What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

"The two employees Martin and Ivan from Bohemia Interactive have now been released on bail in Greece."

That's great news! :D

Much as I love JSRS, we can confirm that the new version is causing some considerable FPS loss over the course of a 2 - 3 hour mission. With 30 odd players and a fairly 'normal' amount of AI (no more than 150 over the course of the mission), we have been experiencing FPS drops from a norm of 40 to as low as 7 on some clients. It gets particularly bad during large fire fights. FWIW, server FPS is stable at 35+. This was not an issue with the previous version of JSRS.

We use ACE, ACRE, all UKF mods and some other unit mods. We're currently running various tests trying to correlate whether the performance impact has anything to do with people using onboard sound cards or whether it is something else we have running.

As your server is not running JSRS 1.5 and the clients only get this drop, ask them to dis- and reconnect to the server. Maybe even restart Arma completely, rejoin the game and see if the FPS rate went back to normal or stays that low. If its that low still, I wouldn't say its JSRS. If the FPS rate went back to normal, it could mean that JSRS is leaking memory somehow, which I cant believe. But please ask those clients to do that and see if there is any difference from before the disconnection and the reconnection.

LJ

Downloaded it...

Liked a lot of the new sounds like the L85 (not really a fan of the iron sound every time you shoot , but the base sound is awesome), the m16 ( new M16 sound is amazing ), PKM, MK17, the BAF LMG, etc. Ambient sounds are pretty good.

Really disliked some of the new sounds though, like the G36 or the M4A1 :( thought the 1.4 version of M4 was a lot better.

Hmm not really sure if this has been spoken of (600 odd pages, aint reading through that! :D), but Im really not liking the new radio sounds at all, is there any way I can go back to the old radio sounds? The new ones dont even sound like their coming from the radio, just a weird clicky sound then it just sounds like normal speaking rather than the static sound of the radio.

Hmm not really sure if this has been spoken of (600 odd pages, aint reading through that! :D), but Im really not liking the new radio sounds at all, is there any way I can go back to the old radio sounds? The new ones dont even sound like their coming from the radio, just a weird clicky sound then it just sounds like normal speaking rather than the static sound of the radio.

I also raised that question up about 30 pages back, it really is a odd sound, not really a radio sound, but I have grown use to it compared to default. But if you wish to edit it, can do it via;

In JSRS 1.4 find the file called "jsrs_radio_chatter.pbo" and put it in the 1.5 folder.

About the radio's--different radios have different "style" sounds/clicks, from what I've observed. I've watched numerous shows on the Military Channel, Estonian training videos, Firefight videos, etc. I've never once heard a single universal and identical "radio sound" across the board. Perhaps those who have served and operated radios or have expertise can chime in as to why that is and the technicalities behind it (is it just a company thing, a technical thing, or what?), but aside from that it was a new experimental sound LJ put together and has grown fond of. Some will like them, others will feel so-so and others will outright hate them.

And as we see from incoming posts, the same is said for the weapons. Some will like everything, others will like some stuff and others will prefer another soundmod. This raises the same point the JSRS team (yes, folks...an actual team, before we get another childish snap-back to what I am about to say....) has stated numerous times...

It is difficult to please every single person and their personal preferences and how they personally define what and how things should sound.

If you hate certain sounds, that's cool. There are optional sounds we've enclosed in the 1.5 release. If some like the older 1.4 sounds for certain things, perhaps (LJ, please correct me if I am wrong, as it's late and I'm half-asleep typing this, lol) I believe you can just drop the sound pbo's in--not the .cfg though!--and use them. Not sure on the radio clicks, but you can disable the pbo all together if its that much of a burden. An official 1.4 clicks replacement might be possible at some point in the future, but can't say for sure. LJ's tackling ACR content atm.

