Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Arma 2 Linux Server 1.07 BETA

A new version of Linux beta server 1.07 build 71852 is available now for download.

Please post your feedback to this thread.

Thank you again for your help with the testing of the Linux server platform for Arma II.

ArmA 2 - Linux Standalone Server 1.07 BETA

=====================================

Copyrigt © 2009 Bohemia Interactive Studio. All rights reserved.

For more information please visit

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

Installation instructions:

==========================

1. Following programs must have been installed on your Linux-box:

tar, gcc. Optional: md5sum (for setup integrity check)

1a. On some verions of Linux (this was reported for RedHat 9

and Gentoo linux 2.4.20) the NSCD deamon must be installed to

run ArmA 2 server successfully. Caching of DNS would be sufficient.

2. Copy the whole "ArmA 2" directory from Windows

to some Linux-directory (ArmA2). DON'T DO ANY DATA CONVERSIONS

(even "dos2unix" translation of text files is not necessary).

Example: you can use PKZIP (WinZip, PowerArchiver, etc.) on

Windows and "unzip" on Linux.

Don't use upper case letters in the ArmA2 directory name

(/home/bob/arma2 will be good, /home/bob/ArmA

may cause some troubles).

ArmA2 directory should contain subdirectories "Addons", "Bin",

"Campaigns", etc.

3. Copy the "server-x.xx.tar.gz" (x.xx is version number) file into

the ArmA2 directory. Unpack and install it with commands:

arma2$ tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2

arma2$ ./install

Watch the messages - they will inform you whether your installation

is successful.

4. Dedicated server can be started in foreground:

arma2$ ./server

Or in background:

o$ nohup ./server > out.txt 2> err.txt &

[1] <pid>

5. Running server can be stopped by executing:

$ kill -s SIGINT <pid>

Where <pid> is process-id of mother server thread (printed out in

"nohup" command).

6. ArmA2 server has a feature: command-line parameter

"-pid=<pid_file>". It causes creation of <pid_file> with

PID of root ArmA2 process. If IP port specified in "-port=<nn>"

parameter is busy (in usage), ArmA2 will terminate immediately

and <pid_file> won't be written..

7. The "arma2server" script is provided for automatic server

start/restart/status query/etc. Please be sure to edit

CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS in lines 12 to 18 !

After this is done, install (hard-link?) the script into

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/arma2server" file. After that it can be managed

by "chkconfig" (see info/man).

Edited by Maruk

Excellent! Our team will try it out tommorow during our regular squadnight. Thanks!

Edit: crap, we don't have 1.07 on the dedicated yet, addons dir not updated... I guess we don't have time to reupload 8.6gigs again :/ any tips on how to update the linux files, exe patcher clearly is not a solution?

Edited by IceBreakr

We will prepare "proper" server data distribution in near future but atm I do not know about any better way than full upload, unfortunately.

Excellent! Our team will try it out tommorow during our regular squadnight. Thanks!

Edit: crap, we don't have 1.07 on the dedicated yet, addons dir not updated... I guess we don't have time to reupload 8.6gigs again :/ any tips on how to update the linux files, exe patcher clearly is not a solution?

Umm.. is the file mistakenly named a2oa-server....? or whats behind that?

I uploaded the differences using rsync, took minutes rather than hours. Though I have to admit I haven't tried the server it yet as I was waiting for this updated executable.

There is one important prep: you should run the ./install script with tolower first on a local linux box copy so rsync won't treat file names with capital letters as completely new files.

From there it's all delta transfers.

I´m uploading the changes of my ArmA 2 Installation by the Time of the 1.07 Patch right now.

Sadly I know no other way to do the Patch. The Copy runs for 48hrs by now and still goes on. Since I know that all files are lower cased, I think that I don´t have to run the install process again, because tolower only checks for upper cased files and renames them. Is that correct, or am I wrong @this point ??

Thanxs in advance,

Umm.. is the file mistakenly named a2oa-server....? or whats behind that?

My bad, corrected now (I left link to the a2oa server by mistake).

Disregard, I see Maruk posted while I was copy/pasting log file stuff!

