Sign in to follow this  
Dogmeat55

What is the point of BattlEye?

The last few days on Arma 2 OA,I have seen servers get hacked with or without BattleEye. it's really frustrating when you got a good game going on and someone pops in and hacks the server either by making the server go dark, have people start dancing, dropping 50 GBU bombs at once over a area. or the best one of them all carpet nuking with ICBM's.

So what is the point of this great battleye if it can't even stop hacking?:confused:

To help fight against cheating adolescents (or adults who act like adolescents, which tend to be their "leaders"...). ;)

Unfortunately, BattlEye's reach is only for external hacks I believe. The hacks in question are probably done using BIS' games' complex and flexible scripting. I wouldn't worry too much, these assholes tend to get bored in a few months and move on to the next new and shiny commodity. It's been the same way with all of BIS' games.

So what is the point of this great battleye if it can't even stop hacking?:confused:

You're new to online gaming right? Because all anti-cheat systems (PB, VAC etc.) are constantly having to react to new cheats and never offer 100% protection at any time. But congratulations to you for giving the griefers the satisfaction of reading your blubbing, they thrive on this sort of thread.

... they thrive on this sort of thread.

That's unfortunately very true. I'd imagine most of them are from the very pits of /b/...

Anyways, I guess since the discussion of hacking is breaking the rules here we should end by saying BattlEye nor any other anti-cheat program will ever be able to provide 100% protection against hacking, but do a pretty damn good job overall. ;)

Unfortunately BE can only reliably detect publicly released hacks. That doesn't mean nothing is being worked on right now though.

Also, the big problem with this game is that what you call "hacks" aren't actually hacks - it's functionality the game provides via scripting.

Just like the other games and thier protection systems they have to wait for a hack to come out to be able to protect it. There is always going to be a lag behind what the hackers put out .

Arma2 is a open system sand box game thats allows aalmost complete custom game. Therefore people are going to learn how to make addons that do strange stuff.

A watchfull admin is the best catch all , it dont take much to figure out who is hacking if you pay attention to the logs of the server and take steps.

Unfortunately BE can only reliably detect publicly released hacks. That doesn't mean nothing is being worked on right now though.

Also, the big problem with this game is that what you call "hacks" aren't actually hacks - it's functionality the game provides via scripting.

Well, they obviously do something to go past the signature system, and maybe BE should something about that?

No,I'm not new to online gaming been doing it for about 8 years now, I have just never seen a game hacked so badly.

No,I'm not new to online gaming been doing it for about 8 years now, I have just never seen a game hacked so badly.

You prob. havent seen a game with so many Quality, communtiy addons either, with that comes the hackers...... they will get bored eventually, they did with ofp,arma, etc... its only fun for them when we scream about it enough.. plus as the community gets smaller so their target audience is smaller and its not worth their valuable :) time and effort.

Edited by Taxman

Arma2 is a open system sand box game thats allows aalmost complete custom game.

As said, this game allows almost anything.

Well, they obviously do something to go past the signature system, and maybe BE should something about that?

This.

It should be possible for the server admin to specify what modules are permissible, and any attempt to break the game to run other modules should be considered cheating and result in a permanent ban.

It should be possible for the server admin to specify what modules are permissible, and any attempt to break the game to run other modules should be considered cheating and result in a permanent ban.

Genius! How was this not thought of already?

This.

hmm dont seem to work , setting sigs to allow only certain addons fail. even allowing no addons fail.

Locks only keep out honest people. There's no stopping snakes and thieves :S

As sad as it is, Jack hit the nail on the head, out my groups servers 2 of 3 are locked