Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Arma 2 Steam Version: Reinstall BattleEye

When I told Steam to launch my copy of Arma 2, manually updated with 1.07, it prompted me if I wanted Full Screen, Windowed, or if I wanted to reinstall BattleEye. Since it has never asked the latter before, I assumed it was good idea because a new version was needed or something.

Now I have some undefined update in progress that, it is claimed, is at 0% progress and will be done in about 9 hours. Ex-freaking-cuse me? What are you doing to my game? Does anyone know what this option means? It's Steam, so stopping an update isn't possible as far as I know.

My game just started updating too. I think they pushed the 1.07 patch through Steam.

Btw, I'm pretty sure you can cancel Steam updates.

All of us Steam users have to redownload Arma 2. I can't believe it either, but this is what's happening.

You can cancel Steam updates? Any idea how? The new UI is just too shitty.

Edit: Seriously, Arrowhead? So I can play again in a day or so? Brilliant, and nice of them to tell us.

All of us Steam users have to redownload Arma 2. I can't believe it either, but this is what's happening.

The steam works in a way that any file that is modified has to be re-downloaded again fully. No way around it, nothing we could do... And Arma 2 1.07 modified most of the files...

That was the reason why we never released 1.05 through it, however, this time we have no other option because A2OA requires fully updated Arma 2 in order to be able to fully integrate its content.

We can not even tell atm if it is possible to manually patch first using our normal reasonably sized patch and after that enable the steam auto-update as there is no way to test it before it is fully out even for us.

The steam works in a way that any file that is modified has to be re-downloaded again fully. No way around it, nothing we could do... And Arma 2 1.07 modified most of the files...

That was the reason why we never released 1.05 through it, however, this time we have no other option because A2OA requires fully updated Arma 2 in order to be able to fully integrate its content.

We can not even tell atm if it is possible to manually patch first using our normal reasonably sized patch and after that enable the steam auto-update as there is no way to test it before it is fully out even for us.

But I have been playing 1.07 for days. Am I installing it twice? I have been installing non-Steam beta patches for months, and to my knowledge 1.05 was never released through Steam. So am I suddenly having to do all this in preparation for the expansion that I am not going to buy?

And why did it start when I clicked on 'Reinstall BattleEye' if that's not remotely what is happening?

My game just started updating too. I think they pushed the 1.07 patch through Steam.

Btw, I'm pretty sure you can cancel Steam updates.

You can't cancel Steam updates, it just deleted anything modified by OA/normal 1.07 patch. This means we have to redownload A2 again before we can play OA.

Is that why you're up at 2 in the morning? :eek:

I would have thought that by now Valve would introduce a new method for patching that doesn't require you to redownload every file in it's entirety. Guess it's not really an issue for most games on Steam though.

But I have been playing 1.07 for days. Am I installing it twice? I have been installing non-Steam beta patches for months, and to my knowledge 1.05 was never released through Steam. So am I suddenly having to do all this in preparation for the expansion that I am not going to buy?

Yes, 1.05 was never released through Steam as the negatives of large download were much bigger than positives (it is done automatically).

And why did it start when I clicked on 'Reinstall BattleEye' if that's not remotely what is happening?

Coincidence? Or bug? Hard to tell.

totally unrealated events ...

that option only reinstall BattlEye not whole game ...

Are the future manual patches planned to be compatible with Steam release like 1.05 and 1.07? I plan not to use Steam updating to avoid having to redownload the entire game again. My Steam settings sticked and it isn't updating A2 at the moment.

yes we plan to continue release universal patchers against and for all distributions ...

I did pretty much the same thing as Sniperwolf, I have Steam updating turned off and I used the manual 1.05 to 1.07 patch so I should be safe right?

I did pretty much the same thing as Sniperwolf, I have Steam updating turned off and I used the manual 1.05 to 1.07 patch so I should be safe right?

No, that's what I had. Already patched 1.07, auto-updates off.

Coincidence? Or bug? Hard to tell.

So I am downloading the 1.07 patch on top of itself. It will install twice. Am I going to have problems because of this?

Edited by maturin

This is exactly why I bought a second copy of ArmA II on DVD and why I bought the combined game version for Arrowhead on DVD... I'm done dealing with Steam's stupid. :)

I guess we'll see when OA comes out on steam. I honestly have never had a problem running Arma2 under steam. But I also don't run Arma2 through steam, since you can just use the default .exe and not the steam created one...why not? Lets just hope that in the steams "13 hours," they actually do release it.....Still kind miffed that there isn't even a price yet. I mean how hard is it to release a game on steam? It must not be that bad since everybody and their brother has released a game on it. :/