Please don't expect constant complaints to result in us going back and having another GB of weapon sounds released, lol. Not happening.... unless you pay me $1,000 USD, then I can persuade LJ. :p

Even if it was done, then there will only be more posts from people who felt certain weapons sounded wrong and want new sounds, resulting in an never-ending loop of creating sounds over and over again. This is just a friendly post to keep in mind--not aimed at anyone specific--before anymore posts come our way of "I like these sounds, but not these sounds. I want you to make me new sounds for these since I don't like them....".

Hmm, no reports, neither from my side, so no fix. Maybe more will notice something but I cant.

I've actually noticed some stuttering with use of the sound mod, but the game is still playable.. its more like micro stuttering.

"The two employees Martin and Ivan from Bohemia Interactive have now been released on bail in Greece."

I wish you two, Martin and Ivan all the best! For you, your families and friends! May this get over really fast so you can start to live your life's again!

I wish you all the best for the future, mates!

Thank you!

LordJarhead

Awesome, now BI team can recover and carry on with A3 and other releases. Thanks for bringing this one up LJ, I would've missed it :D

Awesome, now BI team can recover and carry on with A3 and other releases. Thanks for bringing this one up LJ, I would've missed it :D

I don't believe they should just go back to work, they deserve to be with their family... as they are still in a lot of deep water, once the judges get off strike.

I hope the best to them.

I don't believe they should just go back to work, they deserve to be with their family... as they are still in a lot of deep water, once the judges get off strike.

I hope the best to them.

Ivan and Martin, yes, they deserve their time off with their families. This news must be a huge relief for BI generally, that's what I meant :)

Greek is kinda upside down atm and I dont know how lonv this will stay that way. Germany and the EU are really hard with their new rules and I fully understand that the people strike.If someone takes all your money away and tells you to work another 12 year before you can be retired, that must sucks so hard. Well they had a good life, now they gotta pay for it obviously. Its all that Bureaucracy that destroys everything slowly in the EU. The biggest mistake to even invent that shit.... my opinion though, sry.

Well I was trying to upload the ACR video yesterday but it took me 5 hours to even upload half of it so I canceled. Will see to it to get that stuff done by today ;)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Ouch, this topic shouldn't be discussed still LJ, check the global thread notices, they are updated :p

About videos, since this is a sound mod demonstration, compress the video (can be crappy quality I don't care) and add quality audio in it from the original so that you have not too clear looking vid but clear sounding one. I used to do this with Nero Vision, you can find many free tools though on how to extract audio from video, compress the video and then add the audio (assuming you muted the one from the compressed vid) so this way you don't need to wait hours, rather minutes to upload.

LJ how to change the grenade explosions which files and configs are responsible for them, I know that they are in the jsrs_eksplosions ,in jsrs 1.4 they were in a folder Grenada . but in this version jsrs 1.5 it is not.

LJ how to change the grenade explosions which files and configs are responsible for them, I know that they are in the jsrs_eksplosions ,in jsrs 1.4 they were in a folder Grenada . but in this version jsrs 1.5 it is not.

No, the explosion were always located in the explosions.pbo. You can delete the jsrs_explosions_c.pbo to disable the explosions ;)

@Maven: Yah I know. I convert my videos with Sony Vegas where I also edit them. The problem is not the file size, the upload was just slow yesterday. Usually those file sizes are not a problem, but yesterday it was just strange.

I will see to it that I get this done and maybe just release it like that without any video stuff^^

LJ

No, the explosion were always located in the explosions.pbo. You can delete the jsrs_explosions_c.pbo to disable the explosions ;)

@Maven: Yah I know. I convert my videos with Sony Vegas where I also edit them. The problem is not the file size, the upload was just slow yesterday. Usually those file sizes are not a problem, but yesterday it was just strange.

I will see to it that I get this done and maybe just release it like that without any video stuff^^

LJ

I want to return hand grenade explosions of 1.4, but how?

Edited by Andy Mcnab

I want to return hand grenade explosions of 1.4, but how?

There's no way to do that.

LJ

PS: Just discovered that I rendered the video in the wrong format. It was over 1.35 GB big^^ No wonder it took so long^^

Edited by LordJarhead

I'm a bit lost. What do I have to do to allow this mod on a server optional??

