Sign in to follow this  
franze

Su-17/22M4 'FITTER-K'

Sukhoi Su-17/22M4

ALPHA release 0.1

fza_su17m4_alpha_2.jpg

NOTICE: This is an ALPHA release. That means: unfinished, buggy, incomplete. This addon and associated addons may not work 100%!

After 2 years in development, I've decided to go ahead and release my Su-17/22M4 aircraft. It's pretty far from finished, but ArmA1 is fast becoming obsolete and I'd like a few people to enjoy it before I move on.

This is a comprehensive package containing a number of unfinished and incomplete addons:

• Cy-17M4 'FITTER-K' Fighter-Bomber
  • Su-22M4 'FITTER-K' Fighter Bomber (in NATO Polish or SLAF colors)
  • MiG-23MLD 'FLOGGER' Fighter
  • An-12B 'Cub' Transport
  • 1S91 'STRAIGHT FLUSH' Tracking and Guidance radar
  • 2k12 'SA-6 GAINFUL' SAM system
  • 9M31 'SA-9 GASKIN' SAM system
  • M1097 Avenger HMMWV SAM
  • ZiL-157 Fuel and Ammo trucks (by Nodunit)
  • Molinya/Tarantul III class missile boat
  • Kurilekia 51x51km island

This was all intended to be supporting material for a campaign focusing on the Su-17; unfortunately time constraints meant I simply could not finish it all. Most of this stuff is not super-high quality standards but enables a relatively complete experience without sacrificing too much performance.

fza_su17m4_alpha_4.jpg

The focus is still on the Su-17/22M4 fighter-bomber aircraft - this is a further step in the evolution of our aircraft line, presenting new features and redesigning old ones:

- CCIP system - the ASP-17 gunsight can display a basic impact point for bombs, rockets, and guns. Not a very refined system and incredibly inaccurate, it still offers more options than 'guess bombing'.

- Steerpoint systems - the HSI has the ability to map steerpoints, similar to waypoints. The HSI will display the heading to the next steerpoint and the distance until that steerpoint is reached. It enables a better hands-on flying ability than having to check the map every now and then, in addition to offering a useful tool for indicating distance to certain targets, etc.

- ELINT - the Su-17/22M4 can equip the KKR combined camera, flare, and ELectronic INTelligence pod. This pod can take pictures which other players can view from the Photography Tent, flares for lighting up areas at night, and the ELINT suite which can detect hostile radiation sources. Radiation sources can be defined for a mission or known radiation sources detected (i.e., PIVADS, GUNDISH). This pod will automatically identify the radiation source of a SAM that fires upon the aircraft.

- Missile spoofing has been improved dramatically. By default, the aircraft has flares and chaff which offer some protection, but require the aircraft to beam the missile: flying perpendicular to the missile. Failure to do so gives the missile a greater chance of hitting at the 12 and 6 O'clock positions. The SPS jammer pod greatly increases missile spoofing capability as well as providing an active ECM jammer.

- Damage system - the aircraft will display varying states of physical damage depending on which systems are hit. Handling can be affected, weapons will fail, fuel will leak, hydraulic systems will lose pressure, and critical damage can cause catastrophic results.

- Improved cluster bombs will dispense munitions along their axis of motion now instead of a random square.

- Klen Laser/TV targeting system offers a manual guidance capability for destroying static targets with laser guided or TV guided weapons.

- Dynamic arming system offers 22 different weapons and pods to be equipped on the aircraft in varying orders.

Here is the online manual detailing additional features, functions, editor usage, and other information.

There are 6 missions included with this package:

Singleplayer -

Su-17 - Quick Mission Player (Play a number of quick scenarios with three different aircraft in various conditions)

Su-17 - Search and Rescue (As a Polish Su-22M4 pilot, assist in the rescue of a downed pilot)

Su-17 - Basic Flight Training (Familiarization with basic aircraft features)

Su-17 - Demo (A simple demo mission for flying around and blowing stuff up)

Multiplayer -

Su-17 - Furball 2-8 MP (4 vs 4 gunzo dogfighting mission pits Polish and SLA Su-22s against each other in a per-round basis)

Su-17 - The Pipes 2-8 MP (8 player cooperative mission has all players work to eliminate objectives over Kurilekia)

fza_su17m4_alpha_3.jpg

Credits

Franze (modeling, texturing, scripting)

Nodunit (ZiL-157 model and texture)

General Barron (getpitch, getbank, setpitch, setbank functions)

Footmunch (afterburner script)

