Sign in to follow this  
Htorne

Fresh meet here

Hi guys and yea for Arma II and Operation Arrowhead. Just bought both games. :yay:

Im noob in mint condition - and need some multiplayer advice. I've been looking around the Internet for information, but for some reason it seems the Arma II community has few noobs :cool:

Anywho I wanted to ask if there was anyone out there that could outline the current different types of multiplayer game types there is. Or perhaps point me in the direction of a newbie guide to Arma II / OA guides.

e.g. When I try and join a game it seems it is running a mod of some sort, I can't tell which.

In short please help me learn the multiplayer lingo of Arma II/OA - In return I promiss I will be an easy target for a few weeks :)

Thanks

Hi Htorne

The mod you're talking about might be ACE2, its not in anybodies flavor, but there are "vanilla" servers enought. Not with ArmA II 1.07 and OA 1.52 released we will have to wait a few days until the old numbers of servers and the "usual suspects" will be back. currently there are even servers still running ArmA 1.05.

one of the mostencountered onlien gamemodes is CTI (capture the (is)land) the name is unchanged from the days when "Operation Flashpoint" and "Armed Assault" took place on islands.

A very popular version of CTI is "Warfare BE" with some RTS elements like deploying bases or upgrading tech trees where you have to buy gear and A.I. units to lead them into the battle for al the capturable tows and cities on the map.

CTI matches with 16 vs. 16 players can take more then 4 hours to complete...some took 12 hours until the server crashed ;)

Evolution and Domination are other CTI derivates, but i never got much into this.

Of course there will be Dethmatch or teamdethmatch and capture the flag missions, but this occured not as very popular in the last days of ArmA II.

Hi Htorne,

If you live in North America, check out the C5 (server #1) and ArmAcalypse servers. The ArmAcalypse server is exclusively AAS (Advance And Secure), while C5 offers a mix of AAS, C&H (Capture and Hold), and DM (Deathmatch). When it is slow, occasionally a coop mission is played on C5. I usually play on the C5 server on Wednesday and Thursday nights, and on Armacalypse all the other nights.

If you want to play on ArmAcalypse, you will need to download the addon pack that we use there from here:

http://armacalypse.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40

If you run into any problems, you can jump on the ArmAcalypse Teamspeak3* server and ask someone, or the ArmAcalypse forums.

There is lots of information here, but do not feel obligated to digest it all at once:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

*TS server information is available here:

http://armacalypse.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11

All I can say is find a server that plays a map you like, and get to know the guys on it. You will often find there will be "regulars" on a certain server. Its a great way to meet new people and maybe even join or create a clan.

Also, if you are not sure what to do, don't be afraid to ask. The majority of the community here are great and will always help you without screaming at you for being new to the game!

Don't get stuck on the same mission though. Make sure you try out all the popular ones and try going on a random server hosting a regular COOP too.

Finally, ill offer you this. It's ARMA: expect the unexpected.

Have fun!