Sign in to follow this  
Sisko!

Creating a TvT battlefield / conquest style mission

Hi, long time lurker 1st time poster.

I've a fair bit of experience making missions at this stage but they're all mostly short coop 5 player style missions for myself and friends to play.

TLDR:

-----------------

Looking for help on how to create capture points. Where one team must capture a control point, of which they can spawn on when they take it.

A point where empty vehicles and static defenses spawn when the point is taken. And re spawn (after a few minutes) when they are destroyed.

I don't know whats possible and whats not but in an ideal world I'd like to have these points have a neutral stage (where no one controls it and can spawn on it).

And I need to know how to make a ticket system, say where each side starts off with 1000 points, and if OPFOR has 2 control points and BLUFOR only has 1, BLUFORS tickets will bleed. 1st team whose tickets reach 0 loses.

Can anyone please point me the right way or help me with any of these things? I've seen elements of some of these in different missions I've played.

Thank you.

-----------

I've found satisfying team versus team style gameplay hard to come by from servers I'd be joining.

I was a big fan of the mod called Desert Combat (BF1942 mod) back in the day and I can't help but crave for a conquest style mission to play team v team on that doesn't require 60+ players to enjoy :o

In fact I'd love nothing more then if some old desert combat fans remade some of those old maps onto one island and hosted it on a dedicated Desert Combat style tvt server.

But thats just a dream.

So I've decided to try and make my own conquest style mission with the goal of emulating the kind of game play DC had on say... el alamein. Two main bases, and 3 control points to capture. For me and my mates to play with the hopes of randomers joining and finally getting some good tvt gameplay going.

I've come across servers hosting 'battlefield 2' style missions but it didn't work. They scatter tons of bases all over the map and fill it with bots making really messy and laggy game play. These people making missions assuming 60 people will be on the server playing but thats never the case.

To be realistic your talking 5-10 people. 3 capture points makes for a better battle.

Imo its where bf2 messed up also adding too many capture points compared to 1942/DC.

I can't be the only one out there who think the smaller scale conquest style mission would work really well for tvt arma2/OA ?

Cheers guys.

@Decerto thanks m8 yeah thats one aspect of all this I'll need so now I can tick that box. N1.

@ everyone else:

That mission looks very interesting, its not what I was talking about at all though so I'm still interested in info on how to set up control points as I was asking in the OP.

But I shall deffo be trying that mission out for sure!

The problem is it is a bit difficult to explain how to set up control points without knowing how much background you have in scripting. Once you do have some basic scripting knowledge, figuring out how to make such things is quite easy. But if you don't know how to use triggers, variables, loops and waitUntil, as well as some basic client-server communication elements, then it's practically impossible to even tell you how to make that, as you need to understand those first.

Well I'd have only very basic understanding in that I've been editing missions since arma 1 but they'd generally be straight forward enough. Till now if there was something I needed to do or add in, some googling and reading of threads on forums such as this and some tweaking with scripts mentioned in such threads was all I needed.

I wouldn't have the knowledge to come up with my own scripts but I've experience tweaking and implementing them for sure.

I'm fully aware from reading many threads over the past 2 years that there is no quick answer to what I'm asking. But its from threads such as these that a lot of people learn how to edit more complex missions in this game so hey may as well give it a shot eh? :o

The problem is it is a bit difficult to explain how to set up control points without knowing how much background you have in scripting. Once you do have some basic scripting knowledge, figuring out how to make such things is quite easy. But if you don't know how to use triggers, variables, loops and waitUntil, as well as some basic client-server communication elements, then it's practically impossible to even tell you how to make that, as you need to understand those first.

And what if the person does understand all of that, but does not know where to start in something like a TvT mission where there are 3 objectives to complete. Is there a template anywhere, or an already made mission that isn't too full of random scripts?

I'm somewhat biased

You may well think that!

But your bloody well intitled to! :)

Cracking set of Pvp scripts!

Cracking set of Pvp scripts!

Why thank you sir !

I don't see any objective-based TvT in that wizard.

There are a wide variety of objective types that range from simple capture and hold to hostage-rescue or seek-and-destroy of enemy vehicles. A couple of videos that explain this a bit more clearly...

(last half)

Any help guys? What I'm looking to do is actually similar to the 'hold' game mode I guess, cept they don't have to be in order.

I would be interested if someone could point out a little bit.

I would like to see how to create a single capture area definable by elipse size of marker,

that is a neutral point to start and then is capturable by either West or East.

In order to capture West would need to have say a 2:1 ratio over east and vice versa for East team. Once West has a 2:1 ratio then it takes 2 minutes to capture the area. Area turns blue(well say) and west is free to leave and capture another point.

All capture points need to be available all the time to both teams and there is no order to capturing them.(ala battlefield) Each capture point once owned by a team needs to be neutralized before being captured again.

Sorry for butting in but I believe this is the type of capture point Sisko is talking about, and I have had little luck getting it to work myself especially once it comes to getting it JIP and Dedi compatible.I have gotten a 2 trigger setup to work for the most part but it always trigers when I leave the area for the other team. and I havnt tested its MP capability yet.

So if someone could throw down a basic example of a single area I think many people would be greatly appreciative.

My current trigers are

Activation:ANY (Present)

Type:Timeout min 60 mid 90 max 120

Condition: this; west countside thislist >= 1 && east countside thislist <= 0 && {((getPosATL _x) select 2) < 5} count thislist > 0; // checks if west is more than east and if within 5 meters to ground.(opposite for other)

On Act: obj1trigw = true; "obj1" setMarkerColor "ColorBlue";"flag1" setMarkertype "Faction_USA_EP1";"flag1" setmarkercolor "Default"; hint "US Army has captured Area";nul = [this] execVM 'addscore.sqf'; //changes trigger true color of map marker and adds flag to center of area flag holder marker then adds 2 points for capturing.(same for other)

Activation:ANY (Present)

Type:Timeout min 60 mid 90 max 120

Condition: this; east countside thislist >= 1 && west countside thislist <= 0 && {((getPosATL _x) select 2) < 5} count thislist > 0;

On Act: obj1trige = true; "obj1" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";"flag1" setMarkertype "Faction_TKA_EP1";"flag1" setmarkercolor "Default"; hint "TK Army has captured Area";nul = [this] execVM 'addscore.sqf';

Using this though and all thru mission editor it works properly except the fact that when I leave an area I get a hint of capturing, not sure exactly how to fix that , I think it would require a third trigger in the mix.

Here Updated link broken is an example of my mission with only west added in so far and a single east for testing. It also has some XENO wrapped up in there and the Norrn Revive script.( it has several unused scripts in it but will be removing if I ever figure this stuff out.)

Edited by Rabble-Rouser