Gaia/Xenom (nuclear blast script)

Gedis (provided information sources on Su-17)

Hellcat (testing)

Music Credits:

Peter Johnston (La ere gymnopedie) courtesy of musopen.com

Davis High School Symphony Orchestra (Polyvetsian Dances) courtesy of musopen.com

United States Marine Band (Grand Fantasie from Die Walkure) courtesy of musopen.com

Bernd Krueger (Moonlight sonata 1st movement) http://www.piano-midi.de/ogg.htm

(Space Fighter Loop, What You Want v2, Cool Rock, Pulse Rock) Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Special Thanks:

Col Klink - Many scripting concepts based upon his work

CrazyIvan - Cyrillic/Russian translations

-----------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to review the readme before installing!

REQUIRED: Franze/EricJ F/A-18E/F Beta 0.45

Download - Su-17/22M4 'FITTER-K' 60.5MB

Enjoy!

fza_su17m4_alpha_1.jpg

Edited by Franze

Woot! :o

Thanks Franze & other contributors for all the hard work.

nice work Franze. im glad you finally released it.

Thanks for the kind word gents. Sorry that it can't be more polished but that would be a full time job for another couple years. :)

Arma2 version PLEASEEEEEEEEE

i have no Arma1 :(

please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please

Wow finally ! Looking awesome Franze ! :eek:

Arma2 version PLEASEEEEEEEEE

please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please

I'm with Vilas here, 'would be so great if you could do an A2 version !

Decidedly lucrative period for ArmA. :) Thank you very much Franze :)

Any tips and tricks on how to make it working (without CTD) in A2?

Gents,

The ArmA2 version will be a bit longer in coming because I'd like to have a more thorough and finalized release for A2. Technically it will work in ArmA2, but it does not run well and many functions are broken. You can try it but you have to put an empty jet in, then get into it (wrong pilot definitions) and you have to place the Su-17 weapons unit in. This isn't supported right now but it can 'work' that way to a certain degree.

The A2 variant will need many scripting changes, material changes, and so on. There's a heavy dependence on SQS scripts which need to be converted to SQF and material changes, plus some cockpit changes that are required. Since I'm going to all that trouble I'd like to finish the cockpit and get a more solid system working.

For what it's worth, it doesn't look that different in ArmA2:

fza_su17m4_prealpha_arma2_1.jpg

Lovely work Franze

Ever addon maker feels different about it, and their entitled to there own policy, but would you consider releasing a simple "striped" version for ArmA2/OA now, then provide your uber version later?

Well Gnat, the problem is that there's so many unfinished parts as it stands; the cockpit is only about 50% done and many other parts required a lot more polish to even be acceptable. If the cockpit were done I probably wouldn't have many qualms about releasing it into A2 with some script bugs, but that's only scratching the surface with what I wanted to do with it.

There's a lot of stuff it was designed to do that really don't come into their own under your typical ArmA circumstances - I didn't build it as a replacement for the Su-34 or Su-25, but as a part of a whole experience. By itself it's got all these functions that don't make any sense without having the 'missionized' experience.

I could release it for ArmA2 and build it up as I go on, but I think it'd be a big disappointment because it was designed on ArmA1 limitations without being properly converted to ArmA2's baseline.

Very nice work, great looking plane

For what it's worth, it doesn't look that different in ArmA2:

except more realistic, and much needed, we need more fighter plane varients in Arma 2.

I'd like a few people to enjoy it before I move on.

Thanks Franz - I appreciate it - looks awesome!

I could release it for ArmA2 and build it up as I go on, but I think it'd be a big disappointment because it was designed on ArmA1 limitations without being properly converted to ArmA2's baseline.

but when used as "air support" in mission ???

for Polish troops it is very needed (along with F16) when in mission i call air support and airplane to strike in enemy tanks

for other countries A10 or SU25, but for Poland SU22 is essential (modern or P85)

but when used as "air support" in mission ???

for Polish troops it is very needed (along with F16) when in mission i call air support and airplane to strike in enemy tanks

for other countries A10 or SU25, but for Poland SU22 is essential (modern or P85)

The problem with that is it's got way too much detail and far too many functions to serve as a support unit. You would want something more like the MiG-23MLD I built for that purpose. :)

Thanks for the explanations Franze, best wishes for the work :)

Ho and btw, the screens you posted in the ArmA 2's dedicated topic are superb !

THANKS Franze !!!

For this bird, i must launch ArmA(AA) :)

And wait for MiG-23MLD