Sign in to follow this  
breeze

Vertical Tqakeoffs Harriers

How do I get the AI to use the vertical takeoff from where ever I place them when placing Harriers?

Why is that the harrier is a vertical take off and landing plane that is what it does? They have never fixed that? Well whatever I can't believe that hasn't been addressed

I really wish I could figure out these mando airport scripts that would fix it

Actually, that's not ture. Fully loaded, the harrier is only capable of STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing). This is accurately modelled in game.

Take off's can be faked but having them fly after that's another problem.

just put a chopper directly over the harrier and name them harrier and chopper

thin in the init of one of the units put chopper hideobject true;harrier attachto[chopper]

attach the waypoint to the chopper and set to careless and limited..

it looks ok and doesn't sound too bad, however as the harrier isn't really flying when you use detach harrier in a waypoint it crashes.

Ok if I use the editor and pop down a home made runway will the planes work? because I remember when I used to play that was a real joke put hours and hours into making some hot shit airport only to find out its not going to function as one ever LOL I think there are ways to do it now but you have to be good at scripting.

I found this addon at armaholic called Mando Airfields and downloaded it unfortunately the example missions for it are from queens gambit which I do not have so I dont think theres anyway for me to view a mission from an island I dont have? its from an island .sara..

Anyways this addon allws you to add in vertical take offs to make your harriers look and work as they should and allows you to set in markers for regular takeoff and ladings to occur anywhere you want as long as the terrain is flat. I dont understand why this isn't a hugely popular addon with all of the capabilities this offers. Unless in my absence there is something better that allows the same thing.

Anyways do any of you have this or have used it?

Well with the code I posted it's really on for looks as it's the chopper doing the flying, I haven't found a way to successfully release the harrier from the chopper without the plane crashing.

I never tried the addon as I've never found the link even after doing a search.

F2k Sel can I send you the file I am having a hard time finding it again myself.

Maybe you will understand the read mes and such alot better then I do.

Its less than a meg just script files

Never mind I just found it

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1438

it was really called scripted landings and takeoffs by mando the file itself was called mando airports

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=70;t=63939

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=29300.0

Edited by Breeze

we must have just missed each other lol you got all three links now one fro download and two research links I personally think if these can woork in Arma 2 and OA they are huge for mission makers.

Cheers I'll take a look but it may take a while.

If you want to get a plane to take-off/land at a specific place then you can use capture/play functions.

I dont know what any of that is?? I really try to take example missions and implement them into things until I get the hang of the syntaxes when I look stuff up

I've taken a look at the takeoff and landing part of mandos script.

Take off looks like it's using velocity with particle effects (those don't work now and need to be replaced with new) , I'm still looking to see how he gets it to fly after that.

I havent seen it Land as yet as it keeps crashing into the hills as the waypoints are wrong.

I did try changing to the desert but it would display anything.

If you want to play with it try this. I've placed some units around different locations you can switch to them by using the t key. I didn't see any action at those locations.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5e2tk

Ok what about this unit capture / play thing I read some of it why cant I get an F35 to do a vertical takeoff with the AI do I need some command for the vertical take off I should be able to put that aircraft anywhere and have it work?

Yeah but I want AI to be able to do it. cant i set the AI to do it.

auto hover has never worked for the AI, at least in ARMA2.

Ok what about this unit capture / play thing I read some of it why cant I get an F35 to do a vertical takeoff with the AI do I need some command for the vertical take off I should be able to put that aircraft anywhere and have it work?

Because there is no command to simply have the AI engage autohover and take-off vertically. So you have to make a decision, use setVelocity or prerecorded move, or just forget about it.

Big Dawg Im not opposed to using anything, I would gladly use the setvelocity I just need to know how to do it.

While I am talking to some people that actually know about this can anyone tell me or do you know what goes into making a FUNCTIONAL runway in the editor.

What I mean is I want to be able to lay one down where ever I want with my own custom buildings and have it work I remember back when I used to play we could lay one down but it didnt work is that still the case?

Im wondering because with the new desert map I am thinking maybe thats been fixed?

Big Dawg if you know How I can script the F35's or Harriers to do Vertical takeoffs with the SetVelocity script I would love to get my hands on it.

I am reading the capture play and will try it but I am still kind of a noob again have never really written a script.

If you have all the appropriate coordinates data for your editor made airport - it should be possible to write a patch that would add ILS info to your chosen Islands config on loading...

Details of the ILS entries you'd need are in This Guide

B

Thanks so much for the mission fel I am going to load it as soon as I start playing tonight. So in your opinion might be able to make a functional airstrip anywhere on the map then?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Man theres so much learning and time to doing these things however it is interesting. Thanks there bushlurker Ill try it got to be honest though I never had trigonometry :=)