Sign in to follow this  
Zedrein

Military SciFi Projects Thread

ive been waiting a few titles now have the BI guys even put any kind of bipedal support into OA? theres been many people wanting to add mechs to Arma over the years and i myself spent $50 for OA in the hopes BI has made it easier for mech fans to mod the game. well does anyone know if they have made it better? if not @BI get your buts in gear and add support for something like mechs!

Edited by Zedrein
better name for the thread

the only thing/problem is animating it, which i hear is tedious work

Removed due to ?

Edited by Zedrein

Good riddance. This is not a "Mech" game. They are not gonna tailor the game to make it easier for "mech fans". This is a MODERN COMBAT SIMULATION, which, incase ya don't understand, is not, and will hopefully never be, a Mech Game.

I don't understand. Why was there a random, and completely unfounded, expectation that Arrowhead would, for some magical reason, contain mechs? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Good riddance. This is not a "Mech" game. They are not gonna tailor the game to make it easier for "mech fans". This is a MODERN COMBAT SIMULATION, which, incase ya don't understand, is not, and will hopefully never be, a Mech Game.

*faceplam pic here*

Just one thing: people can make whatever addons they like for this game and people who like the addon can use them and enjoy them with others sharing the same idea.

As for the OP, I dont think anyone have an idea what should be change to support your idea, and plz do bare in mind that this game is a tactical shooter in the first place, every changes should make without ruin the game in the first place

Edited by 4 IN 1

*faceplam pic here*

Just one thing: people can make whatever addons they like for this game and people who like the addon can use them and enjoy them with others sharing the same idea.

As for the OP, I dont think anyone have an idea what should be change to support your idea, and plz do bare in mind that this game is a tactical shooter in the first place, every changes should make without ruin the game in the first place

No... facepalm.gif

He wanted BOHEMIA to make it where he could make mechs. My response, was why the hell would BOHEMIA do that. Yes, you can mod the game however the hell you would like, but don't expect the creators of the game to go out of their way to make it easier just for mech fans to mod it.

i think they should focus more on modern stuff, like a super duper.. AK-47.

Guys just asked for a simple thing, maybe a more advanced animation engine.

Back on Ofp people were much more creative not only modern combat nerds.. I remember that some of the most promising mods were inspired by Starwars and C&C Tiberium Sun...

You can definitely do mechs on Arma2 as you could on Ofp, but as for everything related to animation in the Real Virtuality it's pretty limited.

The whole community would benefits greatly of a rehauled animation system.

The creative "Esprit" of the community is defintly not as great as it was during "Operation Flashpoint"-times. Now all we have is retexture after rextexture, and efforts to make the combat-boots of the Lituwajnian Special Forces even more realistic.

I know ArmA is supposed to be a realistic combat simulator not a SciFi game, but OFP was also so great because you could implement SciFi-stuff and then play it in a realistic environment. I miss the old days where it was much more fun to search ofp.gamepark.cz and be suprised with what the community came up this time.

This just hurts. Some geek is afraid his hyer-realism-game gets some fun additon he cant relate to. :rolleyes:

That is, or was, the great thing about the OFP series! There are only addons, that ADD something to the game, nothing gets "turned" and changed forever.

Oh god I rember the joy when Red Baron realesed his first car with openable trunk and engine compartment, or the Mech-Addon that could raise his arms and fly....Or the excellent Robotech-fighter from ArmA I...This innovation wouldnt have been possible with winers like Darkhorse.

EDIT: @Zedrein: Im not only talk, Im actually trying to add some addons fromt he "Gundam" Universo to ArmAII. Starting with this Zaku - *Gasp* MECH: http://s5.directupload.net/images/100707/lgd7jhqa.jpg

Would be nice, I could port my MGS4 Gekko into OA from GTASA. Just with a bit more detail in. :)

th_Gekkotextured.jpg

OA is perfect MGS4 territory as it stands, Strykers an all.

Not to mention we already have the Praying Mantis in A2+OA thanks to Ardvarkdb.

Btw that Gekko looks great.

Would be nice, I could port my MGS4 Gekko into OA from GTASA. Just with a bit more detail in. :)

th_Gekkotextured.jpg

OA is perfect MGS4 territory as it stands, Strykers an all.

Awesome. I just finished texturing my MS-06 "Zaku II", and now I have to face the problem of animating it.

Did you already thought about how to move the legs? Do you think extracting the info from the OFP-mechs would work?

Here is one, I haven looked into yet, but I think its just an advanced "rotate" sequence just with the gunbarrels on the gatlings.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9641

EDIT: Oh and I have to agree, ArmA is perfect for MGS.

Also, especially Operaton Arrowhead, with its Desert Terrain, is very nice for my "MS IGLOO" project. (MS IGLOO is a very realistic-style collection of high-quality CGI-shortfilms set in the Gundam-Universe)

Guys just asked for a simple thing, maybe a more advanced animation engine.

Back on Ofp people were much more creative not only modern combat nerds.. I remember that some of the most promising mods were inspired by Starwars and C&C Tiberium Sun..

and the few unappreciative over critical jerks on the forums have chased those modders away.....

or they found other interest like guns and girls :bounce3:

Nope, this thread is crazy creative territory now :yay:

Flamers and "modern-combat-nerds" who rather want the bazillionst M4-addon or Special Forces Reskin can stay out.

