Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

This thread is to recently announced possibility of paid DLC next to free (content update) DLCs ....

(all the DLC discussion goes here and nowhere else, i'm merging it there ... period)

and as sidenote i will quote myself

either You buy or not ...

same like with ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead or ARMA 2 itself

what's the problem?

... it's not like it will be any usual DLC you see around these days

Edited by Dwarden

*Will the DLC that is planned for A2OA be free or paid and how it will be distributed?

- Both free and paid DLC is planned for A2OA. It will be distributed through different online channels. We've always given a lot of content to our community for free, however, we would like to see if there is interest from our users to fund development of higher quality and more complex packages. Fundamentally, the situation of the PC market in general, and sales of our products in particular, limits our ability to produce new content funded by the income from sales of the core game alone, as we have done in the past. We understand that this is a sensitive topic to some of our users; however, I suggest to not start any flame wars: if someone does not like to pay for DLC, the easiest thing is to simply not buy it.

So the brits probably are in the next DLC.

I hope only that the DLCs will not cost much.

Quote from the Q&A:

"Both free and paid DLC is planned for A2OA. It will be distributed through different online channels. We've always given a lot of content to our community for free, however, we would like to see if there is interest from our users to fund development of higher quality and more complex packages."

I'm with this. I will buy all BIS DLCs, if they add good amount of new stuff, example: A small new faction, like Brits :rolleyes:

the fact that there will be Paid DLC is making me sad

Inb4 the shitstorm about DLC now its confirmed that they will be charging for some of it. :rolleyes:

There are many no`s in the answers, leaves me a little disappointed, also the fact that there will be Paid DLC is making me sad :(

I don't mind paid DLC that much, just how much it could possibly fracture the community. People will tell you "community's already fractured it doesnt matter" which is true, but adding another layer of separation will do it no good, it all depends on the price/adoption rate. I guess British Army DLC is confirmed at this point...

Also, how will BIS handle pirates? Will the DLC come with it's own key? And seeing the nature of A2 modding, couldn't someone just grab the DLC units and repack them into a mod? :confused:

Inb4 the shitstorm about DLC now its confirmed that they will be charging for some of it. :rolleyes:

^ This.

I think the moderators are more than prepared for it, though. We might see it for a second or two, but by the next it will have disappeared and, hopefully, the poster is banned. :p

I was like 'yea, thats great!' and then 'oh, thats a shame' all the way through the faq hehe but I'm still as enthusiastic as ever, am really looking forward to it.

As for DLC, I'd pay for BI to give us some quality work without hesitation but they really need to be quite upfront in what they're doing/how long it'll take so the rather excellent mod community we have wont be clashing.

Also, how will BIS handle pirates? Will the DLC come with it's own key? And seeing the nature of A2 modding, couldn't someone just grab the DLC units and repack them into a mod? :confused:

Maybe like in VBS... encrypted data, accessable only with your copy key idk :P

As long as the DLC is consistent enough ( ex : 12 new weapons / 7 new vehicles / 10 new unit models / 3 new features ) I am willing to pay the price .

As I said before, I have absolutely no problem with paying for quality DLC. :)

I am not going to pay for DLCs, unless the find a good way of distribution. A good way would ben without Creditcard or Online Banking

I am not going to pay for DLCs, unless the find a good way of distribution. A good way would ben without Creditcard or Online Banking

Nowdays , you need credit card almost everywhere :p

Oh look, the DLC-discussion again.

Though I'm really glad payed DLC has been confirmed. Just have a look at Imageline (FL Studio). Really, go look how they do sofware business with a core application and addons. Sure, it's not a game, but their business model is fantastic: lifetime free upgrades for the core program (a constant stream of new patches and content/features too, for free - since years, just imagine that!), while new `addons` are to be payed for. Payed DLC. And it's a great mode of doing business (obviously), as well as beeing a customer (it's friggin titts).

Therefore I'm really looking forward to how BIS evolves in this regard. I imagine DLC-packs like this: at least one new world/island (which means new vegetation, some new animals, new buildings, new models in general), at least one if not two (opposing) factions, a nice campaign (nothing too big) and some missions. And it's sold. :)

I think it may well turn out to be a good thing that some of the DLC will be paid for. This means that BIS will be very carefull about what they produce for us as they know that if they produce something that there is not really a big demand for, then the chances are they won't recoup their investment on it.

