Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Scud?

In Operation Arrowhead there is a SCUD launcher you can drive and fire. When you fire the missile just goes up in the air never to return. How can I set a target?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

When you fire the missile just goes up in the air never to return.

That's all it does.

So this is basically here as a template for mods?

Well, it works great as a prop for those "stop the SCUD launch" missions, but yea it'd be easy to set it up to fire at targets. Wouldn't be too realistic with the kind of ranges in OA though..

The old OFP commands should still work with it? ScudState, etc..

Sounds like an interesting way to gain altitude.. fast!

I imagine in the future someone will mod it to some form of functionality, like Mando.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to script the missile being prepared, or even launch the missile? I've tried how it used to be in OFP but to no avail.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to script the missile being prepared, or even launch the missile? I've tried how it used to be in OFP but to no avail.

I give you the exclusive right to rip my mission apart and use it for exploitation. :p

It's not that hard after all, just two action commands.

Yup, I had just found out how to do it thanks to Rellikki. Thanks anyways, W0lle. :D

Basically, the two actions are scudLaunch (raise the warhead) and scudStart (fire it).

I think BIS stuck the SCUD in here as more of a template for the community to mod rather than something to work with right now in missions. I love that they did this. Making a fully-featured SCUD on a 128² [however big the gameworld is] would be unrealistic anyway, as they fire primarily ICBMs. Making it the community's choice means it's up to us whether we want that unrealistic, super overpowering weapon. Imagine having a fully-featured SCUD in a Warfare game... insta-win.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

insta win is insta win :D

Real firing sequence takes about an hour iirc, so it actually could be nice asset in warfare. Cost like shit, after selecting launch coordinates launcher can't be moved, and enemy gets a little "intel" about where the launcher is. :p

I think BIS stuck the SCUD in here as more of a template for the community

Or, they just used it the exact same way it was originally intended in OFP: as a prop. Something you need to destroy in a mission. TBH, it's completely impractical to use them for anything else with such relatively small landscapes.

Or, they just used it the exact same way it was originally intended in OFP: as a prop. Something you need to destroy in a mission. TBH, it's completely impractical to use them for anything else with such relatively small landscapes.

I was shocked to see it myself, And racked my brain trying to make it do something useful, To no avail, however it does look cool. I plan on creating a Nice MP co-op with this thing in a heavily defended base.. likely an airfield as the final objective. At any rate, I agree that having it "work" would be insane. Even with arma's famous gigantic maps, wve yet to reach a size in the FPS genre where ICBMs really make sence.

The SCUD has a minimum range of 50km. It's a theater ballistic missile. It ain't shooting nothing from the same ArmA-map it's launched from.

The SCUD has a minimum range of 50km. It's a theater ballistic missile. It ain't shooting nothing from the same ArmA-map it's launched from.

I've heard tell of 64x64km being done.... but even so like others said... implementing this thing in any way would be impractical.. not to mention a waste of resources. if your team were to aquire this it would be destroyed in seconds.. or require an inordinate amount of protection.

I have a bunch of mods installed that add all kind of things... but none add a scud.. so i tried OA's scud and i was able to click on the map and launch at Zagrabad (spelt correct?) even though i was on the other end of the map the blast wave still killed me. also when the missile fires the truck runs out of fuel... i guess that is a bug?

I have a bunch of mods installed that add all kind of things... but none add a scud.. so i tried OA's scud and i was able to click on the map and launch at Zagrabad (spelt correct?) even though i was on the other end of the map the blast wave still killed me. also when the missile fires the truck runs out of fuel... i guess that is a bug?

Can anyone else confirm this??? Are you sure your not using Gigans scud launcher? If this is true that could make an interesting mission, disable the scud before the takis set it off withougt launching it. :yay:

I would do this myself but sadly, I leave in a little bit and will be gone for a week with no OA :(

Edited by Nightrain

Can anyone else confirm this??? Are you sure your not using Gigans scud launcher? If this is true that could make an interesting mission, disable the scud before the takis set it off withougt launching it. :yay:

I would do this myself but sadly, I leave in a little bit and will be gone for a week with no OA :(

I've just had a proper check through my mods ( i have them all in one folder) and i do infact have a mod called gig_Scud... << i guess that is the one you speak of? my apologies i thought i had no scud mods installed at all.

It works good as a semi-prop. Make it fire its missile if you dont make it in time and create a huge bomb at the target it is supposed to demolish. This way you see it shoot, and a [instert target] gets blown to bits. Simple. :)

Maybe Arty Module works? Didnt test it yet. However i noticed the mortar bags doest seem to work either. Did in the WIP version (maybe i didnt test enough).

I really only like it because of how big it is lol

Well, you could have one mission to get rid of it. Then on the next mission on another island it could hit (or not, it's a SCUD after all :D) depending on your success or failure in the previous mission. In my current experiment the enemy will be equipping their SCUDs with chemical warheads, but your job is only to observe. Lots of uses for a SCUD besides actually firing one...

Edited by CarlGustaffa