Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Taviana Island for ArmA 2!

I added leaves to the sidewalks and roads to see how it will look, I find it quite nice but I need your help on this, should I keep the leaves or not?

Probably not, as there are no trees anywhere near.

So in some angles the shadows show and in some they don’t because of surrounding structures which have a geometry LOD.

The Geometry LOD has nothing to do with shadow-drawing. The Resolution-LODs are used for drawing shadows when your "Shadow Detail" is set to High or Very High". The ShadowLOD is being used when your "Shadow Detail" is set Normal.

Well I didn't get permission from Mondkalb to use the pub so I'll cotinue with the original plan and use the old OFP BIS pub.

I'm not handing out any MLODs any more. Had some very bad experience with that recently. Besides, from the feedback I've received there are many projects already using Buildings_3, so it will probably become an addon of some standard. Though I highly doubt all islands I was contacted about will ever be released. The usual...

@ Martin

You continue to blow me away with your high level of detail.'no to the leaves IMO in the city, but yes to them in rural areas.

i am in no way trying to pressure you or rush you, but do you think you will have the beta released by August 24th?

On a side note Martin, given that you have created a tunnel, does this mean you can create caves?

Well, looks like the leaves will have to go. :tongue:

i am in no way trying to pressure you or rush you, but do you think you will have the beta released by August 24th?

I certainly hope so, but I don’t want to promise anymore release dates because I always end up not meeting them.

On a side note Martin, given that you have created a tunnel, does this mean you can create caves?

Well to some degree it is possible to make small caves which I will make later on but nothing too big.

Awesome map dude! Where exactly did you get the inspiration from to make a large city like this?

When you live far away from your country you constantly look for ways to get back in some shape or form even if you can’t physically go back yet. So I decided to re-create Eastern Europe virtually, and I also want to bring things in to ArmA that aren’t there yet and to show people that the ArmA engine has much more potential then they think.

As for the big city, I don’t really know what made me make it, probably because I'm from a big city myself and it reminds me of it, but I think that a great realistic simulator needs a great island with realistic cities, not only villages; I also love Eastern culture, architecture (and Soviet architecture) and most of all I love modelling and BIS games so I decided to stick all these feelings together and ended up with Taviana.

Will you perhaps be making some guarded parking spaces? you know -> a fence / a boom barrier / a small guardpost. That's how most of the parkings look like (well, at least here) and that's what I associate with such urban / block landscape.

Just a suggestion

Done already, beside government buildings and institutions, but not for civilian parking. I'll post some screenshots in a few days when I finish the parliament building.

Edited by -Martin-

Is there going to be a large harbor? Or at least relatively large?

Yes there is yes.gif but not in this beta because it will be all the way up in the North where the natural gas rigs will be.

Well, I thought that there won't be much to show on Taviana once I reach these final stages but it looks like there is always something to show on this island, so here we go again:

<snip>

If you've never been to a hospital in Eastern Europe count yourself lucky, most people die from fear in there. But the ones on Taviana are much friendlier.

ROTFL! - at first... having been to a Black Sea resort & seen the scars left on survivors of even common operations like appendectomies or Caesarians by "surgeons" - many of whom must have been 'upgraded' plumbers, carpenters or abbatoir workers - I know pretty much what you mean.

Seriously - I've been lurking in this thread for several months & I'm amazed by what you're doing here, and drooling with anticipation at getting my digits on this island :icon_dj:

Just don't die of exhaustion before you finish it (or even afterwards, come to think of it!).

With great respect

Orcinus

do you think you could put up a picture it zoomed in at just the finished part of the map? hopefully also i'll be able to see where the airport is and the capital is exactly on the map. i'll understand though if you don't want to post it.

I hope the train tracks will be connected and will not have dead ends. Every train script I tried only works if the train can go in a loop, reverse isnt an option. It would be sad to have all those awesome trains you posted but not have them working because the tracks aren't connected. :cool:

Holy crap this is what im Trying (capital T) to aspire to! Looks great mate, really like the open town area, feels like you'd want to walk around the place as a civilian rather than a soldier. Nice stuff!

Regards Jeza

Martin, this is one of the most thought out planned island I have seen thus far. Keep up the amazing work.

What's up everyone?

Someone in this thread asked me a few weeks ago if I will make a bridge that connects the main island with the smaller one and I said "No! I'm too lazy for that, forget it :mad:" but I couldn't do that to you guys so I made it anyway :o

The only problem was that nobody ever made a bridge that big, so I had to come up with something and I did.

I would like to you meet "Bratislav", based on the Great Belt bridge in Denmark it is the tallest, and longest suspension bridge in ArmA 2, stretching for 3km with towers standing proudly at 530 meters over the Taviana horizon:

ou7i3fub7mfrohochi46_thumb.jpg

nj16mp9fpgs226iwarub_thumb.png

Most Germans (and Czechs) here should know where the real Rozvadov (Waidhaus) is ;)

2p0v8hrzokznu5hrvki8_thumb.png

z2e8tft1cxi3xrrhl8ks_thumb.jpg

elgvi8plkna1hfg3mnl_thumb.jpg

5fg8e8zev5atuu0b98n_thumb.jpg

i9uob805loapbsixevxs_thumb.jpg

And little video of the bridge for you:

Gz3fc3OwJkA

The capital and airport:

t45k3mzbt4uvqhcztlic_thumb.jpg

For anyone who is wondering, the ships are from Gnat's Isolda Fleet addon and can be downloaded here: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1676

Having said all that, the entire South of the island is now done!

This still needs to be done:

• About 10 - 15 models in the capital
  • Tewak satellite and layer mask
  • Tweak the roads

So I'm pretty confident that I can pull this off in 2 weeks and finally release :yay:

Edited by -Martin-

That is a very, very, very, very, very long bridge!! Hope there is a petrol station at either end!

Very nice work - looking forward to this.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job,

But Aussie and the rest of the Australia Island for Arma 1 really did a Sydney bridge. It was a three sections model and I seem to remember it was huge.

Anyway, Good job!!!

wow, your island is already amazing, now you add a huge bridge simply jaw dropping!

Now having this bridge, we need some nice civilian/acrobatic aircraft so we can organize multilpayer racing events (like RedBull). :rthumb:

Amazing work, soo much detail! a question about that airport, will that also be detailed and realistic and not like the boring Military style airport of Chernarus?

The bridge looks EPIC... Can't wait for the release!

I agree with everyone else. This looks jaw-dropping Amazing! Capital, Parliment, a harbour, bridge. Oh the possibilities! I've already thought of missions and campaigns for this (If I ever finish one heheh).

one monsterfull bridge ?

~1 hours of work or more

one huge island ?

more than one days of work

collecting all the smile and fantasy from your friends ?

priceless

I would say that this would be impossible, but you've done the impossible. I think that you should in a later update implement an interstate highway system. If not that, at least make a main four-lane highway if possible.