What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

I'm far too lazy for that mate :D So I eat it cold! I'm a men!^^

Jarhead

Third: I have to find a good way, a compromise between this powerfull sound and the right dosage of a thirdperson sound for the guy right next to me. So as always and in MOST or even ALL soundmods, the weapons sounds like thirdperson shooting. Now, with the distancescript, I might be able to get around that big problem.

This is why I enjoy your current work and look forward to your new update when it's released. Finding the balance is key, in large part because that's how it is in real life. If I sit behind my AR and shoot it, it's loud-ish, but comfortable. When stand next to it if someone else is shooting it, it's a little more painful and I feel it more.

To me, this seems exactly like what you're going for. Thanks for the continued effort and I look forward to your work.

I dont know if this is ACE or even normal base content. But while shooting your own gun is not as loud as the weapon of the guy 10 meters away from me. So, like in reallife a bit. On the range, I was always surprised when my colleague had fired his gun at my side. Much louder. It is also about the position, how to stand. If you stand next to him, it's loud. Behind it, not so loud. In front of him. extremely loud!

Jarhead

Edited by LordJarhead

It is also about the position, how to stand. If you stand next to him, it's loud. Behind it, not so loud. In front of him. extremely loud!
Its true the sound engine doesn't consider anything too much in close proximity like it deals with far distance and behind hills and far trees etc with vehicles & explosions. Even panning your head movement the FP gun being fired doest change even slightly opposite to where your tilting your head even if you look as far behind as you can :)

Theres a thread in the Arma3 section ref requests, dont know if you have posted already JH, but its worthy input of your findings and wants/sound engine requests.

Hmm, I guess theres already alot of requests in this thread about an high dynamic audio range engine. If BIS is even able to archive something like that with this old engine, since they just using the VR again... I might guess they will not take care about audio as they really should take care of!!!

Apart from that, I'm too old to be begging for correctness by others. Now BF3 is everywhere, so even BIS is not able to ignore the awesomeness of the Audio-part. And this is even possible because of the base engine Frostbite2.0, and BIS would not be able to get such an basement for theire projects Im afraid. Sadly, then just imagine the possibilities we would have!

But, if Arma3 would sounds like BF3, I would become workless. So let they just mess it up :D I'm ready :P

Even mentioning BF3 in ArmA3 threads will cause a flamewar. Apparently for some people in the ArmA community everything that sounds good is 'hollywood crap'.

Fortunately we have modders like you LJ, keep up the good work.

Apparently for some people in the ArmA community everything that sounds good is 'hollywood crap'.
I think its perspective, those that think it should sound "good" more often than not like (or are used too) over processed action sound palette that those games cater for and is tagged as "hollywood" .. polished and processed as they use same sound teams and post processing engine techniques to get that hollywood film studio effect (plus they have that kind of budget).

The argument or debate (from sim/arma folk) is that stood with the weapons in a real fire fight doest sound like that and the balance to be not as weak as BIS vanilla but source more weight to it without tipping over into Hollywood sound studio polish, sourced and as close to realism as you can get without being weak and not being glossy and action packed.

Of which I think Jarhead is managing to balance up very well despite some audio engine limitations.

So you mentioning good in Arma/sim community terms = hollywood crap suggests you prefer that processed studio polish as that's your basis for "good". Seeing as you like what Jarhead is doing and so do alot of Arma users then thats proof we are getting a balance and no "pandering to either end of the spectrum".

And I have a feeling that becuase of this and other mods BIS are taking steps to up the game for Arma3 going by the list of current things we know they are trying to achieve.

Flaming only comes when someone posts direct comparisons and says "it should be just like this *add game name*" or a blanket comment of "why isn't it like this *game name*" with no balanced view of it. Also Jarhead unless im wrong was speaking of the engine (handling of audio with spacial usage etc etc) not all about the raw sound source.

Edited by mrcash2009

Yah I know what you mean, and I agree with both of you! But its like I said some times back:

Very expensive engines, the equipment, the studio costs, all this is to archive some awesome sound we would like to hear. But what do we hear? We hear perfect, high-quality studio work. We hear something that reminds us of war, guns, grenades, explosions. But we hear no war, no guns, no explosions. These are audio recordings! Perfectly placed on sound basis through expensive studio work. It is an expensive, high-quality studio work. This has nothing to do with war. It tries to leave the impression that we would hear a gun or fire a weapon. But something like this does not fit into a simulation. Let's be honest. Arma has to sound dirty. It must give the impression that the sounds themselves are drawn from the war.

Ok, apart from that, BF3 has the most realistic sound I ever heard and noone can say, this is hollywood crap. Sure, some stuff is just hollywood. But only the distancesounds... argh, thats awesome.