I'll re-download and try again.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:44 PM ----------

Seems to work fine so far (no mods and only me and a bunch of AI's).

I did notice in the A2OA Linux server file pack that there was an added option in "arma2server" to limit cpu to 2 (-cpucount=2).

What is the recommendation for arma2 dedis for Linux?

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

...and btw - good work!

Nice to see a developer who still support linux based servers.

Hi guys this may be a stupid question but I'm having a problem. I installed the original arma 2 and I applied the huge patch (1.00 to 1.07). I start the game and I go to multiplayer. when I find the server that I want to join, I click Join but after a little bit it disconnects me and gives me a long message aying something like; you cannot play/edit... when I try a different server/game I still get this message. I was only able to enter one server earlier today. can anyone help me with this problem? thank you guys in advance.

Intel® Core2CPU 6600 @2.40GHz (2CPUs), ~900MHz

4096MB RAM

DirectX 11

I must say that I did a testrun of warfare BE today with the new linux 1.07 71852 and according to top I was running at 150% cpu and ingame still at 50fps so it was looking VERY nice! The lowest I got at any point was 48fps for a second or two.

Maruk, is there a possibility to get tar.bz2 pack of the patch?

Plecas: you're missing an addon/mod aka Expansion required for that mission currently playing on server.

I'm having crash issues with the server. It would seem that its mostly related to the amount of .pbo files that are loaded since I can run the server fine with just vanilla a2 files and we currently have 304 missions on the server.

At this point we have 304 mission .pbos with additional 53 pbos from the a2 addons directory.

As soon as I launch the server with ACE (ace, acex, acex_pla, acex_sm) enabled, which has 312 pbos plus CBA which has 15 pbos, I can only load up 151 missions. If I have 152 missions in my mpmissions directory the minute I join the server, it will crash, and it will always report that it cannot load some mission (which changes on each crash). After it has restarted after the crash I can join the server but I will not find ANY missions except the ones that came with the vanilla game.

Now I do not know if this is actually an ACE problem or not, but all 304 missions worked on the 1.05 server just fine even with ACE running there too.

Edit: made a CIT report, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11584

Edit 2: I would also like to point out that its not the individual missions that are crashing the server because I tried starting the server with just one mission in the mpmissions folder and it was earlier reported to "Cannot open file" on the logfile and it worked just fine.

Edit 3: Got it working now with increasing the limit of simultaneous open files per user in my OS from 1024 to 4096. Odd since I used to run 2 servers with the old limit on 1.05... In case anyone else starts getting same problem as I did, Sickboy provided the following link which I used to edit my limits: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files/

Edited by Sekra

How should be done this though the following messages are displayed when Linux 1.07 beta is started?

Cannot register unknown string STR_INCOMPATIBLE_LOAD_GAME_ATTEMPT

Hi. Just wanna add my result about testing this newest beta for linux.

Server specs:

Dell Poweredge 2,6ghz 4 processor AMD Opteron with 8g memory connected to internet with 100mb cable.

Linux Ubuntu.

arma2.cfg are original Kellys Heroes edit.

Start up:

./server -cpucount=4 -port=2312 -name=2312 -config=2312/server.cfg -cfg=2312/arma2.cfg -profiles=2312 -mod=@ace\;@acex\;@acex_pla\;@cba\

Map: Ours favourite Warfare ACE V2.060

Match time: 10hour

Server stat: http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/135706

Match stat: http://arma2.swec.se/game/data/2770469

I just wanna realise how new version use our server, but i'm little dispointed. Don't see nothing update about server speed.

Tested allmost only with AI players.

Server fps drops about 5-9 when town spawned.

Server FPS speed picture

Processors used only about 200% :butbut:

olut0407101139.JPG

--------------------

Another question is are others same problem with A2OA? We tryed friend who have A2OA installed and started only arma2 with normal version and he can't join to server. It just say he have wrong version to join?

I wondering if it only because we have keys requirements on server and there not have OA key but are that the problem? Don't tested this yet.

Thanks.

