Sign in to follow this  
Leopotam

Blender import / export plugins

Question:

I can not find the 'lod distance' box in blender 2.5. Is it by chance the same as the 'custom properties' dialogue?

If yes do I make new custom properties for each lod named after that lod and at the distance specified in the wiki? (i.e. geometry, fire geometry, view cargo...)

P.s. Thank you a TON leopotam, this makes work with vbs2 far easier

angryalbatross, blender is not a modeling tool for arma only. Are you sure, that p3d-plugins installed and activated? When you activate p3d-export plugin, new "arma properties" rollout will be added to properties panel (N).

If yes do I make new custom properties for each lod named after that lod and at the distance specified in the wiki? (i.e. geometry, fire geometry, view cargo...)

Yes, mass and lod distance (custom or from predefined list).

Edited by Leopotam

Leopotam, I am very aware blender is not for arma only haha. I realized I was looking in the wrong menu (i was looking in the object data rollout where there is a section called 'custom properties' that looks like it could have been what you were saying to use) , I have more experience with 3ds max then blender, and the guys here at the office and I are really tired of using oxygen.

one last question I just thought of, how do I add proxys for vehicles in blender?

Edited by angryalbatross

As far as I know, proxies - "point with 2 vectors" groups looks like triangles. You can create single triangle and mark it with correct selection name.

I have encountered one problem.

If I export my blender file as a p3d and put it straight into the game (vbs2 which is based off of arma) it doesn't work, but if I open it in oxygen, save it, and then put it in the game, it works. I would love to be able to just go straight from blender, but if this is impossible it is not a big deal.

Exporter v0.3.11:

* Compatibility with r37702 (2.58).

Importer v0.2.7:

* Compatibility with r37702 (2.58).

Uses only standard releases, not tested with trunk builds.

First post updated.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Anyone who has questions about using Blender, can join to skype group: Blender FAQ's.

Hey

I use Blender 2.58 with a very simple model.

After exporting, in O2, the top view shows the left side of the model while the front view shows top the and the left view shows the front view of the model.

Also the scale of the y axis is not right, it's way too small (it's not proportional to the others dimensions of the model).

Any clue on how to fix this ? Thanks.

Hey

Thanks Leopotam, left and front view in O2 are still inverted but proportions are good.

That could be nice to quickly sum all the issues/answers in your first post, that would save -us and you- a lot of time reading hundreds of post/asking/answering/linking.

Thanks again.

Strange, need time to test. May be, "usual" api change :)

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

All correct - blender coordinate system differs from O2 - blender's up-axis is "Z", O2's up-axis is "Y". Just use blender for modeling and forget about axies.

Axies convertation when export (Blender -> O2):

X -> X

Y -> Z

Z -> Y

Hi Leopotam, a lot of users said me that you should be an expert in modelling and animation making, that's why I'm bugging you :).

I just created a simple animation with Blender. With your plugins, I converted the blender file into .p3d , and then I tried to export it into O2. But it gives me an error, saying it can't load. Why? Should I attach to my anim the BIS skeleton?

expert in modelling and animation making

They lies. :)

Animation store in special RTM-files, not in p3d. As you can see, only p3d can be exported (lods and selections). There are no ways to export animation from blender nowdays.

They lies. :)

Animation store in special RTM-files, not in p3d. As you can see, only p3d can be exported (lods and selections). There are no ways to export animation from blender nowdays.

OK Then. I know that RTM files can be created with O2, or something like that. True?

OK Then. I know that RTM files can be created with O2, or something like that. True?

Yep, move selections for all lods frame by frame :)

Exporter v0.3.12:

* Compatibility with r44136 (2.62).

Importer v0.2.8:

* Compatibility with r44136 (2.62).

First post updated.

Hi Leopotam,

i checked the importer. and i got errors that the script can´t assign vertices to the vertexGroups. so i wrote me a fix and i want to share it with you.

You can fix that by using replacing this line 79 > obj.vertex_groups.assign(vert, vg, 1, 'ADD') < with > vg.add([vert.index], 1.0, 'ADD') <.

Greets Pillord.

EDIT: I changed the script. Now all LOD's an selections will be displayed in Blender and each LOD is in one Layer. This only works with .p3d Files <= 20 LOD cause Blender have only 20 selection fields.

Here the link to the .py file. http://78.46.48.235/downloads/addon_leopotam_import_p3d_mlod.py

I hope you will use and publish this.

(This was my first phyton script)

blender.png

Edited by Pillord

Sorry I wan't to tell all people that Blender with that importer/exporter ist the best 3D-Editor. The tools to edit mashs are more than great!

Leopotam your work open a great possibility to create the hole 3D-Model in Blender with all Lod's. This work with proxys too, but only with 40 letters, cause Blender don't allow more.

All UV-Maps can be created in Blender in exported by your tool, many thx to Leopotam, caues with that tool you can create 3D-Models in one month.

The last think for me, is to name the Lod's with the Lod_type names. I hope it's possible with this description: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/P3D_Model_Info

Edited by Pillord

Importer v0.2.9:

* Additional compatibility with r44136 (2.62) (patch from Pillord).

First post updated.

This only works with .p3d Files <= 20 LOD cause Blender have only 20 selection fields.

I had the same thoughts, but just look at this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/P3D_Model_Info#Resolution_Values

For example, vehicle with driver/gunner/cargo has at least 20 parts (for one distance lod), so I forgot all about blender layers. :(

The last think for me, is to name the Lod's with the Lod_type names. I hope it's possible with this description

You can create 1-1000 visual lods for your model (without system lods) - how will you name them?

btw, Pillord, you're the first alive "importer" user. :)

Edited by Leopotam

Importer v0.2.9:

btw, Pillord, you're the first alive "importer" user. :)

And I hope I'm not the last one, cause now you can export your Arma2 O2 Models to Belnder, working on LOD's and details needed in Amra3 or TOH.

And I don't saw any model with more than 15 Lod's in Arma2.

I build one german chopper and now the C-160 in Blender an it's very helpfuly to export them to Blender.

It's one click to separate parts of the model to create a engine hood, door or other parts, that are used in TOH or VBS2 and I think in Arma3 and after that I feel it easy to create the new UV-Maps in Blender.

In all BIS Models are 6-8 Distancelods, 2 Shadowlods, 1 Memorylod, 2-3 geometrylods, Hitpoints and Landcontactlod. This names are allways used and I think the most important Lodnames.

Edited by Pillord