Sign in to follow this  
Deadfast

Deadfast's Stance Indicator

As per requests in this thread I present you the Stance Indicator addon I'm working on...

Here's a quick snap of the actual in-game implementation:

stance_wip_sm.jpg

In case you're wondering what those black bars are for it's an indicator whether you have walk enabled (no bars) or disabled. This is something that bothers me much more than not knowing in what position I am -no more jolting off like a fool when I want to sneak :)

Any feedback on the position, shape, size, color, opacity or anything else are very much welcome.

Pointless argument over the validity of this addon are not :(

@Deadfast: Not sure if you are still interested in making this 'stance-indicator' mod, but if it might help you i made some quick stance icons:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9771621/stance_up.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9771621/stance_crouche.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9771621/stance_prone.jpg

-> _caa.tga versions (512x256): _caa.tga versions (512x256)

Due to the prone stance i had to make it 512x256, but not sure if all icons needs a uniform size. Not familiar with UI icons etc...Let me know if interested or you need adjustments.

*Maybe for those who are against it, maybe the script can have a 'check difficulty mode', so the icons don't work in veteran mode or something like that.

Thanks, but I'm afraid I have already made my own :(

stance_wip_stances.png

Edited by Deadfast

Looks good to me :) and in worst case i ask permission to alter the pics to my own preference. Looking forward to release...

Looks nice...

And I think the icons could be a bit darker.

Can't wait to try

The icon will be always ON or will appear when you press a button to change the stance then disappear?

Edited by Smurf

Hey!--this ain't half bad at all, mate. I'm liking the look/sound of this one. Will have to get the rest of the HiFi crew to grab it when its completed. :D

Where do I think I've seen those icon before... it looked familiar. Raven Shield? Either way... good job. a very nice to have addon :)

Nice idea, me likes. :)

What would be perfect though if it could be activated/deactivated either in init.sqf or even better by just placing a module.

Hm, not sure if i follow you Wolle, but why would this need to be 'mission related'? It is a client side HUD indicator. Lets stick to plug&play please (those crazy mission makers... :p ).

I also hope it will be always ON, as that was the function of the indicator (to be able to see what stance you're in for us 'noobs'?

Hm, not sure if i follow you Wolle, but why would this need to be 'mission related'? It is a client side HUD indicator. Lets stick to plug&play please (those crazy mission makers... :p ).

Says the even more crazy addonmaker which needs months for a single addon because the pixels on a texture are misaligned. :D

I also hope it will be always ON, as that was the function of the indicator (to be able to see what stance you're in for us 'noobs'?

Easy, if it's activated by a module then I can define that the stance indicator is only visible in cadetmode for example. :p

But of course I can live with it too when it's permanently.

Edited by W0lle

Ah ic and point taken. As you know, cfg/script noob since day 1. But i guess there is no need for hidding the HUD indicator imho. I don't consider it as a cheat, but as an additional help for something a normal human would know (something that can't be fully simulated ingame). I'm sure most players that spend enough time ingame start know 'feel' their stance (i know i did in the good old days). But since the battlefield slowly starts to shift more to CQB, it might help some.

Additionally, this addon (in work) was made out of a patch suggestion, so if BIS would add it, they could code it so one could disable/enable it in whatever mode they want.

OFFTOPIC: But does anybody know why i can't turn of a mod with the ingame mod selector? I thought that was the idea behind it.... I have the disable key but it is grey (not working).

Where do I think I've seen those icon before... it looked familiar. Raven Shield? Either way... good job. a very nice to have addon :)

Something similar could be there, but what you see here is 100% Arma 2 USMC soldier :)

Good idea! :)

Did you draw the outline to the soldiers by hand?

If so, may I offer to make them look nicer for you?

Abs

You are a godsend. One request: an additional 'sprinting' icon.

Any plans for showing health areas? I.e. over some time, fade legs to a certain degree of red depending on how hurt your legs was. For hands you could just colorize the whole weapon.

Reason: You might be in a vehicle or in a weapon with forcedOptics, and no 3rd person. Means you cannot always check yourself visually for damaged textures (if the model even have them). Calling a medic so he can check if you're alright seems to me like overkill for what should be fairly obvious. Taking a gunshot is kinda obvious, as you get suppression effects and blood platter textures on screen. Other kinds of damages (falling of small rocks, being pushed by a vehicle) are not. Even the complaining voice isn't always clear on who is hurt - me or one of my three close units? No, seems I got clear of that blast radius, it was one of them others that was complaining. Medic just wasted time on me.

Good idea! :)

Did you draw the outline to the soldiers by hand?

Oh, god no. I couldn't draw if my life depended on it :D

stance_wip_outline.png

Any plans for showing health areas? I.e. over some time, fade legs to a certain degree of red depending on how hurt your legs was. For hands you could just colorize the whole weapon.

I'd rather not, I've noticed some people were already a bit emotional about this one. I'll probably have to make a separate addon for that.

Edited by Deadfast

Can You remove, or at least make a version without those black\green\whatever lines behind the soldier?

The ACE team have said it's impossible to tell if you're about to run or walk. Have you also found this? No chance of a workaround?

The ACE team have said it's impossible to tell if you're about to run or walk. Have you also found this? No chance of a workaround?

Of course it's possible you only need the check the veloCity of the given unit.

Everything higher then 3.0 is run lower is walk. ;)

Nice stuff by the way Deadfast.

isWalking :)