Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

New project: Fallujah

Hi friends,

some screenshots from Fallujah city, the new training ground for my Clan.

The project is mainly a very big city with some features around. Project is based on real sat map of the city. Some areas aren't still populated with house and maybe will be in the future (the city is big enough to allow players to loose themself).

fallujah1.jpg

fallujah2.jpg

fallujah3.jpg

fallujah4.jpg

fallujah5.jpg

Next steps are the creation of an airport in the lower right part of the map and add some details to the city itself (garbages, small objects... usual things).

wow i have been waiting years for a actually Fallugah map! i hope this gets finished ad please, please try to keep this as acurite as possible...please! and if possible(meaning if some areas can use it) please add some of the OA buildings(ones that resemble iraqi buildings(like form the zargabad map) and also iraq in many, many pleases(mostly the outskirts\farmlands) use the same exact type of buildings that most of the OA buildings are(them sad & lonely looking mud huts lol)!

Great work Sheezan! Keep it on! But i am wondering too how Performance will be... That's the only reason why i did not started so big cities so far :)

Can you give some System specs and ingame performance info? Would be very nice :)

I will probably release a beta in some days.

Performances are good, due the quality of the houses.

Framerate is 30-40 for me in city, with a Q9300, 4Gb ram and a Radeon 4870 with 512 Mb. Not so much as hardware. Frame rate will decrease greatly near the map borders, where i've placed a lot of nice Berghoff trees in a forest area.

About using OA houses: i've made some tries, but the very high quality of those houses doesn't allow you to place 2.000 items in the same map (as far as i have tried actually). For this reason i moved to the old-and-working objects from previous ArmA. For the same reason and due lack of roads for OA this map is still for ArmA2 base version.

awesome! i suggest you add more fences , but otherwise looking great.

try to use opx objects or oa objects, for variation

Holy smokes! looking great i do love dense urban maps, nice work pall.

Has this terrain anything to do with World Tools?

Something yes:

Powerlines has been made with wt

Big fences has been made with world tools and placed on map with the visitor from a large "library" i've created, big fences was drawed and placed by wt.

Forests outside the city with forest generator

Finally after placing trees along the road with avenue script i've exported the trees and reworked with world tools remap function to make them more sparse and more variated (avenue script allow you to place objects of the same type, with wt i've scrambled the trees in 5 different types)

The railway to the north will be placed with world tools fence function (this is the main reason for creating it :)

About adding opx buildings: i'll manage to find them and i will evaluate this way. I'm trying to keep the island small in file size. About oa objects they could be used in some small villages but this will change requisites to combined operations instead of a2 only.

Something yes:

But no building placement?

About adding opx buildings: i'll manage to find them and i will evaluate this way. I'm trying to keep the island small in file size.

Size? You are NOT to add the terrain object addons INTO your terrain pbo, never ever do this, its wrong.

You just use the objects from their own pbo as you have now used BIS objects, simple as that.

But no building placement?

I've made some building placement but some things are better on V3 (precision placement and rotation is nice in V3).

Maybe in a future i will make another dedicated feature in WT to place some predefined objects on the map with the required orientation, but it's not so simple to achieve (and make simple for the user).

Size? You are NOT to add the terrain object addons INTO your terrain pbo, never ever do this, its wrong.

You just use the objects from their own pbo as you have now used BIS objects, simple as that.

this is what i did... but users must have also the buildings pbo to play, so it's a required package that i will provide to them -> download.

A nice thing could be having a base set of addons, shared by many map developers that could be placed in a common addons folder. In this way we could share this "base package" between many islands and reduce the size of our core work... but until this day i will release all pbo in the package (unless making another island eg. Duala, as required addon... but it's not a nice thing to make those dependancies).

I have the same problem... its even possible my latest island will require Duala ;)

excelent!!! , i love your map spritz. please, dont use OA OBJECTS... OA= LAG

The map is ArmA2 version. Works with Combined Operations, but not with OA only, unless having something like a CAA1 project made for ArmA2.

I'm still making some small features on Spritz, maybe there will be a new release after Fallujah.

Best

Minimalaco & shezan74: objects don't lag that much, OA maps have other issues (like smaller grid, unoptimized clutter etc.). I use many OA objects and map runs just fine ;)

i've thought about using OA objects (not houses) from OA to make the game OA compatible, but the lack of roads prevented me to do this.

Maybe one day i will create a OA version of the map, but first release will be for ArmA2 vanilla edition.

Fallujah has something like 5.000 houses and framerate is really nice also with old PC's. Yesterday we've made a clan test over the island in a MP mission with 14 players and all goes fine. I don't know what could happens with 5.000 OA houses (that are REALLY AMAZING and beautiful, by the way). Maybe i will try with a massive replacement :)

May I suggest that sometimes, you make a block of houses (a square within the walls of four roads) not-enterable, so you can use more closed buildings inside that space? Meaning that you add 'filler' low-poly houses, while still maintaining the look of a busy skyline. :)

Oh, and one should not forget the more western-styled buildings. These provide a nice contrast.

In Zargabad, there was a dreadful lack of official buildings. Parliament, Congress, embassies and so forth - I trust you will delight in adding at least one of these. Would definitely create a nice air to the city. 3-4 parks and 1-2 monuments, perhaps? Dictators in those parts do love their gardens and statues...

If you want your airstrip to be a nice place for clans to operate from (should your map be popular, which I hope it will!), you may want to add 2-300 meters of pure road to it. If you've seen how coalition forces applied Force Protection in Iraq, and how it is usually done, these long entrances to bases normally require space and overview.

If you in addition add ditches (or, elevate the roads by maybe 30-50cm), for better placement of IEDs as well as natural ridge-type covers, nobody can say you didn't aim to excel! :D

Hope to see the project come to a happy conclusion. :)

Man this is just awesome. you're the man shezan74.

Can't wait until this will be released. furthermore my compliments to your outstanding world tool even I'm not into map making.

saluti da milano

Hey shezan74!

I was wondering if you could make the river expand into an ocean just passed the Dams. It would create an easier access for LHD operations. In my recent operations on your map, I have used the FOB and moved my way through the Eastern side of the city to capture the airfield. We now use the airfield as a military base. A carrier would really come in handy!

there is no ocean near fallujah

And there is a lot of space for more FOB's if needed :)

there is no ocean near fallujah

I knew that but I figured you might as well... But if not, and you want to keep it as real as possible.. can you extend the river out and make it a tiny bit wider? The smallest amount would help. Oh and I've turned your Airport into an extremely detailed USMC base. Just letting you know lol

The map size is fixed, so no further extensions are possible, sorry :(.

Send me some screens about your USMC base, i'm curious... :)