Sign in to follow this  
scorpio17523

Night Vision in OA

Just a quick question. Is NV in OA currently broken? I ask this because if I use it, I can't see anything, its too bright and it doesnt auto adjust. If there is a keybind for it, I can't find it and I've looked.

If anyone could shed some light on this please do, thanks.

Scorpio

So no one knows how to change the Night Vision sensitivity? Everyone just runs round with it bright green? Or are people using mods?

I believe the NVGs are effected by HDR lighting so the brightness changes depending on how light the area is, normally someone makes a mod (maybe there is one) that sets the NVGs a a particular level of brightness.

If in the editor you set the time of day to midnight and then launch with a unit that has NVGs normally you can see quite well.

Got the same problem, doesn´t matter where/what time i got in a night map, Nightvision is to bright i can´t see a sh**. In ArmA2 i don´t have this kind of problem only in OA. Is it possible to toggle the brightness?

If it's too bright then your probably somewhere that NV is not required?

Brightness toggle is only possible with mods (ie ACE) and it´s only "too bright" in areas with additional light sources like campfires etc. which is only realistic.

It doesn't seem too bright to me at all. Most of the time in Arma2 it was too dark and would adjust to a single light source so you couldn't see anything except the light. The current NV in OA is 10x better than in Arma2 IMO.

Maybe try messing with your gama/screen brightness to see if you can tone it down? I used to use a mod that let you manually adjust it; but since OA I don't need it anymore.

In the map Lasershow or in the editor if i setup a night map my NV is always to bright:mad:

I also tried already to put the gamma settings down, doesn´t realy helped...

I don´t use mods, sometimes causing trouble on a other things, i dont like mods.

In the map Lasershow or in the editor if i setup a night map my NV is always to bright:mad:

I also tried already to put the gamma settings down, doesn´t realy helped...

I don´t use mods, sometimes causing trouble on a other things, i dont like mods.

NV in a full moon night is not a good idea...You have nearly no benefit...as in real life. The most amazing Thing in OA is that lighting an eye adaption is so well simulated...you are better WITHOUT NVG at night quite often. NVG is for really dark environment, not for full moon in the open or for lit up towns. PS: ...put brightness down...not gamma. It can also depend on your Monitor...my previous TFT was crap in night scenes, the new one does better...CRTs do still best in this case. Edited by Ulanthorn

ooh man... in ArmA1 or ArmA2 you can turn on the NV even in the middle of the day, you will still be able to see anything but its green, but in OA (maybe only on my machine) it sucks:mad:

look here:

NV turned off... oanvoff.jpg

NV turned on... oanvon.jpg

Hi, for what i remember... i didn't had that problem with the CO, i seen much better with the NVGs on the CO than in the ArmA2, as example:

ArmA2 NVGs on the AH-64:

ArmA2_bug_05.jpg

so well, you basically can't fly, or drive any car by night on the ArmA2, and this wasn't in this way with the CO, but wasn't much better anyways when inside any vehicle that had some bright element, like a MFD or a tachometer, like the pickups... that the cheap trick that they came up with was... to give that silly zoom value when driving a wheeled vehicle; that dificults to drive it right, as you're pasted to the glass.

So basicaly the NVGs are screwd up on both things when on vehicles, but not on foot, some times. Let's C ya

I just noticed that NV does seem worse when bloom lighting is enabled. I always use very low setting for PP; so I never got bloom When I switched it to normal there was a definite washout. I guess until BIS fixes the overdone bloom just set PP to very low/disabled (not sure if it's in the Low setting)

Im sure this would have been offically reported as it is one of the biggest game breakers still left over.

Hi, i guess that the bloom is linked to the post processing and i've that set Off. But about light, shine and brightness... BIS screwed it up on the ArmA2, if you look at the AV8 or any other military vehicle, even the weapons... you gonna see how the Harrier's wheels are as reflective as a mirror and the harrier itself; the tanks etc shine in the same way that they do IRL when they're under the rain or totaly covered by water, but here they do it without a (valid) reason. The weapons are also shiny as if they were made out of glass or recovered by cianocrilate, all because the UV maps of everything are too strong. Just look at the player's custom face selection, that head model don't have this terrible UV maps (as it was on the ArmA 1) and it look better; on the ArmA 1 the NGVs worked better than they do in the ArmA2 with the only exception of the SU-34, that you wasn't able of see anything by night because of the HUD's brightness.

Sadly... fix this is impossible for BIS as it'll make the ArmA2 and OA/CO to look like the ArmA 1 and will require they to remove the UV maps (or redo/tweak 'em down) for every game model and that's something that don't gonna happen. So i think that we'll never see a fix for this. Let's C ya

Maybe it's an issue with the new IR vision? Something they changed to get the IR textures (or whatever they use) for OA also affects NV ones as well?

Don't know, I'm not a dev...

Hi guys,

finaly i solved the problem... :)

i installed the latest graphicscard driver (nVidia 260.89), maybe the old one wasn´t good...:rolleyes:

now is everything fine for me, NV works perfect now!:yay::dancehead:

Thx a lot for trying to help me!:286:

regards

Joker-WASP