Sign in to follow this  
WingmanSR

mission 'pathfinder': giving orders only to your tank crew

On this mission, I would like to give only my tank crew move orders, apart from the rest of the APC's in the convoy. holding "space" and left clicking the move location moves everyone, and moving using the WASD keys is extremely tiring(FORWARD-LEFT-FORWARD-LEFT-FORWARD-RIGHT-FAST-HALT-FORWARD-RIGHT....) The tips specifically state you cannot select yourself using f1. Is there another way to move just my Abrams(without taking the driver position) and leave the rest of them to hold back, in a hull-down position on a hill, for example?

Makes no difference in a way tanking is pretty much the same in Arma2 as in Arma 1, but to answer the first post:

Is there another way to move just my Abrams(without taking the driver position) and leave the rest of them to hold back,

in a hull-down position on a hill, for example?

Yes there is, 1st i suggest useing the Fkeys like you are and go into tactical view which is the .

delete key on the number keypad by default then use the plus and minus buttons and zoom out

so you can see your tanks. press the F keys to find out which tank is what and then tell them all to wait for you.

or just select all press ~ (to select them all) and then go #1 and then #7 that will tell them to wait for you.

If you want to move them to a specific spot, then find out whih F key belongs to what tank,

and direct them there accordingly, or go into your map and you can direct your tanks by

clicking on a position on the map and they will go there.

If you want them to face a certain direction then hit #3 and then #8 and then hit the number

to the direction that corresponds to where you want them to look.

Keep in mind that directions ingame ae based off of real directional counterparts,

for example 90degrees is east, 0= n, 180=S ect.,

here is a Guide that can help you with guiding squads in and out of tanks:

[GUIDE] AI Squad Command

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81123

also there is definitions on the Ai commands and what they mean:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_AI_Combat_Modes

hope that helps

Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry for posting in the wrong forums, I could have sworn I clicked the right link, although I was posting after being up until 5am so I'm not entirely surprised ;) . The quick command for ordering them to watch a certain compass bearing is especially helpful, much easier than space+alt and makes "circling the wagons", so to speak, much easier. rotkeps thread was also very helpful as well as the wiki entry.

Welcome, theres no one right way to give commands, its really what works best for you in a given situation,

and only regular play and "practice" from it will allow you to determine what is best,

from that perspective you will figure it out, and gain a style of your own for commanding.

You will hover be suprised after some time after playing that this game will teach you things,

or do things that you never seen or thought would happen, unlike other games,

thats what makes this game unique and intreaging to say the least.