Sign in to follow this  
Hank Rearden

Missile/Gunfire related crash.

Before you start, I have read the stickies and am capable of providing a .rpt and minidump for my OA related issues. I am hoping however that the solution could be much simpler than that since it is a fairly identifiable issue.

I am getting a crash in ARMA 2: OA both with addons and pure vanilla launched with an empty mod line. This Crash manifests both in the main menu and in game. It is triggered by somebody shooting. I know that sounds wierd, but I can honestly fly over the game world at full graphics settings for 20 minutes but the moment a missile or gun is fired, there is a spontaneous CTD that doesn't seem to be adding anything to the .rpt (which is equally confusing).

My system specs are not the -best- but yesterday I was running the game in multiplayer on medium/high settings and can normally run the game on high unless there is incredibly intense (100+ player/AI activity) I am not convinced that system specs have much to do with the issue. Also, the first person who tries to tell me that I need a supercomputer to run a game that worked fine yesterday will be summarily castrated.

This particular issue seems to be directly related to the bullet/missile physics or the 'hit' effects. For example in the first mission of the campaign 'Welcome to T-Stan' it either crashes when the first helicopter is shot down or when the squad opens fire on the tarmac. Either or. When I made a custom mission in the editor to test it out, I was able to shoot 5 or 6 friendlies in the head, but the moment the rest of the platoon opened fire on me, the game crashed while I was still upright with 30+ bullet holes in me and blood all over my view. I have tried the game on the lowest settings, I have tried the game on the highest settings. I have tried blood, no blood. The only thing that seems to have an effect on whether it crashes or not is whether somebody is shooting.

Since this is such an obvious and integral part of the game, I was hoping you could suggest a possible reason/fix for the problem. It might be related to a default setting for the bullet physics or the tracer effect. Not sure, any input would be helpful.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 E6400

2GB RAM

ASUS P5B MOBO

NVIDIA 9800 GTX Card

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12158

Something like this. Going to try the full reinstall but if you have any idea why this might happen... it might help someone else.