Sign in to follow this  
nkenny

INTERFACE: Ironsight/Optics button should revert weapon to Default firemode.

Panic functionality for Optics button.  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Panic functionality for Optics button.

• Yea
    • Nay
    • Other

edit:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/13749

-k

Put simply.

LOGIC

Since Operation Flashpoint times the 'weapon mode' menu has been steadily growing in complexity. In OA it is not uncommon to have two firemodes, Grenade Launcher, Hand Grenade, Smoke grenade, IR beacons, and more. All linked to one button. Press one time too many and you'll have to cycle through all of them again.

This is neither convenient nor intuitive. It will get you killed.

SUGGESTION

Pressing the Optics button whilst having Grenades, Satchels, Smoke Grenades selected should immediately revert the weapon to the 'default' firemode. For most western weapons this would be semi-auto.

Nice and easy way to quickly reset your weapon mode -- bloody convenient if you are fumbling around with your other equipment.

-k

Edited by NkEnNy
Added dev-heaven link

Good idea, to build further upon: holding the "F" key brings up a quick menu that allows quick selection of preferred wep mode. Often seen nowadays at console games where limited buttons need to have multiple functions.

Thumbs up on that suggestion. Agree that the F-key is getting way too many steps to cycle through to be really manageable, and this sounds like a nice and easy fix.

Good idea, to build further upon: holding the "F" key brings up a quick menu that allows quick selection of preferred wep mode. Often seen nowadays at console games where limited buttons need to have multiple functions.

This.

+1

It's not uncommon where I play to have a large array of "things" in my loadout that are selected via the "F" key.

A quick path back to primary sights would be a welcome adjustment. Linking to the backup sight "/" seems clever enough.

The logic question, "If my hands never leave the weapon, why do I have to touch everything else before I get back to my weapon?".

SHIFT+F is also another possible solution, it would be used to cycle backwards through the firemodes, much the same effect it has on ALT+TAB and CTRL+TAB in other applications.

I always try to bring up optics and instead just zoom in because I have grenade or one of the other choices selected.Its perfect your idea.

Big yea from me. Not only do you have to cycle, but in the heat of the moment you tend to cycle too far - several times - before you finally get what you want. I'm typically dead by then. Not only that, but you have to read what it says on the screen GUI while you're doing it. In real life I would expect it to be far more responsive do actually do what you're attempting to do - flick it from safe to desired firemode (agreed, semi for most western, but if you need burst or auto, at least you know you only have to press f cycle only once to get there) and start shooting.

Excellent idea, or better still let us bind weapons directly to buttons.

Anything to make UI faster and more intuitive at all levels.

-k

I would never bump my own thread.

-k

This makes absolute perfect sense! I would love to have quick access back to a default firing mode. I've ended up clicking off grenades by accident because the whole Cycle-F thing just a little excessive and took concentration away in an awkward way.

Definitely a good idea but even simply being able to cycle backwards would improve things considerably.

The thing is cycling backwards would require yet another key on an already crowded keyboard.

For many players, particularly those whom play without crosshair, pressing the Optics button is an hardwired respone when you need to shoot.

-k

this or better

Excellent idea, or better still let us bind weapons directly to buttons.

go for it BIS, PLEASE !!!

Hm... I would rather see one button for switching fire more only and another button to switch between grenades, satchels, (everything else). However this sounds good.

I voted Yea.

I know that feeling, you think you're firing but you're throwing a grenade :D

This suggestion is worth a CIT request imho.

Weapon cycle should be fixed. One key should cycle through weapons, and a different key should cycle through modes of the current selected weapon. That would simplify things.

A panic button would be nice too. In most games I have a key bound that returns me to my default weapon. In ArmA it would be nice to have a key that puts you back to your main weapon in its default mode with your default view with freelook off and all menus closed--all in one click but it should be different than the normal optics button or other since sometimes you're flipping around your optics and NOT in a panic :)

I'd bind the panic button to the thumb key on my mouse.

New year-- more nagging.

-k

Definately yes please! The other day I was on our server trying to clear a town and instead of shooting at the unexpected Taki coming round the corner I dropped a nade at my feet and killed my entire squad.

That's my fault obviously but having a panic firemode button would certainly reduce the chances of this happening.