Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

Selection issues 'broken' arms, out of ideas.

Snake man and I have been messing around this guy for weeks:

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/test_ranger_update_08-11-10.rar

(the soldier mlod)

c5dpJ.jpg

more pics can be found below

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/tactical/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=22325

selections look identical to A2 and A1 sample models, edges are joined, we are out of ideas.

:(

does anyone have any clue what is wrong? feel free to take a look at the mlods and/plus upload a fixed version , please tell us what you did, and what went wrong.

cheers

Its not a weighting issue as such, although some of the selections seemed to be very heavily weighted. I selected LeftArm which had about 4 different selections at 100 weight for it. That said I believe the proportion of weight distrabution is as important so it may well be fine.

Anyway, the points that are not animating have just been missed when you added areas to a selection. I have taken the liberty of highlighting the points on you model that need adding to their relevant selections, in the selections panal there will be an "ERROR POINTS" selection, click that and it should show you all the points in need of attention.

Once done you can probably just copy the torso back onto your model.

Linky

:)

EDIT: Also, in reply to a point in the PMC post, "the thing" affect isn't really caused by dodgey weighting, its more caused by your model being a different size to the BISkeleton or having an iffy model.cfg. Some of the wieghting I have done in the past has been very off and the effect was nowhere near as extreme as "the thing". Although dodgey weighting will ofcourse distort parts of the body (mainly limbs) if done poorly.

EDIT2: again, in reply to the PMC post. To add the points to, lets says, LeftArm, you can select "ERROR POINTS" and then "LeftArm" while holding ctrl to select both, then you can deselect the points you dont want added (near the neck and right arm) by pressing V to enter select vertices mode and holding both ctrl and shift at the same time. This should leave the area LeftArm still selected as well as the extra points you wanted to add to it. Then just redefine the LeftArm selection.

The downside to this method is AFAIK it adds 100% weight to the points you are adding, that probably won't make a difference but it could cause a slight distortion. The other method is to go to "edit modes" and select "paint vertices" where, as the name suggests you can paint on the weight of each point, this can be VERY time consuming to do properly though.

Edited by STALKERGB

thanks mate, I"ll take a look at it in a few and report back.

Hey!

I've been having some similar problems with arms when tried to port Arma1 mlods, only in my case the lower arm was screwed up. It was solved when I packed the addon with BinPBO unbinarized. Not a finalized solution, but temporarily try to pack the addon unbinarized first and see if it's right.

Hey Nice model dude , i can see the tactical bearing vest xD

good luck dude , im making the green berets , the special forces from the 90s with DCUs and BDUs , but im having alot of problems to lol

Good luck dont surrender :) " snake " i supose

I have a question concerning this too, but dont wanna open a new thread since it is related.

If i wanna use an OPF model p3d, the geometry is usually posed with the arms being closer to the body.

In order to get the arm part animations being played correctly,

would it be advisable to adapt the geometry so it lines up with the Memory LOD points or is it safe to move the Memory LOD points into position where they fit the OFP geometry?

It is of course easier to simply move the Memory Points, just wanna make sure that that would not be a part of model distortion.

I am aware of the need for redefining selections later to fit the Arma2 skeleton requirements.

I noticed that the arms are being shown cutting through the torso when i move the Memory LOD points

closer to the body. Maybe i really need to change the geometry LOD then ???

EDIT: Okay i rotated the arm geometry in the geo lod in place to match the released BIS Memory LOD

and the animations are okay now. Guess that´s the way to go then.

Thanks,

Charon

Edited by Charon Productions