What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Hey JH, regarding installation of the new optional sounds, do I just move them from the Optional folder to the Addons folder if I want to use them?

Hey JH, regarding installation of the new optional sounds, do I just move them from the Optional folder to the Addons folder if I want to use them?

How else? :p Just overwrite the existing ones and you'r good to go! But I change them from time to time. The PKM already changed since I had some camnoises in the Blastzone.

Thanks very much Old Bear!

Edited by LordJarhead

Brilliant update.

Just spent some houres, and the changes you made is awesome.

Thanks.

thanks for the update LJ. I tried the optional sounds, to be honest I like the current one more, not the optional one. Just wanted to let you know that if you decide to update later on, I hope the optional sound will be kept optional.

Thanks again :)

From what I have tested so far I feel this is the best soundmod for ArmA. Thank you for all the hard work! :bounce3:

I have a suggestion for a new sound implementation : could you add a new sound for bmp commander's turret, stryker and humvee crows turret sound rotation.

It still the original arma 2 version for these vehicle, which seems so loudy, it tires the hears.

bmp and CROWS turret would need to sound like a very silenced electrical system.

maybe something like a lowered sound volume of the LAV25 gunner turret sound.

Edited by cychou

Thanks for update. Sounds great.

Didnt hear bullet cracks from my own weapons but might be latest beta.

LJ,

Was this fix added to the 1.4.2 release, or do we need to change ourselves?

GossamerSolid M134 fix

What is the sound while riding inside a HMMWV cross country? Sounded like drums, or a tracked vehicle??? Very odd. I thought maybe it was supposed to represent the antenna hitting tree branches, but there were no trees around...

Edited by panther42

im getting Faliure on the sigs.

had this in 1.4.1 too..

740524ca525bd0b4df20abc0a6282d87.jpg

Starting the game with

-checkSignatures -mod=@CBA;@JSRS1.4

but im able to play on V2 enabled server even tho the signature test fails. kinda odd

LJ,

Was this fix added to the 1.4.2 release, or do we need to change ourselves?

GossamerSolid M134 fix

What is the sound while riding inside a HMMWV cross country? Sounded like drums, or a tracked vehicle??? Very odd. I thought maybe it was supposed to represent the antenna hitting tree branches, but there were no trees around...

No the Fix was added in the patch :j: Do you mean the sound of crossing meadows and driving ofroad? This is BIS sound!

im getting Faliure on the sigs.

had this in 1.4.1 too..

740524ca525bd0b4df20abc0a6282d87.jpg

Starting the game with

-checkSignatures -mod=@CBA;@JSRS1.4

but im able to play on V2 enabled server even tho the signature test fails. kinda odd

Dont know about that, really strange. Tested JSRS in MP my self for testing purpose, never such an error. Must be something wrong with your installation of JSRS or even the serverkey. Anyone else have this error?

Jarhead

I got this failure!

But i know the problem.

You must not start a Soundmod on your server. Its absolutly unnecessary!

The only thing you have to do, is to add the bikey file in the keys folder.

Soundmods are, as far as i know, always clientside only!

I hope i could help you. ;D

Got a sniper_1_far error. Should all be installed correctly. This is the only problem I have seen.

Got a sniper_1_far error. Should all be installed correctly. This is the only problem I have seen.

Yes, confirmed! Saw it just now. Thanks alot, will update and make an hotfix soon!

Jarhead

LJ - I've got a question for you and wanted to see what you think.

Seeing as JSRS is on SU and because of the nature of SU (being able to update mods with minimal hassle), I was thinking you could use SU to test new versions with the optional sounds before they become canon.

For example: Make a 1.4.3 version on SU only with the optional sounds as standard and see what the user base think of the changes. If anyone feels strongly enough, they can post in here with their feelings on the matter. You can then get the general concensus and adjust which sounds are default accordingly.

It would be using SU for what it's good at (making changes to mods easily with minimal hassle to the end user) and you would get more feedback on what people think. Personally, I don't really mess around with optional stuff (not enough time or inclination to test them, but if it was forced on me in a test update, then I'd get to check them out. (Just my mantra there).

Then if changes are required, you can release an official 1.4.4 on all channels (direct download/Armaholic etc)

The only downside I can see is that non-SU users wouldn't have an opinion on the matter, but then why would they not want to install SU? It's easy and hassle free. Plus, you can get advance warning of any errors before an official release.

No disrespect to your current beta testers, but they managed to miss the problem where objects were created but not deleted, which was a pretty major issue (and oversight not to notice it on their part). Maybe they were too overwhelmed by the awesomeness of JSRS to spot it :D - Anyway, glad that's fixed now in the new version, performance is much better BTW.

Just some food for thought.

No disrespect to your current beta testers, but they managed to miss the problem where objects were created but not deleted, which was a pretty major issue (and oversight not to notice it on their part).

Thats not right. Nobody has ever reported here an memory leak! This is so because it has never noticed anyone.

