased engagement ranges. So what does this exactly do? I tried editing the skill of individual soldiers and they appeared to shoot the same and spot distances the same. The only setting that mattered was the difficulty setting which made people overally less accurate when lowered.

Your userconfig is all commented, which means default values are used.

Please read first post, this mod automatically assigns skills based on unit type. It actually ensures the SF will always be better than the armed peasants, contrary to what you're trying to accomplish. Unless you edit your userconfig, of course, but keep in mind that applies to all missions. That's why I suggested you disable this for the atypical mission.

Bizon SMG (9mm pistol ammo) against SCARs ? Guess who's gonna win that in open terrain.

Edited by Robalo_AS