Sign in to follow this  
nedley

A2 - OA BAF Campaign Impressions

I think the BAF campaign is way better than previous campaigns.

+More immersive, feels a lot like I remember Operation Flashpoint. Some mundane tasks actually help frame the story, as you seem to have re-discovered recently.

+more focus on building up momentum storywise, lots of funny exchanges. Good work on the manuscript :-)

+better voiceacting

+added bonus, they're europeans! It's nice to take a break from the omnipresent american twang in gaming :-) 'what are they called? budweiser and pilzner.' haha-

+the scripting of the campaign is quite solid

-Vehicle behaviour is still not good enough. Seeing 60 ton vehicles skidding around the ground like they were nimble bicycles hurts the Arma fanboy within. They need to feel a lot heavier on the ground and possibly in their controls too.

-Vehicle pathfinding - is not good, especially on wheeled vehicles like the Jackal. I spent a lot of time waiting for the other Jackal to turn a corner etc, and I never let the AI drive my own vehicle, no patience for that :-)

-Vehicle command and control still need work. In the BAF campaign I spent way too much time fiddling around with the Jackals. On one hand you can do a lot of things with the current interface, on the other it is tactically speaking very unsatisfactory: you cannot control vehicle facing or hull down positions (unless you're lucky) to any meaningful degree and vehicle AI more often than not endanger itself by turning on its axis while shooting at someone etc.

But all in all a very cool DLC to an otherwise excellent game!

Just finished last night. The FOB defence mission had me cursing at my AI a lot but was good fun. I like mission before that one the best. It was so varied with a lot of optional secondaries and had an atmoshpere of really helping out the villagers and making your presence in the valley known.

I rate it way better than the OA campaign, despite it's length and count it as very good value for the price.

Oh, and the phrase 'wank chariot' is now forever burned into my brain thanks to this game.

Edited by Decerto

Got the BAF expansion today, and finished the campaign in couple of hours.

Littlebit disappointed, so short, only 4 missions ? Otherwise good campaign.

One of the campaign missions should be coop available. "Heat" it is called.

One of the reasons the campaign isnt coop compatible is because it is alot of extra work to make it work, And the second one(guessing) is that the campaign is made so that if you lose a team member, he wont be replaced for the rest of the campaign.

I think the BAF campaign is far less complex mission-wise that OA campaign so I figure there'd be less MP issues with it.

The good solution for MP version would be to have main character which would have to stay alive through all missions for the sake of storytelling but supported by "expendable" characters which would then magically appear as playables after every mission despite losses.

Maybe someone can edit the campaign later on like this.

I cant find the mortars in the mission Heat, I checked the entire red marked zone like 10 times and only find, I think 2 mortar post, kill em, but mission doesnt complete. Could it be bugged?

Also I destroyed the observation post, and some mortars still active but I dont know where to look

EDIT: not to mention that both cars was destroyed thanks to the AI ¬¬

Edited by SpetS15