But I do not want just a perfect studio work in Arma. I just want to provide this impression of sounds on my way. You should realize what's happening! You should recognize it and know what is being fired. You should realize when the bullets fly around your ears!

The Battlefield sounds are a class by itself. They are in Battlefield and should remain there. Never try to compare Arma with such an fast and irrelevant game like BF3, which is getting more and more to an COD if you ask me^^

If Arma 3 will have some extra's around the sound, I might be happy about that. But even if not, I would come up with something, a Soundmod or so. Would be no problem if they would just let it like it is. If its getting bigger and bigger, the work would become bigger, would take more time, time we might not have then. Also its getting more complicated. If Bohemia is betting that Arma 3 has a great sound and expensive work, then the guys will come up with a good way to protect it from alienation! It could be that the simple replacement of PBO files would not be enough and they begin to work with new types of archives. Archive we might be not able to handle...

Just think about that.

Jarhead

Edited by LordJarhead

The day they do that, would be the day ARMA dies.

Thankfully BIS aren't a bunch of mongs so I have faith that it'll never come to that.

Hi !

I use the version 1.32 FULL.

At the first time i actually load the game (editor) i get a error when a USMC towing tractor is placed on the map:

No Entry USMC-towing-truck echo...

Mhh, i dont know...will take a screenshot next time for a complete error description.

But this error only is there the first time i load a island, then it works fine.

Ok, apart from that, BF3 has the most realistic sound I ever heard and noone can say, this is hollywood crap.

Devs themselves said they were using animals to record sounds of weapons and vehicles (f.e. Abrams engine is lion roaring) so the sound of BF3 has nothing to do with reality.

Devs themselves said they were using animals to record sounds of weapons and vehicles (f.e. Abrams engine is lion roaring) so the sound of BF3 has nothing to do with reality.

Ha.... haha.... HAHAHAHAHA... you serious?

My post was referring to the firefights, distance weaponsounds, explosions, overallvolume matchings. And I hardly believe that animal stuff :D

Nevermind, as said, Arma will never sound like that, and it dont have to!

Yah, TowingTruck has an wrong entry in the config!

Jarhead

That's the life of professional sound editing, that animal stuff. Does not at all mean that animal sound = tank sound, and I'm a bit amazed that people still make that assumption.

I don't know if they used cooking pans and mouse squeeks to generate the planes cannon sound or littlebirds minigun sound, and I really don't care how they are made (okay, not true given my background, but hey :)), as long as the end result is good. Compare that to our Gau-8 or Minigun sound.

Which one is better? Vanilla Arma or Vanilla BF? Which game needs a mod and which game is pretty good without (knowing that you can't reach all camps)?

Ha.... haha.... HAHAHAHAHA... you serious?

My post was referring to the firefights, distance weaponsounds, explosions, overallvolume matchings. And I hardly believe that animal stuff :D

Nevermind, as said, Arma will never sound like that, and it dont have to!

Yah, TowingTruck has an wrong entry in the config!

Jarhead

Yeah, he is serious ^^

Many Sounds in BF are not real at all, they just sound real

Which one is better? Vanilla Arma or Vanilla BF? Which game needs a mod and which game is pretty good without (knowing that you can't reach all camps)?

BF3 can do with some soundmods as well. I absolutely hate how softly weapons sound there.

Especially M4s which sound all pop pop ploink ploink

BF3 can do with some soundmods as well. I absolutely hate how softly weapons sound there.

Especially M4s which sound all pop pop ploink ploink

Yeah, it reminds me of shuffling a deck of cards.

I find sounds in this mod, and those in RWS have really realistic weapon sounds, but battlefield 3 deffinitly had better distant sounds, that distant popping sound, explosions etc. It all comes down to the sound engine.

With a sound engine as capable as BF3's, arma 3 along with JSRS would be amazing.

that distant popping sound, explosions etc.

That´s the Reason why i´m still playing with Blastcore SM Beta from time to time. I love this distance Firefight Sounds. Great Atmosphere. :thumb:

That´s the Reason why i´m still playing with Blastcore SM Beta from time to time. I love this distance Firefight Sounds. Great Atmosphere. :thumb:

Thatswhy I'm using it in JSRS 1.4... but not the basic of Blastcore... I reworked it just a bit and added more sounds and entries. So its two times bigger than in Blastcore...

Jarhead

Thatswhy I'm using it in JSRS 1.4... but not the basic of Blastcore... I reworked it just a bit and added more sounds and entries. So its two times bigger than in Blastcore...

Jarhead

Heard it in some of the Beta-Vids, and sounds overall very good. Looking forward to the finished Work. :)