Sign in to follow this  
tedbell

OA patch "Wrong CD Key" error - slow gfx on 5870

I installed ArmA2 and OA on a coreI7 930/12gb/5870 system and I have two issues...

1- 'wrong CD key' when trying to install 1.52 OA patch

2- sluggish performance in both ArmA2 and OA - compared to previous performance using nvidia 260 and core2 e6600

Please help.. what other game matters except this one? None.

:confused:

Which version of Arma? If Steam you shouldn't be trying to install 1.52, if DVD then possibly you typed the code wrong originally? If you PM/Email me your key I can check it.

Thanks, Placebo .. they are both CD copies, but I did online authentication when asked.. I will pm you with both serials. I can run both games fine with the EXE, but the performance is a bit jerky which should not be the case going from nvidia 260 to ati 5870. Should be about double GPU power.

Both ArmA2 and OA have this, so this has to be an ATI issue with ArmA2/OA -- GTA4, UT3, JUSTCAUSE2 and METRO2033 all work fine with smooth frames.

I am hoping the patch will help sort this out when i can install it... I have to say that I love the camera shake added to OA - adds even more immersion!

Placebo,

I'm sure that you are a very busy person but I'm also unable to install OA from the DVD. The setup program claims my key number is invalid. I've tried upper and lower case, substituting 'zero's' for 'oh's'. What's more, the key number is printed clearly, so that's not an issue.

Additionally I have the steam version of ARMA 2 installed and working properly.

I'm going to email you my key number.

Hope that you can help out...

Byron

no, keys checked out ok by placebo.. will try a reinstall again

TWO cycles of reinstalling/uninstalling didn't help. Still get "Wrong CD Key" error. Makes no sense since cdkeys check out ok.

Edited by tedbell

To get around this I entered a fake reg key circulating around the net and the 1.52 patch installed finally! Now the performance of my 5870 is soooo wonderful! I can have 5k viewdistance and post effects and run JTD fire and smoke with no slowdowns!!!

After patching, I regged it back to my store bought serial and now the beta patches work! I do not understand this, and haven't heard back from Placebo to resolve this issue yet, but thought that it may help others who are in this wacky situation.

To get around this I entered a fake reg key circulating around the net and the 1.52 patch installed finally! Now the performance of my 5870 is soooo wonderful! I can have 5k viewdistance and post effects and run JTD fire and smoke with no slowdowns!!!

After patching, I regged it back to my store bought serial and now the beta patches work! I do not understand this, and haven't heard back from Placebo to resolve this issue yet, but thought that it may help others who are in this wacky situation.

Using a key found on the net will not only get you Fade but it will also make it likely that installing a legitimate version of the game will also still suffer Fade issues.

I'm sorry I hadn't replied to your email, you didn't mention in it your forum account name so I didn't put the two together, I'm looking into it and will reply shortly.

Edit: I have now replied to your email.

Edited by Placebo

Using a key found on the net will not only get you Fade but it will also make it likely that installing a legitimate version of the game will also still suffer Fade issues.

I'm sorry I hadn't replied to your email, you didn't mention in it your forum account name so I didn't put the two together, I'm looking into it and will reply shortly.

Edit: I have now replied to your email.

Thanks, but this was the only way I was able to progress beyond the install CD! Fade is not an issue, because I put my real key back after the fake key allowed me to upgrade.

So, I installed with my key - saved the registry value - put in fake key and patched - and then put my real key back.

I don't know what the problem was - and I guess you couldn't find a solution to this anomaly either - although thank you very much for trying, but luckily this works!

BTW- I have had no further problems using beta patches with my legit key - go figure! But I will keep the fake one handy in case I ever need to reinstall. Unless, of course, you put out a Game of the Year Edition which I will happily try with that!