Sign in to follow this  
callihn

Local path override of .pbo path

I've seen this work before and wished ARMA had it, basicly if you had and addon that referred to this/path/script.sqf, you could create a local file in that path which would be read instead, allowing you to make changes without editing the addons content and thus not creating another addon which needs to be downloaded.

Edited by callihn

Are you talking about file patching? That definitely still works in Arma2.

What is file patching? I've never understood the concept.

It basically means you can develop an addon without having to pack it every time you want to test it. You just have the non-PBO'ed addon structure in your Arma2 directory and it will work as if the you had the addon loaded. You can also "override" certain portions of existing addons (hence "patching"), although this does cause any signature checking to fail. Unpacked data can't be signed.

So it's really just a useful tool for developers. For example, I believe the ACE guys use it. :)

Hmm so I've been using "file patching" all this time without realising it :D

BTW, if you have a folder called "scripts" in your profile folder, and you replicate your addon structure inside it, scripts developed inside this folder will be used rather than the PBO versions. Very useful, it means that you can leave ArmA2 running while you edit the scripts between tests.

For example, I believe the ACE guys use it. :)

Correct. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to make changes across multiple addons at once and test them immediately.

Increases development speed massively :)

And you don't need a scripts folder in your profile ;)

Xeno

And you don't need a scripts folder in your profile ;)

Xeno

Well, you do if you're naturally untidy and you're trying to force some amount of tidyness ;) :D

It basically means you can develop an addon without having to pack it every time you want to test it. You just have the non-PBO'ed addon structure in your Arma2 directory and it will work as if the you had the addon loaded. You can also "override" certain portions of existing addons (hence "patching"), although this does cause any signature checking to fail. Unpacked data can't be signed.

So it's really just a useful tool for developers. For example, I believe the ACE guys use it. :)

Right, only it would be nicer if it would work for all the files, including config and imagine if you will that we could pack our changes into their own added and load it last somehow, I know ID software used such a concept and it worked wonderfully, you could override anything in a pk3 with another pk3 loaded after the original, the possibilities become endless.

BTW, is the current method reading from the profile folder?

Edited by callihn
Question