Hey there,

Picked up ArmA 2 on Steam a few days ago. Very impressed so far, though am still getting gunned down repeatedly in single player. Tried some co-op with a friend, but haven't done any serious multiplayer yet.

Am currently trying to set up an ArmA 2 dedicated server on my Linux server. Managed to get all the server files set-up properly, but need to get the game resources onto the server somehow.

Is there any other source for the ArmA 2 resource files other than simply uploading them from my local machine (if that is even the right approach)? Steam sometimes supplies third-party server software using its "hlds" software, but that doesn't seem to be the case with ArmA 2. Any news if that is planned by the developers at all?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated; due to my upload-throttled home connection any transfer to the server using that would take about 36 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any other source for the ArmA 2 resource files other than simply uploading them from my local machine (if that is even the right approach)?
Nope, and yes, that's the right approach.
Steam sometimes supplies third-party server software using its "hlds" software, but that doesn't seem to be the case with ArmA 2. Any news if that is planned by the developers at all?
It has been mentioned that they are looking into a way to solve this. Maybe there will be a way to get the raw game data to your dedi in a faster way in the future, but for now, start uploading :-)

(I suggest you compress the data files before, since that cuts the size down a few gigabytes)

(I suggest you compress the data files before, since that cuts the size down a few gigabytes)

Ah, thanks. It's been so long since I've dealt with scarce computing resources that this completely escaped my mind! Compressing the large resource files has already shaved 1.5GB off the upload.

Originally I was hoping that it would be possible to FTP/HTTP the largest resource files across from another dedicated server, as they make up the bulk of the upload.

This character string was investigated and STR_INCOMPATIBLE_LOAD_GAME_ATTEMPT was investigated.

The character string was discovered in the following places.

May I think that I improve it by the following formal release?

Or, the problem of the parameter etc. somehow?

arma2.exe(39283):

arma2oa.exe(47342):

arma2oaserver.exe(33080):

arma2server.exe(32875):

Ah, thanks. It's been so long since I've dealt with scarce computing resources that this completely escaped my mind! Compressing the large resource files has already shaved 1.5GB off the upload.

Originally I was hoping that it would be possible to FTP/HTTP the largest resource files across from another dedicated server, as they make up the bulk of the upload.

my suggestion is to use 7-zip 9.15 with LZMA2 method set to ultra (increase dictionary and word size to what your memory can handle)

Updated: Solved this problem by running the ./install script again. Somehow sorted it out, though have no idea how.

---

Finally managed to get the files uploaded and the server is now up and running. Used the excellent Kelly's Heroes dedicated server guide to sort out the various config files. However, am now having a trouble installing missions.

The missions seem to be in the right folder (/arma2/MPMissions/) and have appropriate permissions, but are not showing up in the map voting screen when I connect to the server. I'm fairly sure the server is doing something with them, as if the folder name is changed to "mpmissions" (lower-case) it starts spitting out errors:

Cannot open file 'MPMissions\Behind_Enemy_Lines_v1.Chernarus.pbo'

Changing the folder name back to MPMissions solves that problem, but the missions still don't show up. Scratching my head a bit on this one.

Edited by Caddrel

Linux doesn't like capital letters.

Use ./tolower command at your server's root.

Edited by Lonestar

Changing the folder name back to MPMissions solves that problem, but the missions still don't show up. Scratching my head a bit on this one.
That's not a solution. It only means that game engine will not read any mpmissions files, since there is no mpmissions folder (lowercase).

Double check permissions and owner of the mission files in mpmission (lowercase) and also double check that mpmissions folder and all mission files are lowercase.

Looked around a little before I decided to post so forgive me if it's been brought up before or elsewhere. So I've just completed the installation. It says successfully installed and I now see some new items in my directory: arma2server, server, tolower, etc. So now when I go to run the server as shown in the instructions under item 4.

4. Dedicated server can be started in foreground:

arma2$ ./server

I get t replied back:

./server: No such file or directory

I do see the executable in my OA directory so I'm not sure why I cant run this. Any ideas? :confused:

2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:20:59 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Is the file executable?

Check the file rights been set to rwxr-xr-x ("chmod 755 server").

Greetings,

Astra