You just need to put the jsrs15_v2.bikey from the Server Key folder in JSRS into your Key's folder to allow the mod. Dont run the mod on the server, just allow the key.

LJ

LJ, I think you can add optional comms start and end + bg noise for next patch. Actually, if you guys want I can design many types relatively quickly as I already designed a lot of them for my missions (Sweepers, MVD) from scratch (in sonar and audacity, retouch in fl) and didn't use any recordings. I also did a deeper research on those.

Tonci. That one is so called Radiolla by it's street name (from Radio + Motorola) and is most common and still very much used in poorly developed countries as well as among militants in mid east. Today's military uses quick and crisp comms as technology improved.

Fact: Comms used to have artificial start and end sounds, but as newer comms were developed and better microphones/filters were used, comms no longer need to use artificial in and out effects as the filter that picks sound (from both main and noise cancellation one) makes them automatically and dynamically, thus the new comms in 1.5 are realistic and up to date, I really like them, besides do you really want to bleep in middle of battlefield with enemies all around you listening? The reason why some people may dislike them because real war is not fun, thus real gadgetry is not fun either, with A2 being a game and JSRS trying to improve real combat simulation there's huge difference.

The artificially made comm in and outs are still widely used among police though, except with small variations. Can't remember the name of the model, but had a chance to test a newer police radio recently (when I was working on MVD Mission pack missions) those had 2 simple sounds in comm's, a beep and a click, very fast and simple. What surpised me was the superb quality they produced, a mix between depth, bass, clarity, range and pure 4bit 10khz emulation.

And yes, I'm glad 1.5 didn't use those (from the video)

Ok, here we go finally, the video made it:

All sounds are still WIP of course ;)

LJ

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

LJ, I think you can add optional comms start and end + bg noise for next patch. Actually, if you guys want I can design many types relatively quickly as I already designed a lot of them for my missions (Sweepers, MVD) from scratch (in sonar and audacity, retouch in fl) and didn't use any recordings. I also did a deeper research on those.

Tonci. That one is so called Radiolla by it's street name (from Radio + Motorola) and is most common and still very much used in poorly developed countries as well as among militants in mid east. Today's military uses quick and crisp comms as technology improved.

Fact: Comms used to have artificial start and end sounds, but as newer comms were developed and better microphones/filters were used, comms no longer need to use artificial in and out effects as the filter that picks sound (from both main and noise cancellation one) makes them automatically and dynamically, thus the new comms in 1.5 are realistic and up to date, I really like them, besides do you really want to bleep in middle of battlefield with enemies all around you listening? The reason why some people may dislike them because real war is not fun, thus real gadgetry is not fun either, with A2 being a game and JSRS trying to improve real combat simulation there's huge difference.

The artificially made comm in and outs are still widely used among police though, except with small variations. Can't remember the name of the model, but had a chance to test a newer police radio recently (when I was working on MVD Mission pack missions) those had 2 simple sounds in comm's, a beep and a click, very fast and simple. What surpised me was the superb quality they produced, a mix between depth, bass, clarity, range and pure 4bit 10khz emulation.

And yes, I'm glad 1.5 didn't use those (from the video)

I wont add new sounds as optional content. All I can see here is whining about this really little detail. I cant even notice them when being surrounded by thousands of other sounds and all I can see here is making me to work more and more and more. Those are the sounds you get, I like them, my team likes them and I think they are good the way they are. I just CANT please everyone here, so I will focus on my own taste. And thats what I want to hear in game. Sry, but please understand this and see this whole topic from my view. I have already enough to do with ACR and other projects, projects I WANT to take care about, those radio sounds are kinda trivial to me, seriously...

LJ

Maybe it was asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

I got CRC error for several files. Some of them sometimes decompress well, but some (eg. distance.pbo) throws error every time.

Tried two different sources to DL from, tried Winzip, winrar, 7z, TotalCommander: issue is the same.