Also it will help to ensure that any paid for DLC is of the highest quality or it simply won't sell. So all in all, I see it as a win win situation. BIS fund future projects and we get some great content.

Edited by Killerwatt
spelling

Paid DLC sounds okay to me. Bring it on! ;)

* How will delayed-lock on and countermeasures affect the nature of aerial combat in the game?

Players and AI will be not able to shoot instantly but wait for confirmed lock. Countermeasures will not just confuse missiles on the way but will be also able to brake lock before launch. Tank covered by smoke has to move away as AI will aim at his last known position.

Thanks for answering my question in such detail :). The delayed lock-on definitely sounds like a great addition to the game.

Good question, how they will DLC distribute? I'm certainly interested in AC-130, that would be great DLC :bigsmile:.

What is this fuss about DLC?

As long as the content of DLCs dont change the core of OA + A2 and they are free + optional DLCs - no one is forced to download or buy them. Lets wait and see what kind of higher quality and more complex packages BIS are offering to their customers. Maybe there is no need to have them all and be very happy with core + free content made by BIS and community? :)

Have there been any significant changes to the AI with OA? >> Such changes were already included in patches or beta patches for Arma 2.

:(

I'm certainly interested in AC-130, that would be great DLC.

Unless they also significantly enhance the fire control systems, a "proper" AC-130 is much less fun than you would imagine.

Priceless: Before => After

That, my friends, is a good way to get frostbite. :D

Even when BIS says some of the DLC (oh, sorry, some of the :yay:) will be free, everyone seems to just ignore that part and start whining about the :yay: you have to pay for. FFS. Try reading it again, they said they are thinking about charging for "larger packages" (tehe). To me that sounds like the :yay: that you will have to pay for will include either a significant amount of content or some new features. Almost sounds like they would be mini-expansions... :j: And there will be minor :yay: releases that are free.

Nowdays , you need credit card almost everywhere :p

not in europe you don't. ;)

Atari was one of the first companies to offer DLC on PC (Test Drive Unlimited Carpack and Neverwinter Nights 2 Mysteries of Westgate).

both DLCs had a massive delay due to the implementation of DRM (so as to prevent mass pirating, in theory). both DLCs were also only available through selected electronic distributors, and could be bought by credit card only.

all in all it was a mess.

the Test Drive Unlimited Carpack was the only DLC i've ever paid for, and only because it offered decent content for its price.

if BIS offered quality DLC i might go against my principles and buy, but offering PayPal as an alternate form of payment is a must, in this day and age of online transactions.

i would also encourage BIS to collect their DLC on a disc and distribute it through retailers, the same way Bethesda did with Knights of the Nine and the Fallout 3 DLC. that way, people who do not want to buy online can still get it legally, without having to resort to 'alternative' methods... ;)

I can't see how anyone can be opposed to payed DLC.

It's simple, there aren't that many DLCs that aren't a total rip-off and BIS is now catching the flak.

If BIS offers a reasonable price-to-content ratio most people won't mind. I do think they have a decent record for that (Arrowhead is a bargain) so I shall be optimistic.

maybe we need separate DLC thread now, because I think this topic will be long

Well I won't ever pay for DLC, if they plan to release an expansion pack with all the DLC later maybe they'll get my money.

Still I wonder how they'll secure this, if it's as protected as RH or QG it won't be harder than a simple copy/past of few pbo ... :j:

Anyone got any idea on what kinds of animals we can expect to see?

in any upcoming possible DLC? I guess dancing bananas according to this thread :)

Anyways, is the retail price of ArmA's in the US lower then the price of games from well known parties like codemasters, activision etc? Because in czech rep Yes, it is, so if the dlc would go the same way, in would cost only a few bucks-so, who cares about it? It's gonna be pretty affordable anyway :)

Yea. I don't see how it's possible for this thread to continue anymore without it being about DLC. PLEASE mods, make a new DLC thread and remove the DLC discussion from this one. :(