Sign in to follow this  
WildFire8

General AI Question..

So Ive been messing around with manhattan and the mission after, right now im trying to take one of the towns with only my squad..

My question is does anyone know the distance that AI engages? At what distance should I go prone and how close can I get in when I am prone? Cause right now im just running in like John Wayne and I gotta admit its not workin out so well....

The AI's effective engagement range is determined to a large part to the weapon they are carrying. Having said that the magic number where the AI typically notices and engages targets effectively is at around 200-230 meters.

By clever usage of cover and careful movement it is quite possible to crawl within a few meters of the AI. Two things to keep in mind is that the AI is tremendously sensitive to movement and experiences grass differently than you do.

-k

So what your saying is it is possible to sneak up on them? Cause in badlands im sitting up on the hill where you meet the HQ APC and there are two guys that get me from all the way down in the city. One is an AT guy the other is a rifleman. Its a long distance, to the point I dont even thing about looking that direction, even my guys dont spot them and then boom, they shoot from halfway across that map and game over, man.

If there is a way to sneak up on AI how so, should I wait til their back is turned or what?

Absolutely.

Do note that the AI has a longer engagement range than he does an effective detection range. I've seen the AI engage targets at 800meters and more if they are armed with the right weapons (machine guns for instance) -- and the target has been spotted.

* Use terrain. Try to break line of sight whenever possible.

* Move slowly and keep low.

* Don't shoot. Shooting paints a target on your head.

Be aware that friendly AI, even if set to stealth mode, will seriously disrupt your infiltration attempts. Friendly AI will run from cover to cover, disregard the fact that you are prone and behind cover, and otherwise behave as real muppets.

Your best bet if infiltrating with friendly AI is to use terrain whenever possible, and once closer to the enemy set them to Prone (all-7-8) Or home for a miracle.

-k

When you say break line of sight, define exactly. Cause honestly im prone the whole time. I never have line of sight. Are you saying use trees and buildings and more solid objects?

What constitutes effective concealment varies from terrain to terrain. When I say break line of sight I want you to use whatever at your disposal. Out of preference is the terrain itself. Hilltops or microterrain features makes great cover.

Do realise that going prone in a field with grass or on a road is quite different as well. :)

Next question: Why do you need to get so close? If the enemy can engage you at 2-300m surely you can respond in kind?

-k

I find AI to be quite good when used right. Your own AI set on danger is lethal, slow but lethal, and is extremely cautious. In BE Warfare i killed hundreds of rambo players with a squad of 8 simple riflemen on danger.

Also use hold fire. One of the best attack i made was when attacking a town in a valley, i was on a hill breaking out form a treeline, my infantry on stealth and hold fire, moved up to the ridge so they had view of the enemy, then combat mode danger and fire at will, awesome.

Ontopic, always try to have solid objects or terrain between you and AI.

See what im trying to do is get in close enough to see the whole town, which means im about 1-200 meters from the closest enemy. And they still manage to see me. I experimented low crawling slowly and sure enough I made it into the town. I thought for sure there was a trigger of some kind that made them aware of my presence no matter what. And yes I am approaching from a grassy field but I though prone should still give you some kind of concealment..

And yeah I do use stealth and danger and hold fire. You have to obviously.

Another tip: Be aware of AI vehicles, enemy vehicles somehow have a better chance at spotting you while you are prone (Dont ask why, i cant explain, it just happens a lot during tests i have ran)