This was reported from people who have a look at the script and had seen this theoretical problem. (this CAN appear but never is appear for a user who have make a notice of it)

After it is fixed everyone comes and say: "hey, great to hear! That's so fine!" - i think that's realy funny.

What i will say is that this was an minor problem not an major problem. :rolleyes:

Do not compare this bug with a framedrop while a firefight is going on... apple and pears!

regards

Fair enough but it was dropping the frame rate when I was on SP and connecting to our server and I've read some posts on DH or here (can't remember) about the issue.

I didn't notice during a firefight, more after a period of time. There's lot's of mods running on my A2 at any given time so I couldn't isolate. Apples and pears indeed.

Anyway - I know you're the guy who coded it and it wasn't a personal atrack so no worries. It's good work. Still don't want to stray far from the original question though and get sidetracked.

I got this failure!

But i know the problem.

I hope i could help you. ;D

that was not much help at all.

i was not talking about a server. its my client the error is on.

LordJarhead dont see how this is related to the serverkey.

this error is on startup of arma2 with -Checksignatures enabled.

can you post the md5 sums of the archives.

J.S.R.S. Soundmod

J.S.R.S. Soundmod Patch #1

J.S.R.S. Soundmod Patch #2

so i can verify that my downloades are not corrupt

If you want to be a beta tester, feel free to contact Dennis privately and talk with him if that is your wish. I've been sick lately and unable to give it the beta testing treatment. However, if you mean post WIP on SU for the community to say "I like this sound or I don't like it, it kinda sucks here's a video on how I think it should sound"--then don't bother.

At the end of the day--much like many content makers around here--they do it for themselves. They put a lot of themselves into their work and at some point decide it would be nice to extend out and share with the community. That doesn't mean it stop's being theirs or they stop making it for themselves. They do us the favor of sharing. Unfortunately, we have a habit of taking others projects and force their makers into a never-ending work loop of fixing the same things over and over and over and over again because at some point, someone doesn't like it and thinks it should be different.

And more to the point....letting the community to decide what goes into LJ's own project? I don't know about any of you here, but I'd feel pretty rude to the man knowing all the heart and soul he's put into his own project by saying when he makes something he's proud and happy with--"meh, nah...not 'feeling it'. Here's a YT video, make that instead". Know what I mean? He's doing this for himself and while we can freely give our criticisms and praise, we should not forget that at the end of the day, nor should we feel we have any place to think we should be given the position of telling an addon maker if we approve of any of their content and should OK any of it prior to release.

I might sound harsh, and maybe so. But I know Dennis personally and is a close friend. I know and see the bigger picture of just how much he has put into his project, and because of that may grow a bit defensive. All of which I make no apologies for. I don't want to see the community end up turning him into THEIR employee (for lack of a better term at the moment) that needs the community's "OK" of any content prior to release. I'm not necessarily saying that is the intent of anyone here, don't get me wrong. But there are times when it does happen and sure as hell wouldn't want to see him put at risk of it eventually happening to him. :(

Again, if this is about wanting to aid in bug hunting as a beta tester--that's one thing. More power to you mate and anyone else. I know I slipped up due to poor health as of late, so can't help but feel responsible for the bugs and feel bad about it. :o

I totally get what you're saying and didn't want to come across as demanding that "this should be the way" or "THIS IS MY OPINION AND IT MATTERS" etc.

I just thought it might be using SU in a positive way. From what I saw in LJ's release, he mentioned the optional sounds and I thought it might be a nice way of exposing them to the user base with minimal hassle.

I do a bit of modding myself and understand that trying to sort out stuff can involve hours of staring at configs and rpt output, trawling through the Editing forum or DH, and endless reloading of the game to test changes. I would not want to demand this of any one else, but if I do see a problem, I only want to report it so that the maker can use it to their benefit.

I do remember reading one of LJ's posts a while ago, that he felt that he was running around after every one else, while they posted very subjective comments about the sounds. I wouldn't want to stoke him (or you guys too) by doing the same thing.

I didn't want to put anyone's nose out of joint by posting previously, but the way I came across may have seemed dismissive of everyones efforts. If it did, I want you all to know that was not the case. I appreciate being given this stuff for free and was trying to contribute, but maybe I put it badly.

I doubt DA's post was to slate the beta testers - this mod is an incredible achievement and a credit to all of you. However there is some milegae to be gained by releasing a JSRSbeta on Six Updater as this would widen the net with regards to error trapping. If you have some sounds you wish to try out, then slap them in the beta version and people can choose to run with JSRS or JSRSbeta if they wish to contribute to the testing (in much the same way as the official betas).

The mod has become very complex and I imagine it's getting more and more difficult to test it internally.

Love the new update! One thing I've found is that the Russian GP-25 launcher has a special shooting sound compared to the M203 shooting sound. it is that something has gone wrong in the compression of audio file. I may be wrong, however,