EDIT: Maybe Zedrein can change the title to something like "Military SciFi Thread" or something.

Edited by Roger Johnson

The creative "Esprit" of the community is defintly not as great as it was during "Operation Flashpoint"-times. Now all we have is retexture after rextexture, and efforts to make the combat-boots of the Lituwajnian Special Forces even more realistic.

I know ArmA is supposed to be a realistic combat simulator not a SciFi game, but OFP was also so great because you could implement SciFi-stuff and then play it in a realistic environment. I miss the old days where it was much more fun to search ofp.gamepark.cz and be suprised with what the community came up this time.

I know what you mean. I think it's partly that way because in OFP it was easier to create addons, e.g. no rvmats, Fewer polygons.... so it takes alot of skill to create unconventional mod themes and people seem to prefer "real" mods these days.

Few interest leads to few people offering help. So you have to be a total badass for getting it working (like Philcommando for OFP or the one who created the lightsaber addon).

Speaking of unconventional mods, have a look at the second spoiler tag in my sig? I know it's no walking mechs but still, you can have spacebattles in an asteroid field with alien ships or visit egyptian style ruins right now.

Edited by Icewindo

I know what you mean. I think it's partly that way because in OFP it was easier to create addons, e.g. no rvmats, Fewer polygons.... so it takes alot of skill to create unconventional mod themes and people seem to prefer "real" mods these days.

Few interest leads to few people offering help. So you have to be a total badass for getting it working (like Philcommando for OFP or the one who created the lightsaber addon).

Speaking of unconventional mods, have a look at the second spoiler tag in my sig? I know it's no walking mechs but still, you can have spacebattles in an asteroid field with alien ships or visit egyptian style ruins right now.

Yeah...My first kitbash in OFP took me not even a week from downloading O2 to working ingame. Now I had my untextured Zaku ingame after two months...Even with the previous OFP-O2 experience. :-(

Its a shame, Im a great fan of the so called "Military SciFi"-genre. SciFi battles with futuristic but not completly over-the-top vehicles under a realistic premiss. Examples like "Starship Troopers", "Metal Gear Solid", the Colonial Marines from "Aliens", the "MS IGLOO" movies from the Gundam-universe or even the more tame ground battles from "Stargate".

Armed Assault is PERFECT for this kind of scenario, because even mechs are still controlled by a normal soldiers that die after ~three shots, and their weapons can shot realistic ballistic ammunition, the use fuel, have somewhat realistic armor, are still beatable by a well-commanded ordinary tank...

Wow you are the guy that did the shield and the Stalker units? Thanks, Im defintly checking your Stargate stuff out.

sad to say but if its not easier to add mechs in OA then thats my LAST BI game.

Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

Next thing we know we will have someone crying because they cannot have an AT-AT in the game!

Edited by Hellfire257

OFP had time on it's side, years in fact. People could muddle in O2 and get things done, even if it took em 2 to 4 years to make an addon.

Now the development cycle seems like every year a new game is coming, so you need to overhaul your modding skills to make anything....hmmm, sign of the times :rolleyes:

I'd love mech mods in Arma2 and beyond, but I understand it's not BIS's place to make it mandatory. I still hold out hope some mech mod team will see the benefits of the "worlds/battles/missions/vehicles/fun" you can create in BIS games like OFP , ARMA , ARMA2 , OA and what evers next.

Benefits that most dedicated mech games can't even touch.

Edited by Soldier of Anarchy

This just hurts. Some geek is afraid his hyer-realism-game gets some fun additon he cant relate to. :rolleyes:

Listen, I have no problem with "Mech" addons/mods. I love the Stargate mod, and all the SciFi addons that have been released, hell I love every addon that's released. That's not the issue here. The issue is that the thread starter believes that Bohemia Interactive needs to tailor their MilSim "Game" to Mech fans. That's the part that pisses me off.

Yes, "Good Riddance" to him, if he's not gonna buy another BIS game, just because they didn't tailor it to mech fans.

If you cannot understand this reasoning, then open up the 1st spoiler, and take the blue pill.

If you can, open up the 2nd spoiler, and take the red pill. :cool:

Blue:

Red:

Nope, this thread is crazy creative territory now :yay:

Flamers and "modern-combat-nerds" who rather want the bazillionst M4-addon or Special Forces Reskin can stay out.

EDIT: Maybe Zedrein can change the title to something like "Military SciFi Thread" or something.

i love that.. have to say i miss the good old days.. so i guess we old retired players should start making funny addons and go play in our own corner, far away from all the ACE2 players.

funny addons like we used to have back in the day (OFP-good times) is something i miss nowadays...

Two words: Lega Warz! Most hilarious addon ever...next to the roflcopter :D

Do you remember the addons with the giant russians etc.?:D

But well, completly over the top stuff isnt really my thing either....

Well if Zedrein doesnt come back (he did seem quite upset :rolleyes: ), Im going to open up an own thread about SciFi Addons, although Im going to wait till my Zaku is somewhat presentable on screenshots, so that I have something to show. On the other hand everyone else is invited to do it, maybe Liquidpinky with his Gekko.

By any chance, do you have the "Aliens" dropship .p3d that was posted here? I asked for it in the Requests thread, but it was quickly buried.