Sign in to follow this  
$able

Explanation: Why does BattlEye need administrator privileges now?

Before people start complaining, I want to quickly explain why I decided to take this step.

Without the requirement for administrator privileges prior to this update it was easily possible to hide cheats/hacks by simply running them under a different user account or as administrator. Therefore it is necessary to give BattlEye full access, otherwise it can be prevented from functioning correctly by anyone. So this is an important step that I postponed as long as I could.

Keep in mind that the statements in the BE EULA are unaffected by this. Your privacy still is and will always be protected.

On a side note, to permanently run the game as administrator on systems with UAC enabled, so that you don't have to right-click on the shortcut/executable each time, simply right-click on it and choose Properties. Then go to the Compatibility tab, check the "Run this program as an administrator" option and click OK to apply your changes.

Steam users should do the same with their Steam shortcut/executable.

This is the message I get now when I try to start, from my "alef" user, "Run As ..." as Administrator, my ArmA 2 OA with BattlEye.

Windows XP SP3 here.

EDIT: My "alef" account is now in Administrators group. The problem it's fixed this way. I don't like it, but don't see any other solution after such decision.

Edited by alef

As much as I believe you the necessity of this change I don't like it at all. As from my point of view, running any user software as administrator is major security leak. I spent countless hours to finally set up my W7 installation to fulfil my paranoid demands and now I am almost at depression. :)

Either I can play with this constant unpleasant feeling of insecurity or don't play. Now that's the question.

I simply can't imagine running a game as a root, ehm. administrator. :j:

If the cheat is running as root, and the anti-cheat is running as simple user, don't you see the problem ? ;)

Quite logical to me, though I'd like to only run BE as root

You should consider releasing/installing BattlEye as a service, like Punkbuster does it. Problem solved.

You can still make it a DLL, maybe rundll.exe is your friend here. Just make the game register it upon installation/start and request elevated privileges only for THAT moment. Later you can drop it.

If the cheat is running as root, and the anti-cheat is running as simple user, don't you see the problem ? ;)

Of course I see the problem here and as I wrote I believe $able this change is necessary.

Therefore I like the service idea very much. I see no problem elevating privileges just for BE. Rather than running whole big, some times crashing, Arma2 as root. ;)

Great, that was an entertaining time to find out why BE suddenly demands administrator rights. And I hate it! What shall I do? Wasting more time to make another account only to play arma? Playing games as administrator? I dont care for cheats with root or not - I think it was a stupid change!

Find a better solution! Fast! =(

Please continue to do whatever is required for maximum protection.

:thumbsup: +2

Edited by walker

:thumbsup:+3

x2 (for our ArmA2 & OA servers):rthumb:

You should consider releasing/installing BattlEye as a service, like Punkbuster does it. Problem solved.

Personally I much rather set A2:OA to run with admin rights (easy to do and I do not see the problem) than have yet another service bloating the OS while not playing.

+1 to what Defunkt said!

/KC

I don't think PunkBuster "B" ask shit bout permissions. It does what it wants after you agree to it.

I don't think PunkBuster "B" ask shit bout permissions. It does what it wants after you agree to it.

Because it's running with full system privileges after it's installed.

Anyway, as I wrote in another thread, you can be sure that I am definitely looking into other solutions as well.

+999

If you have nothing to hide ( cheats wise ) you have nothing to complain about this feature.

I hope they also do what is required to have a smooth gaming experience. :D

Honestly I was looking at the BattlEye Homepage first to find that information/confirmation about the "administrator priviliges issue". Guess I´ll look here first next time. :-) As much as I understand why this change makes perfect sense and the error-message itself as well it seems some people don´t understand what´s happening at all.

During the past two days I´ve seen players trying to connect and being kicked endlessly (and it´s still going on). Either they ignore the message, they are blind or they simply don´t know what "run as admin" means or how to do it and are not aware of this post. It´s a bit of a luxury problem but this has caused significant more JIP-Activitiy leading to additional Lag/Timeouts on our server. Just did a quick search over our server_console.log for "Missing OS Privileges": 296 Hits in two days.

Some players knew what to do but at least were concerned about this change in behaviour. Of course we could sort that out, as you´re announcing such a change in your FAQ for the future.

I´m not a coder but maybe running BE as a service in the future gets the user out of the way in this process?

I have a small problem with ARMA2 as Administrator, I can't control my TrackIR anymore like "Center" the view with a hotkey :(

I tried to run 'TrackIR' as Administrator too, but that won't solve the problem :(

I tried to give the 'User' same rights as administrator to the BattlEye DLLs, not fixed :(

What is with 'Push to Talk' and Teamspeak...?

Anyone got ARMA2 with BattlEye + TrackIR running in full functionality (Win7)? :confused:

EDIT: SOLVED: Run TrackIR and Arma2 as admin works: my fault was: TrackIR as admin uses another profile so my hotkey went back to (default) F12.

Edited by Feldpost

i dont care, too. as long as you can get cheaters out of our mp games its fine. keep going

But you have to get sure that total computer noobs can make arma mp + be running.

So you need maybe a cooperation with bis in the next official patch that if arma running not as admin then something have to warn the ppl that maybe mp wont work.

funny english, hehe

but its not my language....

Edited by Pain0815

Would anyone be so good as to describe exactly how (when your user already has Admin rights) to launch Arma as Admin via steam?

Thanks in advance

Would anyone be so good as to describe exactly how (when your user already has Admin rights) to launch Arma as Admin via steam?

Thanks in advance

On a side note, to permanently run the game as administrator on systems with UAC enabled, so that you don't have to right-click on the shortcut/executable each time, simply right-click on it and choose Properties. Then go to the Compatibility tab, check the "Run this program as an administrator" option and click OK to apply your changes.

Steam users should do the same with their Steam shortcut/executable.

You can also do that for the game executable in your Steam installation.

This is worthy of the " Rant Of The Year" title, m8. Awesome :)

and incidentally showing to what extreme ArmA can put you on.

The worst post written this year

Nobody is going to help you if you can't learn to type like a normal human being. Throwing in over 9000 emoticons and

"TY>.PIN,,,, LEIk thus!sajd11one"

is not going to let anybody help you. Repost your message in the language known as "English"

i dont care, too. as long as you can get cheaters out of our mp games its fine. keep going

But you have to get sure that total computer noobs can make arma mp + be running.

Thats exactly the point of this stupid change - we see so much computer noobs that suddenly cant join the server and dont have enough knowledge to solve the admin problem by themselves.

Thanks that we now have to deal with that poor fellows!

At least this should have been communicated in a better way so the computer noobs get a chance to know whats going on. But arrogance rules, as always! Keep it going! :thumb:

Before people start complaining, I want to quickly explain why I decided to take this step.

Umm why the heck didn't you do it "THE RIGHT WAY" then?

"Right" would be the way PunkBuster did it (run anticheat as extra service) or take a look at Valve's VAC.

The problem ist: Since the game allows scripting, a malicious script exploiting the game engine could not only kill the user's profile but the whole windows installation.

(Ever heard of some nice Quake2-mod-viruses?)

Also: Running the game under administrator-account makes it using the wrong userprofile, etc.

As an IT professional I have to say: You're doing it wrong!

Just take a look at the competitors about how it's done better..

Regards,

Ripper