Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Comprehensive and In-Depth guide to commanding your AI squad

the only way to watch the videos currently is the video stream on megavideo at the links i provided...

They do have appropriate tags to them:

arma2 operation arrowhead oa commanding ai squad combat mode

those are the tags in my combat mode video for example

I may do a video on fixed wing flight training... Specifically how to land aircraft ranging from AV8B, A10, C-130, etc... On an airfield precisely using the BIS ingame ILS system.

It is actually a very well made system and once you get the hang of it... You can land anything on any ILS approach in the game at any time. It was very challenging landing at night with no NVG enabled... And very fun.

Edited by Baz

Baz.. good stuff mate, I've relearnt things I'd forgotten, and picked up tips on things I'd never heard of before. :)

On the minus side though, I'm guessing you aren't in the military?

Some of your descriptions and info on unit formations and why they are used were pretty bad it has to be said.

I know you stated you were doing it on the fly, but even ten minutes research on google would have given you info and even links to official army manuals that would have given you the words you were desperately searching for during your commentary.. lol!

I'm not trying to derail your monumental efforts because you have done a cracking and worthy job here, but I was wincing at times during your commentary on the tactical side, and alot of newbies will be taking what you have said as gospel..

Good work though.. I appreciated the video approach!

In regards to formations it was meant as its usage in commanding AI in the game and how they react... Not actual real life usage of formations, tho I do have to admit I do not really have too much knowledge of other than needing to have a line of fire in a certain direction and to spread or compact the formation.

But I was a cadet in NJROTC and did have some experience with marching but that has nothing to do with squad based tactical movement. And is more of a "show" than anything else.

that would be nice indeed to have this as a sticky

Yes. seconded on sticky.

Anyway to download it direct rather than streaming it then download via cache?

Anyone that downloaded the video mind to share or host?

Is there a way to tell the AI it shouldn't do the annoying "go, i'm covering" ? i want to break contact quickly but AI makes it impossible with this behaviour.

Is there a way to tell the AI it shouldn't do the annoying "go, i'm covering" ? i want to break contact quickly but AI makes it impossible with this behaviour.

Take them out of Combat Mode. Set them back to Aware Mode.

They do their Bounding Overwatch routine while in Combat Mode.

However, a recent behavioral change might freeze them in combat mode if they're in battle and so there is no way to get them out of it until the enemy is cleared out.

Edited by Spamurai

However, a recent behavioral change might freeze them in combat mode

-.- yeah that's pretty much what i encountered multiple times by now. The AI soldiers will not execute any orders, just stand/lie/crouch from one position to another one and then waiting until the sun falls out of the sky. That is so annoying.

Yes. seconded on sticky.

Anyway to download it direct rather than streaming it then download via cache?

Anyone that downloaded the video mind to share or host?

use this soft to download video : "Megavideo video downloader 3.17", work fine !

I still cannot see why we gotta micro manage the A.I.. For the most part they should be coded to know how to react to enemy gunfire. Take cover. The command key structure really could use a make over. It needs to be streamlined bigtime.

I still cannot see why we gotta micro manage the A.I.. For the most part they should be coded to know how to react to enemy gunfire. Take cover. The command key structure really could use a make over. It needs to be streamlined bigtime.

Well, they do take cover and react to enemy fire by default. What more you want?

Well, they do take cover and react to enemy fire by default. What more you want?

His point is that you have to constantly Nanny the AI... which you often do to avoid random disasters.

For example... they'll stick to their battle drills so rigorously it ensures they all get killed. They do bounding overwatch while caught in the open while under heavy fire... they adhere to strict brevets and formation discipline even when that puts one of them in the middle of the street under no cover. ect ect

Don't get me wrong. there is a lot of potential for awesome packed into the AI and they will surprise you with some glorious moments... but there are also some equally "keyboard bashing" tabletop-pounding moments with them too.

His point is that you have to constantly Nanny the AI... which you often do to avoid random disasters.

but there are also some equally "keyboard bashing" tabletop-pounding moments with them too.

You can say that again!

Nice, very welcomed, BAF use too :)

Thank god someone expands out of youtube land (with its crappy limits) ... nice to see.

More you than me with trying to explain, I would end up loosig the plot and re-recording about a thousand times ;)

Maybe there are limits for the poster on You Tube, but Megavideo only allowed me 72 minutes of view time, before asking me to subscribe and pay or wait 30 minutes. I guess I'll be watching this in installments. Quite annoying.

I'll take YouTube any day to quickly get a video out for the world to easily view.

Great work there Baz that must have taken you a lot of time.

Maybe there are limits for the poster on You Tube, but Megavideo only allowed me 72 minutes of view time, before asking me to subscribe and pay or wait 30 minutes.
I just downloaded them to my hard drive before watching so I can watch them as often as i want without any limits.

Superb work, dude! I've been trying to understand how the various formations work, and this is the best I've seen! Even me, at 79yrs old can understand it! I'm still having a problem with getting the different Menus put up, though. Which button brings up which Menu, etc. The game KB Card doesn't help much in that. Thoughts?

I just want to make sure of something here. Using the Shift + Fire Team Member button doesn't select the fireteam anymore correct? I just tried setting up a fireteam as team red and selecting the leader and that didn't work nor did any of the other units. I want to make sure I'm not the only one with that problem.

Superb work, dude! I've been trying to understand how the various formations work, and this is the best I've seen! Even me, at 79yrs old can understand it! I'm still having a problem with getting the different Menus put up, though. Which button brings up which Menu, etc. The game KB Card doesn't help much in that. Thoughts?

This thread might help?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1604453

And just to make sure - this post is the real gem: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1616808&postcount=25

-OP

Edited by Old_Painless

Unfortunately someone thought it was a good idea to store this material on MegaUpload. It wasn't. The entire domain has been seized, so the video are gone.

Likewise with the list on Armaholic - Comprehensive and In-Depth guide to commanding your AI squad - Articles.

I really need this. I thought I was going to be putting this on my bookmarks bar.... Then I saw what had happened to megauploads.com. Oh dear. :(