A number of people have commented favorably about my little script to augment using BI's artillery. Some is good, more is better. So....
For those interested in scripting artillery - a toolkit to help out.
Included are support routines to help in finding, evaluating, targeting, and of course shooting at units and groups of units with indirect fire. Plus some other goodies to help in scripting fire missions. Like a FSM to automate the entire process - just specify the spotter units, batteries to manage, and some stuff like time between missions.
Using it in a mission seriously upgrades the threat of support weapons. As in real life - camping in plain site of a FO is not a healthy lifestyle choice, especially if you have a lot of friends nearby. Likewise, being a FO is not going to make you highly beloved by the opposition, stay inconspicous because you are the key to whether shells rain down in the area.
Thanks to all who've helped test the code and documentation. Enjoy.
15 Aug 2010 - Initial Release.
13 Sept 2010 - "Beta 2".
- Documentation in pdf format.
- Demo mission in pbo format, ready to install in MPmissions folder.
- Signed addons.
30 Sept 2010 - 1.1
- Minor adjustments to demo mission.
- Improved documentation, more info on setup and getting started.
- Scripted version of routines and FSM included for those that dislike using addons.
- Unpacked version of demo mission included to show use of scripted routines.
25 Oct 2010 - 2.0
- The previous version's code and documentation used coordinates above terrain level ( getPosATL ) vs above sea level ( getPosASL ). The effect was negligible due to consistancy of how it was used, but still deserved correction.
- Dependencies on the CBA mod have been removed. ECHO now requires no addons in either .pbo or script form.
- A number of new functions to manage observer and battery behavior have been added. These allow for greater control of overall behavior.
- Taking advantage of these new features, the fire director FSM now has a first-generation predictive fire capability, where it can optionally aim fire at where it believes a moving target group will be, taking time of flight and group speed into account.
- Improvements to the cluster quality algorithm, which should enhance the target selection processs.
- Various minor code changes as well as corrections in the documentation.
- Inter-Process Communications. A new subsystem for enhanced methods of exchanging data between routines.
- Routines to create IPCs and communication channel under them.
- Routines to transmit data locally and across hosts.
- Routines to recieve data and check for new data.
- Fire Director.
- Cleaner layout of directories and files. Users will need to make minor adjustments to #include directives to reflect new paths.
- New functions that give the mission maker the ability to register routines that will be invoked for events like shot fired, splash, etc.
- Addition of a number of support functions that use the new IPC system, allowing them to be spawned vs called. This greatly increases performance.
- Offer a 2nd Finite State Machine. Code in that version eliminates a couple of situations that could cause a stall, making some to believe their batteries had run out of ammunition. This FSM also uses the new IPC system.
- Various improvements to further tune the targeting selection system.
- Updated demo missions.
- Updated documentation. Now over 50 pages long.
26 Jan 2011 - 2.1
- Ability to terminate ECHO FSMs.
- Ability to create artillery batteries dynamically.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Updated documentation.